Aquent Reviews in Redmond, WA | Glassdoor

Aquent Co-Founder and CEO John H. Chuang
John H. Chuang
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work/life balance, ability to work from home some days or come into the new office which is in a great location (in 41 reviews)

• Ridiculously good benefits and perks (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • As with many staffing agencies, there is no paid time off (in 15 reviews)

• some paid time off would be nice (in 15 reviews)

1. "MS Managed Service employee"

Former Contractor - Computer Systems Engineer in Redmond, WA
    Former Contractor - Computer Systems Engineer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Aquent as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

competitive rates, they negotiate contracts well
    no micro-management in my experience
    communication of contract expectations and projected end-dates, no surprises

Cons

none to mention, was an enjoyable contract

2. "Web Producer"

Former Contractor - Web Producer in Redmond, WA
    Former Contractor - Web Producer in Redmond, WA

I worked at Aquent as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Always found me a long term contract quickly. Good HR support. They don't micromanage at all. Helpful and friendly and super responsive. Standard benefits, which you don't often find at a contract house.

Cons

I worked there for years without a raise, because my contract company wasn't paying more. Still, I had to let them know I was moving to another company before they took action and did get me a pay increase.

Advice to Management

Pay your contractors more. Take less of the percentage for yourselves. Come up with incentives for long-term, loyal contractors.

"good company to work for"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Redmond, WA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Redmond, WA

I worked at Aquent as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked in team which had great atmosphere and we keep in touch after contract ended.
    They hired really good people -- knowledgable and skilled, eager to help teammates.
    Laptops have been provided so you do not have to use your private machine.

Cons

Rates could be higher... No raise was mentioned ever.

"It all depends on who you get"

Current Employee - Programmer Writer in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Programmer Writer in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Aquent full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some Recruiters/Account Managers I've had at Aquent were especially good at making sure all parties are satisfied and well taken care of. In the past there was plenty of transparency about the circumstances of the contract I was on, which in turn made me feel a little more loyal to Aquent because they "kept it real."

The insurance has always been good for me, but I also don't have kids so can't speak to that experience. Insurance is prohibitively expensive to add family members to (such as my husband), but I imagine that's common at a lot of employers.

Cons

One Account Manager that was assigned to me more recently was very detached, and made me feel like I meant nothing more to the company than a line on a spreadsheet. The warmer, more empathetic AMs tend to get promoted out of that role, or leave to pursue other opportunities.

Sometimes Aquent negotiates contracts with the hiring company very aggressively, to the point where they have little or no profit margin. (This is especially true if the hiring company is very desirable to have as a client.) I'm sure that's common among staffing companies, but I guess I had hoped that this one was different.

Though merit and performance were considerations in the past when rates are being discussed and contracts renewed, that does not seem to be the case any longer. I've been told that rates can't be renegotiated because of this or that policy, even in situations where my workload increased dramatically but the compensation stayed the same. "We can't pay you more because your rate already eats into our profit margin." I suppose that's the reality of business in an employer's market, but it's very demoralizing to have it thrown in your face so blatantly.

Advice to Management

If you want talent to be loyal and feel appreciated at all, Make sure all of your account managers and recruiters show empathy and compassion. Solicit feedback from the folks they look after. You may not be aware of what Making contract workers feel expendable is not a good strategy for retention.

5. "Simple way to get first year experience"

Current Contractor - Art Work Production/PM in Redmond, WA
    Current Contractor - Art Work Production/PM in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Aquent as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Job application was easy and fast
    They sponsor work visa for foreigner

Cons

Probably most of their contract comes with a fixed pay and not negotiable.

6. "Aquent Review"

Current Contractor - User Experience Design Dev in Redmond, WA
    Current Contractor - User Experience Design Dev in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Aquent as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Aquent, a tech staffing company offers positive and committed staff who were readily available on campus, and keep in touch with you via email. They offer free training courses both onsite and online for your career which were generally pretty good.

Cons

When I last ended a contract, I didn't see much action from them with interviews, and ended up going to another agency. Also, it would have been nice to see more action on their part towards vendor placement. In Washington state, companies are required to limit contract work to one year. Vendors do not have the same limitation.

Advice to Management

Definitely screen anyone who may be teaching a course at your offices. I had a bad experience with the HTML5 CSS3 course you offered in the spring of 2012. The instructor was not as prepared when we actually came to the coding section.

"Great staffing company to work for"

Current Employee - Web Professional in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Web Professional in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Aquent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Compared to other contractors at my work location where 3 others are from other agencies, Aquent seems the best. Their health care pkg is better than what most companies offer to full-time employees. Low cost health care plan w/ a major health care provider, HSA, Commuter SA etc.
    And they pay to their contractors weekly.

Cons

Other agency people get paid on company holidays (Christmas, July 4th, Thanksgiving etc.). But Aquent doesn't. If you are assigned to a work place w/ Christmas and New Years week shut down, for example, you don't get paid for 1 to 1.5 weeks. Financially tough holiday season...At least, they should pay to long-term contractors when Aquent offices are closed for holidays because we work for them 40 hrs a week too.

Advice to Management

Would be nicer if they offer 401K matching.

"Nice people, ok benefits"

Current Employee - Media Author III in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Media Author III in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Aquent full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Recruiters and resource managers are generally nice. Environment is good at the position they placed me in and in general it seems like they care about my well being.

Cons

They take a large cut of your money like most staffing agencies do.
    Benefits are only ok.
    No vacation time.
    No bonuses for hours worked.
    No sick days.

Advice to Management

Give your employees sick days and vacation so they can continue making you free money.

9. "First contract job"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Redmond, WA

Pros

Aquent was fine to work for but their impact is minimal. All really depends on the hiring manager at MSFT

Cons

As a contractor/consultant, they seem to be focused:on Microsoft and there are limited opportunities with other companies. I hear they are working to change this but haven't seen the results

"Contract Technical Writing"

Former Employee - Technical Writer II in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Technical Writer II in Redmond, WA

Pros

Better than average benefits for a contract agency.

Cons

No growth, you have to provide your own opportunities.

Advice to Management

Set a standard rate for raises based on contract experience.