Arapahoe House Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Arthur Schut

1. "Back office"

I worked at Arapahoe House full-time

Pros

People really care about each other

Cons

Not enough time in the day

2. "Horrid upper management"

Current Employee - Miscellaneous in Thornton, CO
    Current Employee - Miscellaneous in Thornton, CO

I have been working at Arapahoe House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers and mission are great. Most people work well together at the entry level and mid-level as well as across departments.

Cons

Going down like a lead boot. Until they replace all executives, it will continue to be a backstabbing, toxic environment. If you do not fit the smiley, bobble head mold you will not make it there. If you have a job...DON'T LEAVE IT TO GO HERE unless you are into bs and lies....

Advice to Management

Look up the definition of "transparency " as you have only a one sided view of that particular word.

3. "Micro Managed, puts your mistakes on blast"

Former Employee - Addiction COunselor
    Former Employee - Addiction COunselor

I worked at Arapahoe House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are decent and they have a 401k plan. The only positives to the job other than that, is the free supervision for CAC hours and the experience to add to your resume. Due to micro management and attention to EVERY SINGLE LITTLE MISTAKE, and the fact that every mistake is put on blast through email for everyone to see, all this place will be is experience for the resume and a mere stepping stone to something better.

Cons

management unprofessional, cheap and money hungry. Gave everyone a raise and then force them to work understaffed with the promise of a bonus that almost isn't even worth waiting around for. IF we are relatively slow, which is rare, we are forced to send someone home and then work in absolute misery when we get slammed with people coming in. So much for having time on our shifts to complete the required continuing education courses. They tell you to open the link and home and do it on your own time, without pay.

Advice to Management

Provide supervision for your supervisors. They are extremely unprofessional with how they manage their staff.

5. "Food Service Supervisor"

Former Employee - Food Services Supervisor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Food Services Supervisor in Denver, CO

I worked at Arapahoe House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I feel there is no Pros to this job. You put in a ton of hours and nothing, I mean nothing is good enough for them. There is no employee development in the Food Service area.

Cons

Too many to list. As I said before; you put in a ton of time and the upper managament does not care one bit. You're not doing this right, change this, do that. No complement, no nothing. The management here had me affraid to enter my boss' office. They think just talking to the staff is is training? No way. Do something more than just sit in your office,

Advice to Management

Be real with your employees. If you have a issue with their perfomance, you pull them aside and you tell them. Don't wait for a time that's good for you to fire someone than do it. Don't be hypicritical either. If you tell someone that you need to encourgae employees than you better be doing the same.

6. "Not very organized"

Former Employee - Primary Therapist in Littleton, CO
    Former Employee - Primary Therapist in Littleton, CO

I worked at Arapahoe House full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The clients were the best thing about the facility. They saw how burnt out the employees were and appreciated everything employees did for them.

Cons

Executive Leadership was not professional. They were insensitive to employees and expected them to churn out OT regardless of the personal sacrifices being made.

Advice to Management

Be more employee centered because they are the reason the client's get better

7. "Primary Therapist II"

Current Employee - Primary Therapist II in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Primary Therapist II in Denver, CO

Pros

Fun/interesting patients, some independence in treatment planning/ability to incorporate a range of evidence-based practices into the curriculums. Positive collaboration with external stake-holders. Private Office. Stable salary/good salary for a non-profit unlicensed position. Ability to take trainings if you can find the coverage. Staff who care. Can move around in the organization if you are burned out. Have had positive communications with supervisors when I was frustrated.

Cons

Discontent in employee community. There have been many rapid changes and employees are voicing their discomfort often. This leads to an uncomfortable work environment at times. Over scheduling and high no-show rates (typical of population) can create a bit of an unnerving work day (depends on who you are/if you like a little bit of chaos/surprise, hard to plan your day). PTO/Training time is offered but not guaranteed. Supervisors seem to be overworked as well and not as available, leading to miscommunication and some feelings of isolation.

Advice to Management

Work on normalizing the change process rather than blaming employees. Supervisors seem to be over-stressed with managing the changes and can become a bit all-or-nothing, likely because they are stressed and lose sight of the spirit of the changes sometimes. Increase supervision time for both supervisors and supervisees. Support a culture of a 40 hour work week rather than mandatory overtime (better brainstorming of productivity solutions).

8. "Primary Therapist II"

Pros

Good base salary and good experience. Great staff.

Cons

Overworked clinicians due to insufficient staff

Advice to Management

Slow down with the changes and appreciate your employees. Too many expectations and criticism for the level of difficulty an ammount of work your clinicians put in. Give incentive to want to go the extra mile

9. "Patient Access Representative"

Current Employee - Patient Access Representative in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Patient Access Representative in Denver, CO

I have been working at Arapahoe House part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interacting with a diverse environment, support from the agency as well as support for all the clients. Advancement in the company after 3 - 6 months of employment and helping the surrounding communities in all 11 locations.

Cons

There are no downsides to this non profit organization. The whole staff/ team is available and supportive of each and every employee. A great company to work for.

10. "Disorganized, little investment in employee well-being"

Pros

Almost always looking for employees

Cons

Pay less than I've received in previous jobs, and should be higher for the area. They're really not invested in employee retention and care little about employees having a work/life balance. My schedule was nice at first, but then they quickly changed it. There was nothing I could do about it, besides quit.

Advice to Management

Invest in keeping employees rather than squeezing every ounce of work out of them until they burnout. Sure, everyone is replaceable, but it's much more efficient to keep the employees that you train.

11. "Supervisor"

Former Employee - CO Colorado in Northglenn, CO
    Former Employee - CO Colorado in Northglenn, CO

I worked at Arapahoe House (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing is worth the soul crushing experience.

Cons

Terrible working environment. Climate of fear, retaliation and intolerance. Punitive philosophy with clients and staff. It felt like I was escaping an emotionally and mentally abusive relationship when I quit. Breaks the spirit of good therapists and clinicians. I thought if leaving the field. Now I'm in a wonderful job and regained my passion for the work.

Advice to Management

Whole upper management needs to change. Punitive, retaliatory, style is the reason for the over 65% employee turnover. People don't leave bad jobs; they leave bad management.