Aqua-Tots Swim Schools "working with kids" Reviews | Glassdoor

Create your profile to get personalized information

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools Employee Reviews about "working with kids"

Updated Oct 16, 2019

Found 129 reviews

3.7
Aqua-Tots Swim Schools CEO Paul Preston
Paul Preston
Pros
  • "Fun if you like working with kids(in 12 reviews)

• "I loved taking what I was learning in the classroom and see it in real life at Aqua Tots(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Each Aqua-Tots is ran independently, so management style varies(in 7 reviews)

• "Chlorine is rarely where it is supposed to be(in 7 reviews)

Reviews about "working with kids"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Front Desk in Roswell, GA

I have been working at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun if you like working with kids Nice coworkers Friendly work environment Good management

Cons

Standing for 6 + hours Low pay

Advice to Management

Higher wage More opportunities to make commission

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2019-08-17
  2. "Rewarding job with horrible staff."

Former Employee - Water Safety Instructor in Surprise, AZ

I worked at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools part-time for less than a year

Pros

Work with kids Families are happy and excited to come swim Meet fantastic kids and families Learn great life skills

Cons

No breaks. If you have to pee you will be told to pee in the pool. If an "in water incident" happens you must clean it. This means you are cleaning vomit, feces, etc. Kids will hit, kick, scream, spit, throw things at you (which is expected, but its not in the job description and they sure don't pay enough for it) Getting a shift covered is impossible. Their "core values" do not align with the actual... representation from management to staff. "relationships over profits"? NOPE. All they want is MONEY. They advertise higher than they actually pay. i.e. $12.50 actually ends up being $11.00. No negotiations. The work you do is not probable cause for a raise. Work your heart out, it doesn't matter. Chlorine is rarely where it is supposed to be. Be prepared for dry skin, rashes, and hair loss. The location I worked at had multiple spots of BLACK MOLD. These were even noticed and pointed out by customers. Multiple leaking spots which led to this. The teaching cards we used had BLACK MOLD in between the lamination. Full time staff do not get benefits.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach. Happy staff = happy customers. Get new management/even out work loads. Stop over working your employees.

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2019-08-31
  3. "Don’t do it! I would’ve given it no stars but they made me put at least one."

Current Employee - WSI in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools part-time for less than a year

Pros

Work with kids Easy job Don’t need certifications to get hired

Cons

No one is CPR/ Life Guard certified in the pool (at least at my location) Everyone is young, high school to first years in college so they don’t know how to run the place. Huge turn over, so people are always coming and going Favoritizum towards the students Even if you put your availability In, they have the right to schedule outside of your avalibablity. You aren’t guaranteed Days off if you have to... go out of town or doctors appointment.

Advice to Management

Management doesn’t know how to run it. As a employee, I was the people that owned aqua tots were more involved and they would see how hectic it truly is and maybe things would be fixed.

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2019-04-08
  4. "Swim Instructor"

I worked at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools part-time

Pros

Organized hours Fun to work with kids Upbeat environment

Cons

Strict hours Must stick to curriculum Difficult to work with parents sometimes

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2018-08-06

"Wasn’t for me"

Current Employee - Swim Instructor in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools part-time for less than a year

Pros

It is a job Get to work with kids

Cons

Have to submerge kids even if they are fighting it Have 30 min classes that always run over so you constantly have to make up time No bathroom breaks Can’t fill out the child’s aquacard right after the lesson so you have to try to remember where everyone was and fill them in at the end of the shift(which can cause the kid to not advance as fast) Have to stick to the curriculum taught and can’t deviate at all... (not even a little) Training is awful, very strict and they yell at you (which isn’t how I learn so I end up blanking and not learning anything which leads to more yelling. I left crying twice) Doesn’t pay enough for what’s expected

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2018-08-12
  6. "Needs improvement"

I worked at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools part-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome experience working with kids!

Cons

I wish here was a thing called bathroom breaks at aqua tots but there isn’t.

Advice to Management

Bathroom breaks are needed and also make it easy to get a raise. Worked for about 7 1/2 months and they didn’t even talk about getting a raise.

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2018-06-09

"Needs Lots of Improvement"

Former Employee - Front Desk

I worked at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools part-time

Pros

Working with kids is the best part of this job.

Cons

Doesn't give time off easily. Poor management. You have to sign an agreement that you have to pay $350 if you quit within 6 months of working there.

Advice to Management

Give your employees a handbook they can keep. Make sure everyone is aware of the policies and procedures.

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2017-06-05
  8. "Great Intermediary Job for College"

Current Employee - Master Water Safety Instructor in Kennesaw, GA

I have been working at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools part-time for more than a year

Pros

Above-Average Pay, Friendly Coworkers, Fun to Work with Kids

Cons

Working on Getting the Building Back In to Shape, Working on getting employees to bond

Advice to Management

Fix Building, Keep Everything Working

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2016-09-30
  9. "Water Safety Instructor - Great job to work with kids, however poor management and adverse health effects"

I worked at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools

Pros

This is a company you would choose to work for if you love working with kids, specifically a focus on those younger than 10 years old. The kids will make your day and it will be worth all the struggle of teaching them the skills once you see the progress they make because of your instruction.

Cons

I personally have two major cons about working with this company. 1.) Adverse health effects - When you are on the clock, you will be in the pool, a heavily chlorinated pool, for your entire shift. A shift can be as short as 3.5 hours - 6 hours. Even if you swim competitively you will see a possible shift in your health. My personal experience (and actually all of the instructors employed at the same location)... involved something called chlorine rash. It is a severe reaction to the prolonged exposure to chlorine, and often higher concentrations of the chemical. It will appear on places your clothing touches the skin the most (inside of elbows, inside of knees, under your arms, around your neck, and the inside of your thighs). The rash will appear as irritated red bumps that will be accompanied by burning sensations, overly dry skin, and itchiness. Along with the rash, I experienced a loss of body hair (legs and arms), which caused an imbalance in my body temperature causing me to be cold in places and at times I would normally be warm, If I did not lose hair, it would instead be bleached to the point of being white. I also noticed constant sinus infections because of the concentration of the chemicals, oftentimes having to go to a doctor at least once a month. Even if you do not experience any of these effects, you will constantly smell like chlorine and a pool even after a thorough shower. You will also have severe dry skin because of being constantly in the water, so you will most likely have to change you grooming routines to make up for these issues. 2.) Poor management. This company has a tendency for hiring people for management positions that are either very young and or very poorly trained for management. This causes poor morale in the team and even after given advice on how to either fix an issue or how to make things run smoother, will ignore the advice and continue doing things without fixing anything. Scheduling can be also considered a problem because once you give your availability, you will be placed into a teaching schedule that is fairly rigid. This causes management to only have those instructors on hand that are teaching classes that day and does not allow for flexibility. If you need a day off, you would often have to notify months in advance, and then hope that you get it. If you get sick or have an emergency, do not expect to be able to miss your shift. Management and in response other instructors become very inflexible and unwilling to work with you in getting the shift covered. Along with the scheduling, management will drop you sometimes for an entire day of work with little to no notification, and this will become a permanent change in the schedule, with little chance of you being able to pick up another shift.

Advice to Management

Forewarn employees about possible health effects, and ways to help treat and prevent them if they do occur. I personally had to do tons of research in order to find these answers. The methods that worked best for me: 1.) Chlorine Rash/pool smell - Dissolve about 2500mg of vitamin c into 8 ounces of water (a spray bottle works best) and apply it directly to your skin (over the entire body including face and hair)... right before taking a shower. This will help to break down the chlorine and stop it from sticking to your skin. This will help to prevent the rash and also help to get rid of that "pool" smell. (Vitamin C pills about $5 for 100 tablets, Spray Bottle about $1) 2.) Sinus Infection - I found that wearing earplugs while instructing helped to keep the water out of my ears. At home, I began to do sinus rinses after work (only on days I worked, however) to help clear out what does get into the system. I also had a humidifier running constantly. (Earplugs found at a drug store about $5 for two pairs that can be used over and over again, netti pot for saline rinses). 3.) For the dry skin, you will have to find a lotion that works best for you. My personal expectations was one that I could put on once in an entire day and not have to reapply. I personally would use Jergans Ultra Healing. I would apply right after a shower, and not have to reapply until after the next time I worked and had to take a shower (post work). I would also advise for management to be able to keep an extra hand on staff to be able to give breaks or be there for emergencies so that employees can feel like they are allowed to have a (legitimate) sick-day. Better training for management is also needed in order to help with morale and overall cohesion.

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2016-10-12
  10. "n/a"

I worked at Aqua-Tots Swim Schools

Pros

Great to work with kids

Cons

effects of chlorine on skin and hair

Aqua-Tots Swim Schools2016-07-07