Arapahoe House Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Mike Butler
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "DRUG and ALCOHOL COUNSELOR"

Former Employee - Drug and Alcohol Counselor in Aurora, CO
    Former Employee - Drug and Alcohol Counselor in Aurora, CO

I worked at Arapahoe House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You work with people from all different types of backgrounds.

Cons

The company was not large enough to accommodate all visitors that needed assistants.

Advice to Management

Your only as good as your employees. So hire the employees that work well with others and is a team player.

2. "not bad"

Pros

hours are okay for me

Cons

the pay is low for the field

Advice to Management

Work on developing your emeployees

3. "Run!"

I worked at Arapahoe House full-time

Pros

The employees are some of the kindest and caring individuals out there with great compassion and skill.

Cons

There is no integrity within the C-Suite. Decisions are made without research to back it up, programs are cut and departments are swept away without a thought of the community or client impact. This organization will most likely close in the near future with this type of guidance.

Advice to Management

Advice for the board...try again!

4. "I worked in outpatient as a primary therapist for 3 years"

Pros

If you're new to the field then free CAC trainings is a definite plus. They provide decent PTO (though you won't be able to use it) and last I knew you were automatically enrolled in 401k after working there 1 year. There are some really awesome people that still work there, although I'm not sure how, so that almost makes it worth working there. The organization tries to be up to date with evidence based practices which I appreciate, and as such I learned a great deal while working there. Finally, of course the clients are amazing and that makes any job in this field rewarding.

Cons

As I eluded to before, PTO is like a unicorn: you always hear about it but never actually see it. Unless you're a supervisor, in which case you can take as much as you want whenever you want. Speaking of supervisors, if you're lucky enough to get a good one don't expect them to stay long before they realize the expectations for the ground staff (you know, the ones actually working with clients and doing billable services which bring in revenue) are too high or they get pushed out by upper management for trying to advocate for the ground staff. The expectation to have all 8 working hours filled with direct client contact is completely unreasonable. Outpatient is the worst because of no shows so they won't allow you to block off any time in your schedule to get all of the other expected things done (monthly reports, discharge summaries, case management, progress notes) because you'll most likely have a no show (found time, ha!) But some days everyone actually shows up and you're still expected to complete all documentation in 24 hours. So most people end up working way more than 40 hours just to keep afloat. And if you're licensed you can forget about having a life as they don't pay overtime for licensed therapists so they don't even bother trying to help you find a work/ life balance which is simply non-existent in this organization. So much more I could say about my personal experience but I think you get the picture.

Advice to Management

Do what you say you're going to do: reduce turnover by appreciating your staff and providing the ability to have work/ life balance, keep caseloads manageable, supervisors should step in and help out if needed, and for Pete's sake make sure your supervisors are decent human beings capable of building relationships with staff and not simply robots that hand out orders and corrective actions.

5. "Essential Support Team"

I have been working at Arapahoe House part-time

Pros

Get to set your own schedule

Cons

No guarantee of hours

"This company is amazing."

Current Employee - Addiction Technician in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Addiction Technician in Denver, CO

I have been working at Arapahoe House full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Arapahoe house gave me an opportunity to start work in the addiction field. I believe they value all of their employees and they offer free CAC classes if you're working for them.

Cons

Lots of patients, lots of people need help. Never a dull moment here. Every day is challenging and I always appreciate when the weekend comes

Advice to Management

7. "A difficult place to work"

I have been working at Arapahoe House full-time

Pros

Good coworkers and ability to advance within the company. I loved a lot of the people I worked with.

Cons

The schedule proved to be incredibly tough to work around. The compensation for working weekend/evening shifts does not exist.

Advice to Management

Provide adequate compensation to employees for less desirable shifts. I feel like the administration views the employees as resources and not people.

8. "Clinical director"

I have been working at Arapahoe House full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dedication to patient care and clinical development of staff, opportunities for advancement, senior management dedicated to staff.

Cons

Restrictions of working for a non profit such as less than new facilities.

"Horrid upper management"

Current Employee - Miscellaneous in Thornton, CO
    Current Employee - Miscellaneous in Thornton, CO

I have been working at Arapahoe House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers and mission are great. Most people work well together at the entry level and mid-level as well as across departments.

Cons

Going down like a lead boot. Until they replace all executives, it will continue to be a backstabbing, toxic environment. If you do not fit the smiley, bobble head mold you will not make it there. If you have a job...DON'T LEAVE IT TO GO HERE unless you are into bs and lies....

Advice to Management

Look up the definition of "transparency " as you have only a one sided view of that particular word.

10. "Micro Managed, puts your mistakes on blast"

Former Employee - Addiction COunselor
    Former Employee - Addiction COunselor

I worked at Arapahoe House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are decent and they have a 401k plan. The only positives to the job other than that, is the free supervision for CAC hours and the experience to add to your resume. Due to micro management and attention to EVERY SINGLE LITTLE MISTAKE, and the fact that every mistake is put on blast through email for everyone to see, all this place will be is experience for the resume and a mere stepping stone to something better.

Cons

management unprofessional, cheap and money hungry. Gave everyone a raise and then force them to work understaffed with the promise of a bonus that almost isn't even worth waiting around for. IF we are relatively slow, which is rare, we are forced to send someone home and then work in absolute misery when we get slammed with people coming in. So much for having time on our shifts to complete the required continuing education courses. They tell you to open the link and home and do it on your own time, without pay.

Advice to Management

Provide supervision for your supervisors. They are extremely unprofessional with how they manage their staff.