Aqua-Tots Swim Schools Swim Instructor Reviews | Glassdoor

Paul Preston
  1. "Amazing!"

Current Employee - Swim Instructor

I have been working at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools part-time

Pros

Great management and staff, love it here!

Cons

No cons to this job

Advice to Management

NA

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2019-09-02
  2. "I love the kids, management need work"

Current Employee - Swim Instructor in Novi, MI

I have been working at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools part-time for more than a year

Pros

My favorite part is working with young children who I get so connected too. My coworkers are great and fun to be around. We also get wsi swim instructor certified and have tons of training. If you think you can't handle being an instructor then think again because we are very well trained. We also get monthly meetings and weekly updates which I love because we get advice and go over instructing. Also the meetings... are fun and the weekly updates includes praises.

Cons

We are forced to work sick unless we give a doctors note. If we miss a meeting due to an illness we have to make it up or get written up and it's not paid. It's unfair because sometimes we have doctor's notes excusing it and if it's a meeting maybe recap it, record it or pay us to attend. It's not fair to us that we were sick and couldn't be there and now won't get paid. The boss will sometimes snap at you,... several times he's snapped while I'm in the pool asking a quick question. If you look young master instructors will assume your in high school and not treat you seriously. There is a huge age discrimination issue I feel. Once I told I was older I got treated better. We do have to clean poop/puke in the pool, sometimes dive down using goggles to get it. Some kids are scared and pull your hair and scream in your face.

Advice to Management

Consider being more patient. One time I got yelled at for a kid puking just as he entered the pool. It wasn't my fault, it was just him entering and he puked, management said it was breath control and yelled in front of parents.

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2019-05-01

"Wasn’t for me"

Current Employee - Swim Instructor in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools part-time for less than a year

Pros

It is a job Get to work with kids

Cons

Have to submerge kids even if they are fighting it Have 30 min classes that always run over so you constantly have to make up time No bathroom breaks Can’t fill out the child’s aquacard right after the lesson so you have to try to remember where everyone was and fill them in at the end of the shift(which can cause the kid to not advance as fast) Have to stick to the curriculum taught and can’t deviate at all... (not even a little) Training is awful, very strict and they yell at you (which isn’t how I learn so I end up blanking and not learning anything which leads to more yelling. I left crying twice) Doesn’t pay enough for what’s expected

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2018-08-12
  4. "Terrible work environment!"

Current Employee - Swim Instructor

I have been working at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools part-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of the kids are super fun. Watching the kids learn to swim and progress through skills is really exciting. Some of the staff I work with have been very kind to me.

Cons

Very hostile attitude! coworkers whipped each other with wet towels! No scheduled breaks! Very emotionally taxing to be paid to submerge crying children underwater. All other staff are either teenagers or college age and carry a heavy attitude, completely unprofessional. I wanted to enjoy working here so badly, but between my coworkers hazing me, and the fast paced nature of the classes, I cant work here any longer.

Advice to Management

Please manage worker behavior :(

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2018-04-10

"Swim Instructor"

Former Employee - Swim Instructor in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools part-time

Pros

Teaching children to reach swimming goals. Seeing the smiling faces of the swimmers and parents.

Cons

Having a swim background myself, I enjoyed teaching lessons to kids. If AT format of lessons were not followed perfectly you were called on it and in a less than professional way. The lesson plans are in black and white - I get it - Kids are not black and white. Modification to a lesson plan should be allowed as long as the swimmer ultimately achieves the intended goal. The enjoyment as an employee is lost quickly.... Even though swimmers reach their goals and families are happy, management can ALWAYS find a flaw in the way you taught that lesson. Extremely low praise or appreciation shown by management.

Advice to Management

FOLLOW "THE CORE VALUES" THAT YOU HAVE YOUR STAFF FOLLOW! LEAD BY EXAMPLE. Simply put have management employed at your locations and appropriate and experienced management. The employee turnover is unbelievable. Very few employees felt appreciated or wanted. It was as if the employees were more of a pain in the butt to management. Zero room for advancement! One broken promise after another from management.

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2017-12-12
  6. "The owner, Arlette, for Helotes and rim location is horrible !"

Former Employee - Swim Instructor in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools part-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed teaching kids & the friendly environment. Discounts on food Discounts on swim lessons for loved ones Schedule was flexible if you're in high school

Cons

The owner is all about herself. Doesn't really care about anything. Only concerns is if she's making money. She'll schedule her kids to work at the store (and they never do anything) and everyone else ends up paying the price if something goes wrong. Parents get upset because the lessons are the same every class.

Advice to Management

The owner should really consider better management skills like the GM at the Helotes location. He's a great leader.

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2017-07-28
  7. "WSI"

Former Employee - Swim Instructor in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools full-time for more than a year

Pros

I enjoyed my managers and cooperate were really nice! Family aspect amongst employees Incredible pay for high school and college students Very easy to pick out your schedule

Cons

The pool wasn't always under health code Spoiled children are almost always gonna be an issue Sometimes pay got cut so you didn't always get what you worked for. The inservices were sometimes helpful but sometimes were only a social activity

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work but don't be sketchy!

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2017-06-06
  8. "WSI"

Swim Instructor in Westminster, CA

I have been working at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools for more than a year

Pros

Work family atmosphere, teach children live-saving skills and have fun!

Cons

Wear a swimming cap if you dont want damaged hair!

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing job! They cherish their workers!

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2017-01-12
  9. "One of the Best Places I've Ever Worked"

Current Employee - Swim Instructor in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This place is great! It's a very rewarding job where you get to go in and actually teach a life skill to kids! You end up building great relationships with the kids as well as the staff, management and owners. I loved working here! My specific owners definitely make you feel like family and have your best interest in mind.

Cons

It was difficult at times when we transitioned from summer to fall. We would have a lot of instructors leave off to college and so those of us that stayed picked up a lot of extra shifts for a while. (Although it was also kind of nice on the paycheck)

Advice to Management

Only thing I can think of was better communication between the stores - Otherwise they were great!

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2016-09-20
  10. "instructor"

Swim Instructor

I worked at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools

Pros

Seeing kids smile and laugh!

Cons

Unorganized management and lot of drama! You don't get trained very well, they just kind of throw you in there and go behind your back and not address issues to your face.... Very shady beware!

Advice to Management

Dont pretend to know what you are doing then run away from your mistakes.

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2016-08-23