Apteligent Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Andrew Levy

1. "Good company, even better people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Apteligent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will get to work with a ton of cutting-edge tech. You'll learn a lot. You'll grow in your career. You'll enjoy a ton of great perks, too, and an awesome office location.

Apeligent is the definitive leader in their space, but they do have significant competition, some from much larger companies (e.g., Twitter, New Relic), so that'll force them to continue moving fast and pushing forward.

For engineers: You'll get to work with some amazing engineers, and you'll get to work FOR an amazing engineer as well. You will have the opportunity to absorb more knowledge here than anywhere else. The relatively small size of the team, combined with the massive scale of the product, means you'll be exposed to everything.

If you enjoy working hard, you'll succeed. There's nowhere to hide for the unambitious and underachievers.

Read the article introducing their Lumos platform. If it excites you (and if you're an engineer, it should), then this could be the perfect employer for you.
    (Note: Glassdoor won't let me include the link in my review, but just search for "Apteligent introducing Lumos".)

Cons

Changing the name from Crittercism to Apteligent was stupid. Smells of new leadership who doesn't know what to do with the company direction-wise, so they're making cosmetic changes rather than meaningful and impactful ones.

There's too much tech in use. You'll get to see and touch everything, but this results in a lack of focus and ability to fully support the product. It's a complex platform that is still hampered by legacy issues--though these are increasingly being addressed and eliminated from what I understand.

Like any startup, it's a rollercoaster ride. Enjoy the ups and endure the downs, and you'll be okay.

Advice to Management

Business management: Decide which market you want to go after and focus on that. Are you selling to enterprises, or individual developers? Do you want to compete with the free products that are out there, or the big boys?

Engineering management: Focus on what you're good at and what differentiates you as a company. Sometimes this comes at the expense of not being able to play with every single tool or library that's out there. Let AWS do the hard work for you, rather than trying to take it all on yourselves.

Overall, I have to agree with another reviewer who said it's time to sell this company. You're a good acquisition target at this point; take advantage before the opportunity passes you up. And don't screw over your employees (both current and former) in the process.

2. "Great product! Great engineers!!"

Former Employee - Director of Engineering in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director of Engineering in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Apteligent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent market space with a great product
    Really smart engineers that are fun to work with
    If you love big data this is the place!
    Location in downtown SF (right on top of Bart)

Cons

The rise and falls you will have in a startup
    Leadership changes ( needs to be seen how effective they are)
    Need to react to market needs and make constant changes
    Past sales leadership and team left a mountain to scale

Advice to Management

Stop hiring and firing and focus on plans
    Be open with employees about sales targets and achievements

3. "Not worth your time"

Former Employee - Business Development in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Apteligent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch, great snacks, beautiful Union Square office

Cons

I was lured to Apteligent with the promise of growth and prosperity. Unfortunately, they are stuck in their ways and don't trust the people they hire to actually do their jobs. The founders are great people but are clearly not equipped to lead a business. That being said, I'm not sure the people they entrusted to run their company are fully competent either. Lots of backdoor dealings and zero transparency.

Advice to Management

Just sell the company at this point. You're never going to beat Twitter's FREE product which is a lot easier to use.

"Move Fast and Improve All The Things"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Apteligent full-time

Pros

Smart friendly people.
    Moving fast, using bleeding edge tech.
    Chance to work at real scale.
    Lots of opportunity to make an impact.
    Great office space, free lunch every day.

Cons

Working on the bleeding edge is a real challenge. You won't be copy pasta from stack overflow.

Advice to Management

Continue the changes implemented in the last year. This new direction is the right way to go.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Apteligent (Less than a year)

Pros

Every one working has a great idea of what their doing
    The atmosphere stimulates work
    Catered lunch and kitchen full of snacks

Cons

Limited flexibility with new features

7. "Death March - Find a real job"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Apteligent (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will learn not to be fooled by a dysfunctional organization, product that doesn't work, and apparently leadership that has a track record of bankrupting companies. Look up their current CEO, and the last company he led....

Cons

Leadership has a track record of BKing companies. Product does not work as advertised. Teams are disconnected, often fight/argue. If you're in the early stages in your career, which is often the only type of talent the company can attract, look elsewhere. You won't learn/advance your career. You'll be put under pressure, treated unfairly, and constantly worried of being fired. And the CEO is no longer Andrew Levy...........Rebranding/Renaming a start-up = Death March

This company was formerly named - Crittercism

Advice to Management

Good luck

"Steering a little more calmly now"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great opportunities to work on large scale data architectures. Free lunch every day, and dinner 2-3 times a week. Friendly people and strong engineering team.

Cons

Engineering and operations teams are often over stretched and maintaining some complex legacy systems. Fortunately a well thought through and ambitious re-architecture is a long way to completion already.

Advice to Management

Continue to execute and improve company culture and invest in growing the engineering team. Remember that engineers also have to have a life outside the office.

"Great people and opportunities"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Apteligent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is really hardworking and passionate about the product and their role within the company. Management is transparent in communicating. There are a tons of opportunities to take on new responsibilities and learn new skills. The work environment is laid back and there are really nice perks like daily catered lunch, tons of snacks, commuter benefits and flexible PTO.

Cons

Nothing that comes to mind as long as we all remember our purpose and what we are here to do.

10. "Fantastic place to work"

Former Employee - Salesforce Administrator in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Salesforce Administrator in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Apteligent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Unlimited time off, relaxed environment, catered lunches and dinners, great benefits, interesting work

Cons

None really. I was laid off but would happily go back given the opportunity.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. This was probably the best job I've ever had.

11. "Great company, great market, incredible opportunity"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Apteligent full-time

Pros

Crittercism has a transparent management philosophy that provides insight into decisions, processes and issues. We are working together as a team and though we work in our departments, much attention is paid to making certain we aren't working in silos. Communication is open and there is little chain of management interferes with you ability to have an honest talk with anyone in any position in the company.

Cons

The only real con is that we're building plans against an emerging marketplace for mobile application management. It's difficult to plan expenses and revenue when your a first mover in a rapidly expanding market that is just getting F2000 attention to the problems you help solve.

Advice to Management

Don't over react to market conditions outside of our control. Realize that we're one of the fastest growing companies any of us will ever have the joy to have contributed to and know that the ultimate market for our solutions will enable us to grow revenue to hundreds of millions annually.