Aptify Reviews

Updated Apr 4, 2020

2.8
Aptify CEO JP Guilbault (no image)
JP Guilbault
Pros
  • "Aptify has flexibility and is sensitive to employee work life balance(in 9 reviews)

• "Nice people, good benefits like unlimited PTO and good 401K matching(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance is minimal, even if it seems otherwise at first(in 6 reviews)

• "Based on project timelines and workload sometime long hours are required(in 6 reviews)

"A Paragon of Entrepreneurial Spirit"

5.0
    Current Employee - Product & Support Engineer in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Aptify full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

• Depending on your department, there is an abundance of challenging work. I am frequently tasked with solving extraordinarily difficult problems which almost always have something new to teach me despite being a software developer who isn't shy about the fact I have "seen and done it all" • Depending on your location: flexible work accommodations, unlimited PTO, generous 401K contribution, competitive health benefits, free food, soda and coffee • Relatively modern computing hardware, server and network infrastructure, development and productivity tools, and three exceptional teams of support staff • Embraces individuality which is evident in the expressive and creative personalities each team member displays

Cons

• The motto "Adapt Once, Adapt Often" may be sometimes taken to an extreme which can be overwhelming to some • Global Huddles were an interesting and exciting idea that have been executed pretty flawlessly, but I think it should have been all-or-nothing in terms of the frequency.

Aptify2017-09-03

"Great culture going through a transition"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at Aptify full-time

Pros

Awesome team: really smart, passionate teammates. A real sense that we are delivering value to clients not just delivering software. I also like that as long as I'm being accountable to my team and clients, I can take time off to recharge when I need and in between projects.

Cons

The merger has put some strain on thing but for the most part we are business as usual. Management has had some hiccups but they are doing best they can to be direct and open, providing updates on regular basis while still figuring out the future direction.

Aptify2017-08-25

"Good company going thru transition"

4.0

I have been working at Aptify full-time

Pros

Strong culture is helping get thru transition. #flexible core value is stretching some team members, but overall team continues to pursue strong product and service offerings

Cons

As with any transition, there are changes and unknowns. Can be stressful at times.

Aptify2017-08-24

"You will earn your unlimited vacation and time off"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Aptify full-time for less than a year

Pros

Remote most of the time and unlimited vacation and paid time off.

Cons

Management willing to lose hard working employees if they aren't innovative or selling the company. You have to keep driving home new ideas or selling services or you are out. It doesn't matter if you work hard or deliver, you have to impact the bottom line.

Aptify2017-07-13

August 1, 2017Director, Culture and People

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that this position seemed not to be a fit for you. Our core values of Flexible, Accountable, Innovative and Responsive do describe the kind of person we hope to hire. As part of fostering a culture of innovation -we want to empower our team members to think of ideas and bring them to their team leads and management. This kind of engagement is important whether or not the innovative new idea can be implemented or not. Additionally, it is of utmost importance that our client-facing team members actively listen to the client to understand their needs, and make suggestions of products or services that will help the client achieve their goals. This kind of active listening does impact the bottom line as we are seen a trusted adviser to our clients and hope to earn their continuing business and referrals. Thank you again for taking the time to review your experience at Aptify.

5. "Senior Management was not helpful"

1.0

I worked at Aptify full-time

Pros

All the Pros became Cons after new management

Cons

The senior management does not share enough information. There is no growth with in the company The HR does not even look at your concerns.

Aptify2017-08-21

August 22, 2017Director, Culture and People

I am sorry your work experience here at Aptify was not ideal. I would like to hear more about the specific management changes that lead to your dissatisfaction. We can only address problems we have been made aware of, and that starts with getting feedback from our employees. If you do not feel comfortable reaching out to the Culture & People team you may also reach out to Mark Patterson at Mark.Patterson@aptify.com.

"Not bad not good"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at Aptify full-time for more than a year

Pros

- small shop - focused business

Cons

- big transition to cloud is required - huge technical debt

Aptify2017-05-30

July 13, 2017Director, Culture and People

Thanks for leaving your review. We also think our focused business is what differentiates us from other software firms. As you may know technical debt is common in all software companies. In a recent release of our product we spent a meaningful portion of team’s effort on technical debt. We are pretty confident of our balanced approach for prioritization in addressing our customer’s requirements and clearing tech debt items from our backlog to make our product & customer’s experience better. At the end of the day this balance is what has enabled us to continue to grow in our market.

"Poorly run company"

2.0

I worked at Aptify full-time

Pros

Nice people, good benefits like unlimited PTO and good 401K matching.

Cons

Hypocritical management. Male-chauvinistic place. Long hours.

Aptify2017-04-09

April 24, 2017Director, Culture and People

I am glad to hear positive reviews regarding the people and benefits here at Aptify. We consistently hear that the team is the best part of working at Aptify! While there are projects that may require long hours, we hope our liberal leave and work from home policies help our team members achieve balance. I am disappointed to hear that you feel the actions of management are hypocritical and/or chauvinistic. Without more details it is difficult to address your specific concerns, but as the Director of Culture & People, it is my goal to promote a working environment that is a fair, comfortable and engaging place to be for all of our team members. I encourage you to please contact me directly at Julia.lang@aptify.com to address these concerns in more detail.

8. "Culture"

4.0
    Business Analyst in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Aptify for less than a year

Pros

Never seen a company so focused on culture

Cons

There is not enough free food

Aptify2017-03-30

April 13, 2017Director, Culture and People

Thanks for your review! I’m glad you are enjoying your experience, and hopefully the food here at Aptify. The company provided snacks and monthly lunches are an important part of the culture we have grown with our team members. They provide not only fuel for our bodies and brains but also an opportunity to break bread with our colleagues who we may not get to see very often due to client visits and travel schedules. Thanks, again!

"Business Analyst"

1.0

I worked at Aptify

Pros

The pros are that health coverage is good and there is a liberal leave policy as well as a good teleworking policy (so you don’t have to travel to Tysons). That being said, the best perks of the job involve not having to go to your job.

Cons

The CEO is relatively non-existent, showing up to talk at a company-wide meeting every couple of months. Sr. Management is ineffective. They provide very little guidance or support and with their ‘Matrix’ style you end up getting different sets of expectations for common deliverables based on who is managing each project. With their lack of training you get reactive feedback (at best) rather than proactive explanations of what is required/expected. Salary is fine, but 401k has a low matching rate unless you last 3 years in which case it vests at a decent percentage, an economic incentive to get people to stay longer than they actually may otherwise. If their software turns you on, you may like it there. If you want to learn sound business principles or improve your professional skill set, look elsewhere.

Aptify2017-03-14

April 13, 2017Director, Culture and People

Thank you for spending the time to review your experience at Aptify. We are pleased to hear that the salary, health coverage and leave policies are competitive in the marketplace. We work hard to deliver benefits that help our small company differentiate ourselves in our market. I am sorry to hear that the work structure was not a fit for you. Many client projects run concurrently, and to make sure the team is a best fit for the project without burning out any one individual, we do operate in a matrixed environment. This can be a challenge for individuals who are not familiar with it, or prefer to take direction from a single person. Additionally, with our liberal leave and work from home policy comes the option for almost all staff to take time to work from home if needed. This can save someone a long commute on a hectic work day or enable a working parent to be present for a child’s event or doctor’s appointment. Whatever the case, these are schedules and expectations set by team leaders and their team members – all the way up to the executive team. With nearly one quarter of our North American staff working remotely, we have learned to adapt and find ways to “be present” even when we cannot physically be in the same space. This works very well for some team members, and again, can pose a challenge for those who prefer to have their team all in one place, all the time. Also, if you feel you are not getting the support from your manager or mentors that enables you to be successful, we encourage an open door policy here at any level. Talk to your team leader, or even their manager or the COO to let them know what kind of interactions you need to feel empowered in your position. If you have further comments about your review, please feel free to reach out to our Director of Culture & People, Julia Lang at Julia.lang@aptify.com. Thank you again for your review.

"Culture Is A Work In Progress"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tysons Corner, VA

I worked at Aptify full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is a challenging environment where you will learn a great deal. Many great team members who care about the customer and the product.

Cons

Cheerleading culture can be a little heavy handed. Software development processes are not mature.

Aptify2016-10-20

November 9, 2016Director, People and Culture

Thank you for your thoughtful, yet brief, review. I am always happy to hear that great co-workers are consistently a “pro” for us at Aptify. Cheerleading is an important part of growing the FAIR culture that we have at Aptify. Creating an environment where team members and team leaders call each other out for a job well done and for celebrating successful launches is a major part of this culture. We have built an exceptionally strong product and customer rapport by being flexible in our software development processes, however we do recognize that as we grow, even more standardization will streamline processes for our team members and clients. We will continue to make forward progress in this area. Additionally, our progress towards revenue and profit goals is always posted and updated for all team members to see and analyze. We encourage all team members to take an active interest in those numbers and ask questions. Thank you again for your comments.

Found 94 reviews