Aramark Reviews | Glassdoor

Aramark CEO Eric J. Foss
Eric J. Foss

3,724 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The work life balance was the reason I took the job (in 67 reviews)

• Great people and great work atmosphere (in 122 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance support of leadership is weak cavewhen things get tough they cave (in 111 reviews)

• Lack of connection from the upper management to the workers (in 173 reviews)

"ARAMARK Higher Education - good place to be if you rather work hard than smart"

Former Employee - Can't Disclose - This Would Give Me Away in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Can't Disclose - This Would Give Me Away in Phila, PA

Pros

One need not be very bright to be successful. The culture rewards people who are comfortable in working extremely hard in a reactive mode. At the leadership level (Band 5) you have a lot of opportunity to play golf in the course of doing business. It is fun to spend a lot of time on college campuses. Most people want to do a good job. If you are young, unattached, and interested in living in different parts of the country, then you have an opportunity to move up in the company. Many times the most critical factor in filling positions is willingnes to relocate.

Cons

They do not know what to do with smart people. They do not want to think strategically - it is too difficult as is calls for people to be introspective of the impact of current practices on future opportunities for growth. Many of the leadership level people (band 5) in the field started out as work-study caferteria workers in college and jocks. If you did not hang out with that crowd in college, you probably will not want to do so now. Dealing with college administrators can be very difficult for two reasons. First - they lack a fundamental understanding of how business works, therefore they struggle with understanding rationale business decisions. Second - colleges use the dining programs as a major source of revenue to fund school budgets. This puts enoumous pressure on the dining managers to balance quality and affordability.

Advice to Management

Stop saddling the field with enormous growth targets every year - this causes an unreasonable and unfair level of stress for all involved. Compensate the leadership level more fairly - Band 5s are paid 20% below market. Make it a requirement that no one in the HQ Tower can achieve Band 5 until they have proven themselves for at least 2 years in a field role. This will cut down on some of the well intended, but ignorant decision making in HQ.

2. "Not for everyone"

Current Employee - RSR in Mankato, MN
    Current Employee - RSR in Mankato, MN

Pros

good pay and hours are nice if you like early mornings

Cons

managment and mandatory sales calls

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging

"If you're a good employee who cares about your job, don't take a job at Aramark."

Former Employee - Supervisor in Port Angeles, WA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Port Angeles, WA

Pros

It's a source of income, if the only alternative is unemployment. Also, if you prefer a corporate culture of low standards, this would be a good fit for you. If complaints don't bother you, and you don't feel compelled to fix problems, this may be the company for you.

Cons

The resort was poorly managed. There were a lot of guest complaints about unclean rooms, quality and price of food, an unreliable reservation system, and unsafe pool and hot spring conditions. There weren't enough lifeguards on duty. The employee housing was unclean and loud. The food is not good. In general, the services are overpriced.

Advice to Management

I would recommend that they hire good employees and compensate them well. Also, pay attention to guest feedback.

"Slow pay-No-pay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairlawn, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairlawn, OH

Pros

the opportunity for flex time as the job requires

Cons

compensation is less than half of the going rate
    No regular reviews
    no promised cost of living raises
    no opportunities for professional growth
    inadequate compensation
    unpaid overtime
    slow paid (6 months out) for contracted special services

Advice to Management

Underbidding services results in underpaying workers for going the mile and beyond. You may win the job, but not have the loyalty among your employees that you need in order to get it done. The result is disgruntled employees and inferior performance. Both are bad for the reputation of a company.

5. "Poor management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

decent money compared to the rest of the industry

Cons

you have to be a "boy" of upper management to get ahead here.

Advice to Management

promote on talent and results

"Not very impressed"

Current Employee - Catering Supervisor in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Catering Supervisor in Winston-Salem, NC

Pros

I found events at other universities with whom we partnered to be very professional, and found an extremely cordial staff to work with. I worked in special events for one of the graduate schools, and found my clients to be very engaging, and the work interesting and enjoyable.

Cons

I had trouble with my benefits, hiring package, and numerous errors in payroll, all of which were resolved by the company. However, as this happened frequently, I found this a bit bothersome. The campus director was very unpleasant to work for, and was not well regarded by the other directors who worked for her. It was not a very pleasant atmosphere. I didn't feel like I worked for very honest people--however, I think this was an issue at this particular institution.

Advice to Management

do some probing and looking into matters. Don't just look at reports and figures. Quite often these are not a true representation of the whole picture.

7. "Stay Away"

Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Owatonna, MN
    Current Employee - Route Sales Representative in Owatonna, MN

Pros

Good pay
    Good hours (if you like to get there early and leave early)
    Comminsions are good but don't depend on them

Cons

Bad managment structure. My branch has gone through a District manager every six months for the past three years. Company treats cusatomers horrable. Them screw their customers which makes your job hard.

Advice to Management

Treat the customers better and you will have greater returns in the long run. It is much easier to retain current customers than find new ones.

"Awful"

Current Employee - Custodian in Mount Clemens, MI
    Current Employee - Custodian in Mount Clemens, MI

Pros

There are very few positives to working in this field of work, specifically through Aramarl as a contractor. The single positive is that you basically have free reign, assuming you fulfill your duties and don't slack off. Certainly fair. If only there was more to say on a positive note about this place.

Cons

There are a myriad of things in which present the base for a horrible work experience. The management here is considerably below average. Communication is key when dealing with co-workers whom are easily able to e-mail my boss' boss, about unsatisdactory results. The imminent result with managing performed so poorly is that you're not aware of what you're doing wrong until the day you get written up. I have a Chronic Migaines and felt it was necessary to inform my boss of this pre-employment. After blacking out while driving to work, I called my boss and told him I was unable to come in. He told me to feel better and to keep him updated. After doing so, I came in the next day where he confronted me and explained that "this isn't high school." The following week I had food poisoning, and once again notified him immediately. The next day I was written up, apparently breaching terms of my probationary period: something which he explained nothing about. Overall, horrible communication and management skills. The amount of work and unnecessary complaints deserves more than an eight dollar an hour pay rate and no possibility for benefits.

Advice to Management

I have nothing positive to say. I was repeatedly told how many years he's been doing this. Maybe after going through countless employees in a couple of months, it should be evident that it's not solely the employee ****ing up.

"Awful people to work for (Aramark Refreshment) that is."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Getting to meet different people at the Conference Center

Cons

Many. I worked at the Wharton School as a Conference Concierge. It is all run by Aramark. I was treated terribly while I was pregnant there. We are told to not take water off of the refreshment stands for the students yet the Managers there did it all the time. I was not supposed to leave my post while I was 7 months pregnant yet when I tried to get back-up nobody would answer the phone. I was basically forced to run to the ladies room while the class was in session and than got yelled at when I was not at my post even though there was no one outside of the room to attend to. When I left to have my baby, no card was sent and not even a congrats. When I came back from Maternity Leave, they fired me. It was an absolutely horrible experience. The people at Penn were awesome but the Aramark Managers were terrible to me. I knew it was when I was 7 months pregnant and crying in the ladies room. I have been an admin since I was 15 and decided to make a change by taking that position which was a terrible mistake.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with a lot more respect and also practice what you preach. Don't just judge your employees by their mistakes, praise them when they make great decisions as well.

10. "Company needs to value their employee's"

Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Sylmar, CA
    Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Sylmar, CA

Pros

Union Job, good benefits, 5 day M-F work week.

Cons

Poor training and no route support when out in the field. District managers have no sense of ownership of their assigned districts.

Advice to Management

None

Showing 3,724 of 3,835 reviews