Apttus Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Apttus CEO Frank Holland
Frank Holland

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They are market leader in Quote to Cash space" (in 20 reviews)

• "Great work environment with fantastic work life balance" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Somewhere work life balance and monetary appreciation could be better" (in 30 reviews)

• "growing pains’ but the issues are down to the lack of leadership and poor C-Level management" (in 18 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Responsible growth in motion. Great opportunities this year for existing and new employees."

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Apttus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Consistent market leadership.
    - Strong camaraderie, especially among employees who have been at Apttus for a couple of years.
    - Real opportunity for young talent to grow and make an impact fast.
    - More structured decision making and better communication following the acquisition.
    - Following months of business planning, tangible positive changes are starting to materialize. Hiring has restarted and growth investments are now being executed in a more thoughtful and responsible manner compared to prior stages of the company.

Cons

- New owner could be more open-minded about equity incentives for both existing employees and new hires.

Advice to Management

- Communicate next level of details on changes being done with all employees. Over-communication at this time is still very important as employees continue to adjust from a year of multiple changes.

"Just The Facts..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Apttus full-time

Pros

Here are the facts. Apttus has been through a LOT of change. Even marginal change is hard for some people. Going through the wholesale changes Apttus has gone through is VERY difficult for anyone to adjust to. All of this has been done to ensure the culture is one that all of us can be proud of. All of this has been done to ensure we deliver first-in-class products, implementations, and support to our customers. The new ownership and leadership is 100% committed to the success of this company, its employees, and its customers.

The negative reviews on this site are largely from legacy employees who want things to be the way they used to be. They harbor sentimentality for the ways of the past. Unfortunately, those are the very things that led Apttus to the critical point at which these changes were necessary. As you evaluate Apttus, it is important to keep that in mind. I am very confident in the existing leadership. Independent experts have already said we have the best products in the market. We are not perfect and as such, we are working on correcting the few areas that we need to invest in for the sake of our customers and our employees.

If you are interested in loose management structures, undisciplined approaches to product development and product delivery, and no accountability to achieve sales goals…then we are not the company for you.

If you are interested in working for a company that is committed to the success of their employees, customers and ultimately company, then we are a place for you. We will win and we are looking for winners to join us in our quest to dominate this space.

Cons

Some employees are simply incapable of letting go of the past and embracing the future.

Advice to Management

We are committed to the cause and the journey to get Apttus to a 1B company. It would be nice if new leadership recognized the sacrifices employees will have to make in 2019 and reward accordingly through equity opportunities and/or other incentives.

"Tremendous Potential; Clearly headed toward $1B in revenue"

I have been working at Apttus full-time

Pros

* Huge market opportunity, just scratching the surface
    * Category Leader across core business segments, (Gartner/Forrester)
    * Exceptional 2018 results despite change, (New C-Suite, Thoma Bravo acquisition)
    * Thoma Bravo is making substantial investments, (product, marketing, personnel, and creating sustainable operational efficiency)
    * Current leadership, alongside Thoma Bravo's expertise will maximize full potential

Cons

* Organizational change is hard/takes time
    * Reset for some unprofitable, yet notable clients as the company matures

Advice to Management

* Stay the course, don't let distractions alter the strategy

"Problems everywhere"

Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Apttus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Analyst leading products and a fully integrated and organically built product stack

Cons

Horrible senior leadership (CRO), blatant favoritism, unethical behavior.
    Below average benefits with no 401k match
    Lack of a serious response to some unethical acusations

Advice to Management

The current CRO drives an 'Good old boys" culture with former associates from Tibco and now Career Builder. If you aren't one of his circle, than even above quota performance does not earn recognition. Apttus won't get any better until he is gone

5. "Good company to work for engineers"

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Apttus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good working environment and decent compensation

Cons

Sometimes the workload is too much to handle

"No clarity on the future of the company"

Current Employee - Consultant in America, AL
    Current Employee - Consultant in America, AL

I have been working at Apttus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good talent
    Good products in CLM/CPQ based on SFDC

Cons

Company management is not able to instill confidence in the employees about the future of the company and where it is headed. Lot of good talent has left the company in the past 6 months and more will leave in coming months depending on the bonus payout. Promises made to the employees have not been kept There are too many products with not much revenue but are still being built.
    There is no clarity in the vision of the product. Few years back they were moving from SFDC to Azure. Now they want to move back to SFDC. Project and product teams working on azure platform do not know what will happen to them.
    There has been no communication about promotions, internal transfers, compensation reviews and performance reviews.
    The Chief revenue officer has been in the news for all the wrong reasons but is still with the company, apparently due to a $26 million golden parachute.
    The employee morale is at its lowest and every Friday you hear about few people leaving the company from almost all departments.
    TB has been trying to change things around with culture and other initiatives but there has been no tangible change in the past 6 months after acquisition.

Advice to Management

You should have a third party conducted employee survey to understand the mood of the company. I'm sure you'll get good insight into it. Just conducting all hands with no visible change is not helping anyone. Incentivize the employees to retain them. Fire the CRO if you really mean business and are serious about changing the culture. If things are not addressed in a timely manner, Apttus will lose its customer base to its competitors and all the value it had created in the past few years.

"Uncertain Future"

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Apttus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great talent at Apttus
    - Solid product offering and large footprint
    - I have learned a lot in my time here

Cons

Life at Apttus is stressful due to many reasons. I will cover the top 2.

1. Company Culture: There are many glassdoor posts already regarding nepotism, and lack of empathy for the individual. I see that Thoma Bravo (TB) is trying to improve the culture, but this will take time, perhaps one or two years. Especially since many of the enablers of this bad culture remain in the company. Human behavior is hard to change and takes time. I've seen great talent leave Apttus as a direct result of unkept promises and disregard for the individual sacrifices one makes.

2. Non-existent promotions and salary increases: This is a MAJOR item that has not been addressed by TB. It is brought up by employees in nearly every All-Hands meeting, and I'm very frustrated that Apttus has continually sidestepped this topic. Even though we have fresh executive leadership they have failed to address this concern. I think it is deliberately not being addressed. The chief people officer is wrong to say that there are "other" factors that also contribute to employee satisfaction and it's not just money. WRONG - why doesn't the leadership explain that to themselves, and work for less than their market value, which is what we employees have been doing for so long! Money is crucial in its contribution towards employee satisfaction. I have seen VP's directly praise individuals, only to see those individuals leave since the appreciation didn't translate into dollars. Words are cheap when not backed up.

Advice to Management

Frank please read these glassdoor reviews, because they are an unfiltered view of Apttus' current state. Though there are a lot of reviews here that are emotional, and some are stemming from unique circumstances, there is valuable feedback in each review. Overall there is a very clear pattern of employee dissatisfaction. This should be analyzed and made the basis for tangible change. Employees are the biggest asset for any company! Treat employees as you would like to be treated.

"Imploding"

Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Apttus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Analyst s agree that Apttus is the leader in product and the fully integrated suite, organically grown product stack is great

Cons

Sales leadership (CRO) fosters a good old boys network with a large swath of former employees from Tibco and Career Builder. Regardless of above quota performance, only his network gets recognition.

Benefits stink and there is no 401k match
    Customer concerns are ignored and platform issues and changes are dumped on customers without warning

Advice to Management

A change in sales leadership, an ethical and respected leader is needed to improve culture

"Falling Knife Hasn't Hit the Floor Yet"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Apttus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CPQ is the best in the industry right now

Cons

Thoma Bravo board seems committed to the current CRO, who has been the subject of alot of negative press. This is the reason why almost all long term employees and talented new ones just up and left within the past few months. more specifically:
    - Sales leadership is comprised of followers of the CRO to Apttus, and they do not know how to sell this product, nor do they intend on understanding it
    - Customer Success was virtually eliminated because of the legacy software mindset of leadership - if you don't take care of your customers they will leave
    - All employee complaints are muted up the chain of command to the new CEO and board level, so they are not taking action
    - Customers no longer view Apttus as a viable long term partner (and a very small percentage remain reference-able)
    - Partners are all fleeing to work with Salesforce and other competitors

Advice to Management

option 1: overhaul your senior mgmt - let Frank bring in his own people who share the same values/vision, and increase marketing spend to own and address the damaging business insider articles (those are true). The vision of being a complete middle office is dead given what's left, and large customers have lost faith knowing they've been sold vaporware.
    option 2: If possible sell this either in pieces - CPQ/CLM/Billing - or as a whole in order to get a positive return on your investment. Resources that were not laid off as part of the acquisition have quit over the past 4-5 months and you'll continue losing market share being stretched too thin.

"If the Titanic and the Hindenburg started a business together you’d get Apttus"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Apttus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- They have coconut water in the fridge at HQ
    - Negative culture drives you to drink, giving you opportunities to try new varieties of liquor and wine

Cons

The list is way too long to mention them all but here are a few:
    - Dysfunctional leadership (formerly from Tibco and Careerbuilder) has created a culture based on fear and harassment
    - HR is not for the people but are there to keep these messages from bubbling up to Thoma Bravo and board members
    - Product reliability has led to unfulfilled promises for customers, leaving them struggling to explain to their stakeholders why they chose Apttus in the first place
    - Talented people are leaving at a rapid clip
    - Enjoyment, laughter and the feelings of a job well done have been eradicated for all corners of the company

Advice to Management

It may be too late to salvage this company. Drastic overhaul and removal of top executives needs to happen immediately.