Apprisen Financial Advocates Reviews | Glassdoor

Apprisen Financial Advocates CEO Michael S. Kappas
Michael S. Kappas
  1. Customer Support

I worked at Apprisen Financial Advocates

Pros

Great people and meaningful work and the benefits were good for a nonprofit. Work environment was okay. Special events and fundraising was always nice.

Cons

Industry was shrinking which means downsizing . Communication between staff and upper management was not great. Middle management worked hard.

Advice to Management

None

Soul sucking environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at Apprisen Financial Advocates full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

The pay was fair and benefits were adequate. The company mission is very admirable, which is what attracted me to the company.

Cons

Once you're on the inside and you observe how the executive team operates, that's when the veil drops and they show their true colors. The CEO and COO are the most unethical individuals I have ever worked with. They misappropriate government funds and fudge audits to cover their tracks. If you question their decisions, you have a target on your back, and it doesn't take them long to sink a knife in to that target. ...

Advice to Management

Step 1 - the board needs to wake up and take a hard look under the covers. Step 2 - Once you've completed Step 1, terminate The CEO and COO and get some ethical leaders in place.

3. Nice place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Gahanna, OH

I have been working at Apprisen Financial Advocates full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Nice work environment, Great people. low turnover. Variety of work

Cons

one late night required a week until 8pm.

Advice to Management

Continue to seek employee's advice and input.

4. review from a long time employee

I worked at Apprisen Financial Advocates

Pros

Great benefits and flexible hours

Cons

management expects you to do the job of 4-5 people and fires you when you don't perform as expected.

Advice to Management

none

• A very negative company culture, and micro management. They don't even provide water at the work place.

I worked at Apprisen Financial Advocates full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

Decent benefit but the pay is very low.

Cons

No chance for personal growth or promotions.

Promises made, promises broken

I worked at Apprisen Financial Advocates for more than 9 years

Pros

Benefits are great. Counseling team and middle management team are dedicated and committed to good client services. Unfortunately, the exec. Management group is only looking for huge profits and completely undermines the hard work and community services provided by the remainder of the staff.

Cons

Working conditions, inconsistent management and no support from executive team- especially HR. I have known the management team for more than 15 years, and before I began working for them I considered them all friends and professional colleagues. However, after the ink is dry, things change (not for the better) dramatically. This organizations preaches one thing to the public and the non-profit credit/financial counseling...

Advice to Management

Advice to Board of Directors: take a good, hard look at your two top leaders in this agency and remember that at the end of the day, YOU are accountable.

Corporate takeovers and deplorable downsizing tactics is their MO. Non profit is questionable???

Former Employee - Financial Services Specialist in North Bend, OR

I worked at Apprisen Financial Advocates full-time for more than 4 years

Pros

Great benefits and competitive wage. Nice retirement package.

Cons

As a financial literacy educator, and counselor, they made me a debt management program pusher. I worked an average of 10 hours a day and got paid for 7 1/2 straight time. I was rated on how many DMP's I was able to set up rather than the financial education I was able to provide.

Advice to Management

If my Executive Director had known what you had planned for our local agency, she would never have agreed to the merger. Our board members are appalled at your tactics for closing us down after taking our bank accounts, our clients and finally firing our last counselor using unethical tactics. I know the truth, and so does the EOUST....Shame on all of you.

• Good job, decent wage, great benefits

Current Employee - Credit Counselor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Apprisen Financial Advocates

Pros

management is great and the job is straight foward. no micromanaging which is the best

Cons

work hours are a little tricky and very structured work schedule is a drag, but hey, its a job

Advice to Management

develop better recognition for the average workers

Good for the community or the bottom line??

Former Employee - Credit Counselor in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Apprisen Financial Advocates

Pros

You are helping clients start thinking about a plan for their financial future. You can also help them out of debt if a Debt Management Plan would be beneficial to their situations. The company also has a very good benefits package and gives 403b without requiring a contribution from the employee. Also a great health package for the whole family.

Cons

Management is not supportive to it's employees. They are driven to increase revenue at the risk of hurting their clients. Decisions are not made with the best interest of the community in mind. They are proclaiming to help clients but may actually hurt them if it means increasing revenue. They are a nonprofit company who considers profits above everything.

Advice to Management

You can not threaten employees and expect them to respect you or stay in your organization. If it is revenue that drives the business is it fair to pretend your a nonprofit?

• It is ok but has low pay

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in [location]

I worked at Apprisen Financial Advocates full-time

Pros

It is nice helping individuals and families. The work environment is nice since you generally will have your own office.

Cons

They have good benefits but low pay. Advancement is unlikely.

Found 12 reviews