Aqua-Tots Swim Schools Water Safety Instructor Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools Water Safety Instructor Reviews

Updated Oct 16, 2019

2.0
Aqua-Tots Swim Schools CEO Paul Preston
Paul Preston
  1. "Great entry level job for those still in school or working other jobs."

Current Employee - Water Safety Instructor in Springboro, OH

I have been working at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great coworkers and management, excellent experience teaching children, great entry level pay ($9.75 during training). Relatively low stress and short hours make working here easy to fit into busier schedules for those who are going to school or working other jobs.

Cons

Short shifts, few hours unless willing to substitute and also work multiple positions. Hard to get consistent hours. In services can be difficult.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and continue treating employees well and they will return the favor with hard work! Keeping a fun and low-stress environment helps reduce turnover rate when the going gets tough.

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2018-07-20
  2. "Super rewarding! Tons of fun!"

Current Employee - Water Safety Instructor

I have been working at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools part-time for more than a year

Pros

LOVE getting to bond and grow relationships with kids and families, great life skills, good first job

Cons

occasional lack of communication between families and staff as well as manager and employers

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2019-10-16
  3. "Rewarding job with horrible staff."

Former Employee - Water Safety Instructor in Surprise, AZ

I worked at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools part-time for less than a year

Pros

Work with kids Families are happy and excited to come swim Meet fantastic kids and families Learn great life skills

Cons

No breaks. If you have to pee you will be told to pee in the pool. If an "in water incident" happens you must clean it. This means you are cleaning vomit, feces, etc. Kids will hit, kick, scream, spit, throw things at you (which is expected, but its not in the job description and they sure don't pay enough for it) Getting a shift covered is impossible. Their "core values" do not align with the actual... representation from management to staff. "relationships over profits"? NOPE. All they want is MONEY. They advertise higher than they actually pay. i.e. $12.50 actually ends up being $11.00. No negotiations. The work you do is not probable cause for a raise. Work your heart out, it doesn't matter. Chlorine is rarely where it is supposed to be. Be prepared for dry skin, rashes, and hair loss. The location I worked at had multiple spots of BLACK MOLD. These were even noticed and pointed out by customers. Multiple leaking spots which led to this. The teaching cards we used had BLACK MOLD in between the lamination. Full time staff do not get benefits.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Happy staff = happy customers. Get new management/even out work loads. Stop over working your employees.

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2019-08-31
  4. "DO NOT WORK AT AQUA TOTS"

Current Employee - Water Safety Instructor in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools part-time for less than a year

Pros

there are absolutely no pros

Cons

the MANAGERS SUCK very much

Advice to Management

stop being mean

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2019-09-11
  5. "Review"

Former Employee - Water Safety Instructor in Pearland, TX

I worked at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great environment and staff on hand

Cons

Pay was not as desired

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2019-06-25
  6. "Water Safety Instructor Review"

Current Employee - Water Safety Instructor

I have been working at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools part-time for less than a year

Pros

The kids are enjoyable and some of the families are fun to work with. They don't give you a lot of hours. (This could be a con depending on your current situation)

Cons

They really do not care about employees. They do not help you in finding subs when you are ill or going on vacation. At my location we were not aloud to play games with the kids as we were only allowed to practice skills. We had to submerge children even if they were visibly fighting it. Little to no career advancement.

Advice to Management

Show more appreciation for your instructors by helping with time off, encouraging fun in the lessons, and provide constructive criticism and positive feedback rather than just blatant criticism.

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2018-06-21

"Great company"

Current Employee - Water Safety Instructor in Troy, MI

I have been working at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools part-time for more than a year

Pros

Staff outings, great place to work, lot's of friends, good pay

Cons

Lots of kids and families if you don't do well around kids this isn't the job for you.

Advice to Management

Keep an open door policy and communicate with everyone what they need to improve.

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2017-10-26
  8. "juice isn't worth the squeeze."

Former Employee - Water Safety Instructor in Lone Tree, CO

I worked at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools part-time for more than a year

Pros

First and foremost- you have the ability to teach children a skill that could potentially save their lives, which is HUGE! I also felt a great sense of accomplishment when you work with a child and watch them develop, overcome fears, progress with skills and become successful swimmers. The kids I worked with brightened my life so much I was actually willing to excuse the laundry list listed in the cons column for... quite a while...

Cons

One of the bigger downfalls is the hours are minimal, and the shifts are short; ie: 8:45am-1:30pm. Another huge issue was actually violating labor laws by not allowing any ability for a rest or bathroom break- all due to the scheduling of classes. If you are scheduled for a five and a half hour shift, you will be in the water for AT LEAST five hours, with no break time between your classes. A large majority (90%) of... the staff is high school aged, so there is a lot of gossip and unnecessary drama, but an even more severe lack of dependency, work ethic and motivation; if you are an employee who is passionate or hardworking, you will inevitably have to pick up the slack. The discipline and corrective action policies were selectively enforced, showing favoritism and allowing peers to not live up to their responsibilities with little to no consequence, which doesn't harbor a healthy working environment. It also didn't help that my manager was less than effective and absent from the facility more often than not, and with no second in command, which lead to a lot of drama and miscommunication and ultimately caused me to end my employment there.

Advice to Management

Find managers who have strong leadership and communication skills, are effective, motivated, committed and present. Adjust school schedules to accommodate all in-water staff with a reasonable rest break. Reconsider hiring credientials for prospective employees, such as changing the age of application to eighteen.

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2017-09-27

"Aqua-Fun!"

Water Safety Instructor

I have been working at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools for more than a year

Pros

Everyone is great and the facility is family friendly. The kids are a joy to teach (although sometimes resistant to the water, but that's expected). It feels like an atmosphere anyone can be around, and it's always a blast walking in and wondering what kind of new experiences each shift will bring you next.

Cons

I wish the training was a little more in-depth than just a two-day session reviewing about everything there is to know about the company. This is so the new employees are not overwhelmed by the amount of knowledge they are expected to remember by the time co-teaching rolls around.

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2017-02-07
  10. "WSI"

Former Employee - Water Safety Instructor in Troy, MI

I worked at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible schedule, fun with kids, good exercise. Great environment to work in.

Cons

Management was hit or miss. Poor decision making in who to promote. Training was good at first, but continued training needed improvement.

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2016-12-06