Aqua-Tots Swim Schools Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated 18 Oct 2019

3.7
Aqua-Tots Swim Schools CEO Paul Preston
Paul Preston
  1. "DO NOT WORK AT AQUA TOTS"

Current Employee - Water Safety Instructor in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools part-time for less than a year

Pros

there are absolutely no pros

Cons

the MANAGERS SUCK very much

Advice to Management

stop being mean

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2019-09-11
  2. "Great Company when the right people are in charge"

Current Employee - Front Desk Receptionist in Matthews, NC

I have been working at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible hours You can earn PTO

Cons

Shorter shifts during off season

Advice to Management

Listen to your GMs when it comes to staffing and setting realistic quarterly sales goals

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2019-07-30
  3. "Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Roswell, GA

I have been working at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools part-time for less than a year

Pros

I love my co-workers, management, company culture

Cons

The pay is fine for younger people (college aged) but hard to raise a family on. There are a lot of little tasks that need to get done behind the desk. It's difficult to complete everything at a high volume location without having more staff members behind the desk.

Advice to Management

Need more front desk staff for high volume locations or things fall through the cracks.

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2019-06-12
  4. "Review"

Former Employee - Water Safety Instructor in Pearland, TX

I worked at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great environment and staff on hand

Cons

Pay was not as desired

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2019-06-25
  5. "Decent First/Part-Time Job"

Former Employee - Swim Safety Instructor and Front Desk Associate in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools part-time for less than a year

Pros

Comfortable environment Treats customers and employees with respect Decent pay/flexible hours Paid Training

Cons

Will not offer full-time status unless hiring for admin position Hesitant and very slow to make pool/pool room repairs Requires one on-call day per week from employees (I saw it as a benefit) BIG NO-NO: Some franchises force instructors to push kids to graduation before they are ready, in order to meet monthly numbers and to keep parents happy.

Advice to Management

Please, do not pressure instructors simply "pass" the students for the sake of meeting monthly goals and appeasing parents. Your motto is "Safety first, fun every second". The situations this practice breeds are dangerous. New and even experienced instructors have developed complexes in assessing and training students properly due to management using forceful methods to graduate students to the next level. If a... student is not progressing in time with his peers, please do not replace the current instructor just to graduate that student with inferior skills to the next level where the next level instructor will constantly struggle to keep said child and his peers safe and functioning. I experienced this at two different locations. At the time, all instructors agreed with me but some did what they were told and ended up making safety issues for the student and next instructor. Also, there were some hefty repairs needed for the deck and pool room that caused serious injury to employees and customers alike before being properly addressed and fixed. I unfortunately was not able to witness the actual repair before I left. Although, management did seem to finally be showing concern and actions after employees were showing proof of needing medical attention.

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2019-06-04
  6. "Amazing Work Environment"

Current Employee - Swim Instructor and Front Desk Staff in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

Aqua Tots is a wonderful work environment. They really try their best to focus on our core values. However, it truly depends on the management staff you have at the time. I began my employment with WONDERFUL managers. However, as management began to change, the work environment and atmosphere began to change drastically. Aqua Tots is a wonderful company as long as it is run well. Paid time off even for part time... employees, wonderful connections with your kids, and a positive atmosphere for he most part. Challenging and great work environment to grow and better yourself.

Cons

Long hours with no breaks in between to use the restroom or get a snack when in the water. Front desk requires you telling the customers no when the customers know the manager will just say yes. Very difficult interactions because of this.

Advice to Management

Please adhere to the policies. It makes it very difficult for the staff when every customer knows the management will say yes and not abide by our policies when we must.

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2019-04-28
  7. "Transparent and caring work environment!!"

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

People that truly care about you! The owners invest in developing you and your teammates. Abide by their core values! Really do care about the kids and teaching to the highest standard we can to help prevent drownings

Cons

High turnover due to age and stage of life of most employees- mostly because they hire great people and they then get awesome opportunities... catch 22 Because it is a franchise I can only speak about my specific owners. There may be differences depending on where you go.

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2019-04-20
  8. "I love the kids, management need work"

Current Employee - Swim Instructor in Novi, MI

I have been working at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools part-time for more than a year

Pros

My favorite part is working with young children who I get so connected too. My coworkers are great and fun to be around. We also get wsi swim instructor certified and have tons of training. If you think you can't handle being an instructor then think again because we are very well trained. We also get monthly meetings and weekly updates which I love because we get advice and go over instructing. Also the meetings... are fun and the weekly updates includes praises.

Cons

We are forced to work sick unless we give a doctors note. If we miss a meeting due to an illness we have to make it up or get written up and it's not paid. It's unfair because sometimes we have doctor's notes excusing it and if it's a meeting maybe recap it, record it or pay us to attend. It's not fair to us that we were sick and couldn't be there and now won't get paid. The boss will sometimes snap at you,... several times he's snapped while I'm in the pool asking a quick question. If you look young master instructors will assume your in high school and not treat you seriously. There is a huge age discrimination issue I feel. Once I told I was older I got treated better. We do have to clean poop/puke in the pool, sometimes dive down using goggles to get it. Some kids are scared and pull your hair and scream in your face.

Advice to Management

Consider being more patient. One time I got yelled at for a kid puking just as he entered the pool. It wasn't my fault, it was just him entering and he puked, management said it was breath control and yelled in front of parents.

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2019-05-01
  9. "Great job just not long term"

Current Employee - Swim Teacher in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great kids and families Same schedule every week Fast paced, but not hectic Pay not bad

Cons

Short shifts Affects skin and hair Difficult to advance Management can be condescending

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2019-05-01
  10. "The poor management.Every week it was a instructor quitting .Managers talk about children & parents!"

I worked at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools

Pros

Staff member & nothing else

Cons

No breaks Poor management Hours SUCKED!!!

Advice to Management

Please fix your attitude!

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2019-05-16