KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Add a Review

Aptify Reviews

Updated Jun 2, 2021

Found 107 of over 108 reviews

Aptify CEO JP Guilbault (no image)
JP Guilbault
Pros
  • "Easy to maintain a work-life balance(in 10 reviews)

• "Nice people, good benefits like unlimited PTO and good 401K matching(in 8 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Everything is cons, salary, work life balance , politics(in 7 reviews)

• "Can be occasional long hours as can happen with smaller company where people wear many hats (a pro for those who like to wear many hats)(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0

A Paragon of Entrepreneurial Spirit

Sep 3, 2017 - Product & Support Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

• Depending on your department, there is an abundance of challenging work. I am frequently tasked with solving extraordinarily difficult problems which almost always have something new to teach me despite being a software developer who isn't shy about the fact I have "seen and done it all" • Depending on your location: flexible work accommodations, unlimited PTO, generous 401K contribution, competitive health benefits, free food, soda and coffee • Relatively modern computing hardware, server and network infrastructure, development and productivity tools, and three exceptional teams of support staff • Embraces individuality which is evident in the expressive and creative personalities each team member displays

Cons

• The motto "Adapt Once, Adapt Often" may be sometimes taken to an extreme which can be overwhelming to some • Global Huddles were an interesting and exciting idea that have been executed pretty flawlessly, but I think it should have been all-or-nothing in terms of the frequency.

7 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

I'm fortunate to truly love what I do

Nov 6, 2015 - Engagement Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

If you are Type-A and a REAL self-starter who prefers to take ownership over tasks and projects, Aptify is the ideal company in which to make a huge impact and feel fulfilled. I am truly grateful to work in a place where I have access to senior management and have the autonomy to make smart decisions without the burden of red tape and silly politics. Working here, you absolutely feel that your efforts have a positive impact on the clients we serve, and the culture is centered around what is right for the client. At Aptify, you work hard and often long hours, but the flexibility & responsibility awarded to you in return are worth it. I love my job.

Cons

If you're someone that needs explicit directions, and would prefer to work in a more rigid, hierarchical company, Aptify is not for you. With the benefit of greater flexibility, you also assume more responsibility over tasks and projects - Aptify is not a great place for those that want to coast by on a 40 hour week. Aptify is good about pushing employees to be accountable in both the workplace and personal life, however, work/life balance can be a challenge here - especially if you are already prone to being a compulsive worker/perfectionist.

CEO

I was super happy to read this review and the objective feedback on where a fit may not be great for some folks. Our #Accountable Core Value is indeed about having the desire to have accountability in all directions. The company is most certainly accountable to each team member to ensure that the environment and opportunities are the best we can possibly make them, and each team member is accountable to themselves, their team members, and ultimately the community, to complete what they have signed up for. While you're right that self-direction is a valued trait here, over time as we have scaled and continue to scale more, we will need to get better at helping folks get started. I think there are some great opportunities for us to provide more clarity on career path/growth, as well as ways to get people started on new projects both faster and with less confusion. I really appreciate the time you took to share this detailed view of the company. Thank you!

3. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work

Jan 4, 2016 - Marketing in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people who work at Aptify are what make it so great. When you respect and get along with your coworkers, you find it much easier to get your work done and wanting to excel. For the most part, everyone is super nice and always willing to help each other out. The benefits are great, too! Aptify offers an unlimited PTO plan, ability to work remote when desired, 401K match, casual dress code, awesome maternity leave policy, and much more. Thanks to the HR team for listening to the needs of the employees!

Cons

Although Aptify does offer opportunity for advancement with a job well done, the pay is lower than many jobs in similar fields at different companies. However, they are transparent as to how pay is calculated (they use a software called Payscale which considers a number of different factors), but pay was still much less than regional averages for similar positions.

1 person found this review helpful

CEO

Thanks for taking the time to share this review, it is much appreciated. Your feedback on compensation is very important to us. We utilize a number of different 3rd party data sources to try to benchmark our compensation (including salary, benefits, and other compensation forms). We do this in an effort to ensure that our compensation ranges for each position are fair and aligned with the market where each position is based. We certainly are not aiming to always be the highest paying company, there will always be another company willing to pay more, what we want is to make sure that there is no material difference and that our team members are well taken care of so that we can focus on personal and professional growth over the long run. In your case, clearly we failed to do this, and we appreciate you sharing this feedback. We aim to get better at this every year, and I think we are making solid progress, but we can always improve further. If you think of any feedback beyond the above that you'd like to provide directly to me, please give me a call 202-368-0533 (cell) or email me at amith.nagarajan@aptify.com. Thanks again and best of luck in your new position!

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Serious About Culture & People

Jun 21, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The past 4 years the company has taken a huge step forward in realizing the importance of committing significant resources and attention to assisting staff to be the best all round people they can be. There is a painted picture which creates a vision for the company over the next three years; The product is positioned to take advantage of the cloud and mobile; Reorganized leadership has autonomy to make changes; Focus on hiring people for talent and organizational fit; Task force put in place to assess how to improve employee retention and highly valued by sr mgmnt Well defined core purpose - why Aptify exists and it isn't about making money; it's about serving the community in a way to make a difference and to change the world, client by client Given staff the authority to make decisions without layers and layers of oversight and approval Great talent and staff are committed to helping one another - silo's are giving way to more collaboration Rockefeller Habits methodology to achieve organizational alignment 'Unlimited' PTO (ie within reason) Ability to work remotely

Cons

Demanding place to work - people work hard by choice, but still put in the hours Health Insurance not so great Would like to see the company more engaged in community outreach programs

CEO

Yes! I LOVE the title of your review - in any company in any location in any industry, the ONLY true competitive differentiator that is durable over time is the People + Culture. We've got a long ways to go in becoming a truly world-class global culture, but we've also made great strides, many of which you've highlighted in your review. I agree that our hard work culture is partly ingrained in our team being aligned around our purpose, but I think we can get better at planning, anticipating and executing projects. We can also think about ways to use new tools and resources to deal with a common challenge of project cycles where go-lives (and other interim milestones) are hugely draining on a large # of team members. The other key is #recovery time - making sure you use enough of that Unlimited PTO that you mention, particularly after a really hard period of time in getting a project done. We need to get better as leaders in encouraging team members to get out of the office more to recover, I know we already do this, but I think that some of the hardest working people here are the ones that are the hardest to convince they need time off (or, not that they need it, but that it's ok to take it). That is one major factor in burnout that we can and should work harder to fix. The whole senior management team discussed this at a recent planning workshop and the input from the global task force that worked on the Retention X project that is now starting to be implemented had great ideas too. On Health Insurance, if you've not already done so, I would encourage you to provide input to the Culture + People team on areas you think should be improved. This is a real challenge - balancing a reasonable cost (for the company and each team member) with the best benefits package, and an area we want to improve in each year. Thanks again for the input and please do keep it coming! -Amith

5. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great People, Good Culture, High Burnout Factor

Jun 17, 2015 - Business Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Aptify hires great people, who are a lot of fun to be around. The co-workers are the single best part of working at Aptify. The flexibility the company provides is outstanding. The CEO's focus on culture is really inspiring. He genuinely cares about employees and makes himself accessible to everyone regardless of role.

Cons

It often times seems like there is a large disconnect between senior management and the CEO. The management team seems to implement policies/processes that don't align with the company culture and employees openly disagree with. There is a high burnout factor -- which everyone acknowledges -- but no one in management seems willing to take the steps necessary to fix the problem. This problem is compounded by the constant rewarding of employee of the month to the most overworked person.

CEO

Thank you! Your message is an inspiration to me. The focus on culture and helping our team members be their best selves is the center of what I spend my energy thinking about. That it has had an impact on your experience is really powerful to hear as feedback. You are right about the disconnect that manifests itself at times. Part of this is my fault - I have introduced new cultural initiatives a bit too fast over the last few years. The flow of ideas have been great and come from many sources, but we have had some self-inflicted challenges with new initiatives being launched. Based on input from the team similar to this, we've decided to slow down introducing new ideas a bit. I still want to maintain a dynamic and fast moving culture that adapts as we learn, but you're right that we need to give things a little more time to settle in. A great example is our focus on Ownership Thinking starting two winters ago. The team really bought into this and we still have this alive, but not nearly to the level it could be if we had continued to emphasize it as much as we did in the first two quarters when we rolled it out. Please know that your feedback is incredibly valuable and I appreciate you being specific about what to stop/start. If you have more feedback in the future, please post it here or provide through any other source you prefer, including calling me at 202-368-0533 or amith.nagarajan@aptify.com anytime. I would love to hear from you!

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Very friendly and flexible work environment

Jun 24, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very friendly environment, as long as you are performing your tasks diligently. People are always willing to help outside their job responsibility. Very little amount of politics that I have seen. Flexibility in work hours and work schedule. As long as you are performing your tasks, you can work during any time of the day and mostly from anywhere you want to. Unlimited PTOs is a great option, though this policy is under review because of some people over-using the option. Very responsive senior management, with an open door policy everywhere.

Cons

Career paths are not defined, you basically have to carve your way through. Once people join Aptify, they feel the great atmosphere and they generally like the place, but once they are settled in, they do find themselves a bit lost because there is no clear career path defined. It is getting better, but it should be improved further.

CEO

Thank you for both the positive feedback, which is great to hear, and also the idea for improvement. I couldn't agree more - defining development paths for our team members is an area we are only average in, not exceptional. I think that we have become average through improvements in this area the last few years, and probably 3-4 years ago were below average. But that is just step 1. One of the goals I have for our culture is to help each person develop into their "best self" - both professionally and personally. The idea of a Personal Painted Picture (P3) is to help each team member envision that future and then our commitment as a company is to do everything we can to help it become real. Each team member OWNS their own Painted Picture, the idea is that the company is a resource, a coach, and a team full of cheering fans to help each person achieve their stated goals. The Professional Development/Career Path piece of this becomes more clear in my experience if a person has a better view of what they truly are passionate about. Too often, people are just looking at the next "level up" of what they already do. There is certainly nothing wrong with that path, it might be a great thing for many. That said, I want to have the team feel the autonomy of choice when it comes to exploring many paths, both within and beyond Aptify. That last bit may sound strange coming from a company CEO. I'm not suggesting I want to grow people and coach them out. Not at all. Rather, what I want for each team member is to dream big and to have Aptify help in every way it can, and through this experience I'm acknowledging that in some cases those dreams might lead to pursuits elsewhere. The point is, that's fine - the idea of a 3 year Personal Painted Picture is to have each team member have a mutual exchange with the team/company during that time, grow like crazy, have fun, serve our purpose, and from there, either do it again with Aptify, or be better for having done that and go elsewhere. My belief is if we embrace this perspective rather than being so worried, like most companies, about how to "map people to a narrow path" - that our retention rate will get stronger and stronger because our culture will be second to none. I wanted to share a bit more of our executive teams thinking, and a great passion of mine in the area that I consider the most important part of leadership - helping people grow. I completely agree with you that what we have in front of us is a field of opportunity to get way better at this and I would love to hear your thoughts on all of this. Please always feel free to reach me at +1-202-368-0533 or amith.nagarajan@aptify.com to share your views. Thanks, -Amith

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Integrity and real core values that matter

Apr 15, 2016 - Senior Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people at Aptify are my #1 favorite thing. We have a great team who share a help-each-other mentality. Since I started nearly 3 years ago, I have been repeatedly shown that our core values matter, and I have watched first-hand while Aptify has made decisions that exemplified our core values. In addition to our people, I truly am proud of our product, where it's come from and the trajectory it has going forward.

Cons

The pace is fast, which sometimes can be extreme. I may thrive on this sometimes, however other times it's too much, and clients and priorities don't really allow excuses. One con that I suppose sticks out is that we can sometimes seem like a machine churning out deliverables on tight timelines, which can be exhausting.

1 person found this review helpful

CEO

Thank you for your review! I am so glad to hear that you enjoy the people you work with and you are experiencing each team member’s commitment to our Core Values. This commitment is a major focus as it truly shapes the direction of the entire company. The pace is definitely fast here at Aptify, and we have been addressing the need for team members and team leaders to pay attention to their stress levels and burnout signs, address warning signs, and find solutions with their leaders before it gets to an elevated level. We strive to be agile and progressive in our business thinking, which includes finding new ways to ensure our teams have all of the tools they need to work as efficiently as possible, so that they can feel confident while they are working against a deadline and can relax when the deliverables are met. We also want every team member to feel like they are not just churning out work, but are connected to the goals of the client and company. I encourage all team members at every level to bring new technologies, applications or processes to their teams/leaders – our ears and minds are open to new suggestions that can make the work we do here faster, better, more cost-effective, or even more meaningful. If you think of any additional feedback that you would like to provide directly to me, you can reach me at 202-368-0533 (cell) or amith.nagarajan@aptify.com

8. 1.0
      Former Employee

Business Analyst

Mar 14, 2017 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

The pros are that health coverage is good and there is a liberal leave policy as well as a good teleworking policy (so you don’t have to travel to Tysons). That being said, the best perks of the job involve not having to go to your job.

Cons

The CEO is relatively non-existent, showing up to talk at a company-wide meeting every couple of months. Sr. Management is ineffective. They provide very little guidance or support and with their ‘Matrix’ style you end up getting different sets of expectations for common deliverables based on who is managing each project. With their lack of training you get reactive feedback (at best) rather than proactive explanations of what is required/expected. Salary is fine, but 401k has a low matching rate unless you last 3 years in which case it vests at a decent percentage, an economic incentive to get people to stay longer than they actually may otherwise. If their software turns you on, you may like it there. If you want to learn sound business principles or improve your professional skill set, look elsewhere.

4 people found this review helpful

Director, Culture and People

Thank you for spending the time to review your experience at Aptify. We are pleased to hear that the salary, health coverage and leave policies are competitive in the marketplace. We work hard to deliver benefits that help our small company differentiate ourselves in our market. I am sorry to hear that the work structure was not a fit for you. Many client projects run concurrently, and to make sure the team is a best fit for the project without burning out any one individual, we do operate in a matrixed environment. This can be a challenge for individuals who are not familiar with it, or prefer to take direction from a single person. Additionally, with our liberal leave and work from home policy comes the option for almost all staff to take time to work from home if needed. This can save someone a long commute on a hectic work day or enable a working parent to be present for a child’s event or doctor’s appointment. Whatever the case, these are schedules and expectations set by team leaders and their team members – all the way up to the executive team. With nearly one quarter of our North American staff working remotely, we have learned to adapt and find ways to “be present” even when we cannot physically be in the same space. This works very well for some team members, and again, can pose a challenge for those who prefer to have their team all in one place, all the time. Also, if you feel you are not getting the support from your manager or mentors that enables you to be successful, we encourage an open door policy here at any level. Talk to your team leader, or even their manager or the COO to let them know what kind of interactions you need to feel empowered in your position. If you have further comments about your review, please feel free to reach out to our Director of Culture & People, Julia Lang at Julia.lang@aptify.com. Thank you again for your review.

9. 2.0
      Current Employee

It's a job

Aug 9, 2015 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great co-workers. Open relaxed atmosphere with low stress. The company does try to provide activities that promote interaction between departments and office locations. Ability to set your work schedule within the company's core hours. They have a good product that will keep the company going strong.

Cons

Position evolved into something very different from the one I interviewed for. Supervisor is so busy learning that they have not time to supervise and guide their employees and are often annoyed when asked for instruction and guidance. Company policies for leave and working from home are policy for a select few. All time off is clocked, counted and held against you. If you don't work in sales or consulting you can pretty much forget working from home. At the end of the day Aptify is just like any other company out there. They talk a good game, but in the end they are the same.

CEO

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. From the above it looks like you're a current team member with Aptify. I don't know from the text if you've tried to provide the feedback you shared here to your team leader or to the Culture + People team, or raise it in some other way? Your concerns are very important to us and I would like to see you find resolution to them. In particular what you note about the position evolving in a way that is different from what you would like to see and your team leader not being available as much as you want. If you feel you've already exhausted these options, I would ask that you consider giving me a call so I can help you. My cell is 202-368-0533 and my email is amith.nagarajan@aptify.com - and I will promise to keeping your identity confidential if you choose to contact me. While the input provided above is helpful as a starting point to understanding your concerns, to make it actionable to actually help you and others who may share these views, I need to dig deeper. Thanks again for sharing this here and for considering my request. PS. On the input regarding policy equality and the PTO - we have heard from others that this has been seen this way at times (noted in some responses to the X Factor project too), and we are working on ways to train everyone on the best way to interpret these policies so they are consistent. -Amith

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great Place!

Jan 12, 2016 - Sales Engineer in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great People, Focus on culture and ensuring that new hires fit in with it. The interview process may be long, but there is method to the madness, Aptify wants to make sure that the candidate is serious about wanting to work here. Aptify is willing to invest in its employees and provide the resources necessary to be successful. The people who work here are serious about helping eachother.

Cons

This is a pro and con, there are a lot of meetings. This is a good thing in that it keep teams aligned, but sometimes they can be disruptive when you need a full day of just work. You can adjust, but sometimes it can be tough.

CEO

Thanks for the great review! Your emphasis on culture and fit are right where we want the focus to be. Our goal in the interview process, as detailed as it may seem, is to make sure the fit is right for the benefit of each candidate and for the company as a whole. Growing our team means helping each team member find their best path and doing all we can to support their growth. Regarding your comment on meetings - yes, you are right about that. Our methodology using Rockefeller Habits does center around the idea of a communications rhythm and while the # of meetings are high, the goal is for these meetings (particularly the Daily Huddles) to be brief, informative, actionable and accountable. The additional layer of meetings between Team Lead and Team Member definitely are time consuming, but are key for developing relationships. As you continue to gain experience within the culture and have ideas on how we can streamline our processes/rhythm, please do keep that feedback flowing in through any channel you are most comfortable with. Including reaching out to me directly if you wish at 202-368-0533 or amith.nagarajan@aptify.com. Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts on this site!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 107 Reviews