Aqua-Tots Swim Schools "chlorine" Reviews | Glassdoor

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools Employee Reviews about "chlorine"

Updated 30 Aug 2019

4.1
Aqua-Tots Swim Schools CEO Paul Preston
Paul Preston
Pros
Cons
  • "I wish here was a thing called bathroom breaks at aqua tots but there isn’t(in 7 reviews)

• "Chlorine is rarely where it is supposed to be(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "chlorine"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Rewarding job with horrible staff."

Former Employee - Water Safety Instructor in Surprise, AZ

I worked at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools part-time for less than a year

Pros

Work with kids Families are happy and excited to come swim Meet fantastic kids and families Learn great life skills

Cons

No breaks. If you have to pee you will be told to pee in the pool. If an "in water incident" happens you must clean it. This means you are cleaning vomit, feces, etc. Kids will hit, kick, scream, spit, throw things at you (which is expected, but its not in the job description and they sure don't pay enough for it) Getting a shift covered is impossible. Their "core values" do not align with the actual... representation from management to staff. "relationships over profits"? NOPE. All they want is MONEY. They advertise higher than they actually pay. i.e. $12.50 actually ends up being $11.00. No negotiations. The work you do is not probable cause for a raise. Work your heart out, it doesn't matter. Chlorine is rarely where it is supposed to be. Be prepared for dry skin, rashes, and hair loss. The location I worked at had multiple spots of BLACK MOLD. These were even noticed and pointed out by customers. Multiple leaking spots which led to this. The teaching cards we used had BLACK MOLD in between the lamination. Full time staff do not get benefits.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Happy staff = happy customers. Get new management/even out work loads. Stop over working your employees.

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2019-08-31
  2. "Needs a lot of work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools part-time

Pros

It's a fun job and employees get along for the most part. The pay is not too bad and there is a little room for advancement.

Cons

There was some "payroll issues" where we were paid late. The power was shut off. If the pool had too much or too little chlorine the classes still went on most of the time. There was always problems with the pool. The building looks bad and needs a lot of repairs. Disorganized and makes the job stressful. Owner doesn't seem to care about the employees or the building. A lot of people were constantly talking about... leaving.

Advice to Management

Shut down and start over! Or not...

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2017-02-14
  3. "Its ok, if you enjoy kids"

I have been working at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools part-time

Pros

You set your own schedule every semester, everyone there even management are former college students. Its nice if you like kids and get satisfaction with their progress.

Cons

The chlorine can be harsh on the hair and sinuses, I get sick constantly due to the change of temperatures between classes. You have to be very punctual because classes start at a set time on the dot. There is no opportunity to go to the restroom due to classes being back to back.

Advice to Management

Stop gossiping and stop having favorites, its a job not a "who has more followers" battle.

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2016-11-30
  4. "Water Safety Instructor - Great job to work with kids, however poor management and adverse health effects"

I worked at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools

Pros

This is a company you would choose to work for if you love working with kids, specifically a focus on those younger than 10 years old. The kids will make your day and it will be worth all the struggle of teaching them the skills once you see the progress they make because of your instruction.

Cons

I personally have two major cons about working with this company. 1.) Adverse health effects - When you are on the clock, you will be in the pool, a heavily chlorinated pool, for your entire shift. A shift can be as short as 3.5 hours - 6 hours. Even if you swim competitively you will see a possible shift in your health. My personal experience (and actually all of the instructors employed at the same location)... involved something called chlorine rash. It is a severe reaction to the prolonged exposure to chlorine, and often higher concentrations of the chemical. It will appear on places your clothing touches the skin the most (inside of elbows, inside of knees, under your arms, around your neck, and the inside of your thighs). The rash will appear as irritated red bumps that will be accompanied by burning sensations, overly dry skin, and itchiness. Along with the rash, I experienced a loss of body hair (legs and arms), which caused an imbalance in my body temperature causing me to be cold in places and at times I would normally be warm, If I did not lose hair, it would instead be bleached to the point of being white. I also noticed constant sinus infections because of the concentration of the chemicals, oftentimes having to go to a doctor at least once a month. Even if you do not experience any of these effects, you will constantly smell like chlorine and a pool even after a thorough shower. You will also have severe dry skin because of being constantly in the water, so you will most likely have to change you grooming routines to make up for these issues. 2.) Poor management. This company has a tendency for hiring people for management positions that are either very young and or very poorly trained for management. This causes poor morale in the team and even after given advice on how to either fix an issue or how to make things run smoother, will ignore the advice and continue doing things without fixing anything. Scheduling can be also considered a problem because once you give your availability, you will be placed into a teaching schedule that is fairly rigid. This causes management to only have those instructors on hand that are teaching classes that day and does not allow for flexibility. If you need a day off, you would often have to notify months in advance, and then hope that you get it. If you get sick or have an emergency, do not expect to be able to miss your shift. Management and in response other instructors become very inflexible and unwilling to work with you in getting the shift covered. Along with the scheduling, management will drop you sometimes for an entire day of work with little to no notification, and this will become a permanent change in the schedule, with little chance of you being able to pick up another shift.

Advice to Management

Forewarn employees about possible health effects, and ways to help treat and prevent them if they do occur. I personally had to do tons of research in order to find these answers. The methods that worked best for me: 1.) Chlorine Rash/pool smell - Dissolve about 2500mg of vitamin c into 8 ounces of water (a spray bottle works best) and apply it directly to your skin (over the entire body including face and hair)... right before taking a shower. This will help to break down the chlorine and stop it from sticking to your skin. This will help to prevent the rash and also help to get rid of that "pool" smell. (Vitamin C pills about $5 for 100 tablets, Spray Bottle about $1) 2.) Sinus Infection - I found that wearing earplugs while instructing helped to keep the water out of my ears. At home, I began to do sinus rinses after work (only on days I worked, however) to help clear out what does get into the system. I also had a humidifier running constantly. (Earplugs found at a drug store about $5 for two pairs that can be used over and over again, netti pot for saline rinses). 3.) For the dry skin, you will have to find a lotion that works best for you. My personal expectations was one that I could put on once in an entire day and not have to reapply. I personally would use Jergans Ultra Healing. I would apply right after a shower, and not have to reapply until after the next time I worked and had to take a shower (post work). I would also advise for management to be able to keep an extra hand on staff to be able to give breaks or be there for emergencies so that employees can feel like they are allowed to have a (legitimate) sick-day. Better training for management is also needed in order to help with morale and overall cohesion.

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2016-10-12
  5. "Instructor"

I worked at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools part-time

Pros

Swim students are fun to work with, great to know you're teaching them safety and watching them progress through the curriculum that you taught them.

Cons

Management was awful. Manager told us to clean bathroom and only gave us Lysol wipes. Was not given direct deposit and had no other choice but to receive a check and pay an $8 processing fee for MY money while only being paid $12.50, had to argue my way for my money back after already asking for direct deposit multiple times. Manager didn't put chlorine in the pool, just shock. Swimming in actual urine water and... spit.

Advice to Management

Give your employees what they need to fulfill their job duties. (Like cleaning supplies)

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2016-08-28
  6. "n/a"

I worked at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools

Pros

Great to work with kids

Cons

effects of chlorine on skin and hair

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2016-07-07
  7. "It's okay"

in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools

Pros

Flexible schedule for employees. The program for teaching swimming techniques and water safety skills is superb. Very easy for kids to adapt.

Cons

Management pretty much did whatever they wanted. Ignored employee concerns when it came to safe chlorine levels in the pool. Company rules were not properly enforced which made slacking off easier to the lazy employees. Also the staff was very clique-y

Advice to Management

Management should not play favorites and should pay attention more to the employees. Management also needs to lead by example!

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2016-01-28