Arc Aspicio Associate Reviews | Glassdoor

Lynn Ann Casey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great Culture"

I have been working at Arc Aspicio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is the best I've ever experienced. Almost everyone, no place is perfect, is intelligent and eager to do good work. That positive attitude, which you can see in every level from the CEO down to interns, is really infectious and helps to get through some of the more boring work.

One of my favorite things is how open to feedback and suggestions the company, and especially senior leadership, is. It allows employees to feel like they can really influence the company and drive change.

Cons

The company is working on scalability, which is definitely needed. I've noticed a large variance in the approach, communication, and effectiveness of managers/supervisors. At times, it feels like some higher level folks are not held to the same standards, deadlines, etc.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on scalability.

Improve transparency, especially in hiring/firing, promotions, and salary.

Focus on bringing consistency in management/supervision. Reward those that do well and ding those that don't (regardless of their level in the company).

Arc Aspicio Response

Nov 18, 2016 – Senior Talent Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for sharing your feedback. I am so happy to see your enthusiasm about the culture at Arc Aspicio, and your happiness with our people and their... More

"Pros heavily weighed with Cons"

Former Employee - Associate
    Former Employee - Associate

I worked at Arc Aspicio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think a lot of these bad reviews are being overly dramatic. There are good and bad things.

Extremely supportive HR staff, and a lot of very intelligent and skilled employees. They have some solid benefits and perks, as well as some interesting contracts. I found mid level management to be very supportive, and liked all the contracts I worked on.

There’s a lot of flexibility to develop your own skills and chase down what you think is interesting. That is very appreciated by the employees.

Cons

Extremely political environment. If you don't talk the talk and use all the right buzzwords, you might as well leave. People are valued more for their ability to fit in and spend time on arbitrary Internal projects than their ability to excel at their government job.

The politics spring from the top. There are some leaders of the company that are very petty, while others are wonderful. I saw top level staff harassing low level employees for no reason, while others expended effort to develop the same younger staff.

A lot of wasted time. I get that the company wants to be a thought leader but they spend so much time on theoretical stuff with so little results that it pulls away from their government work.

As some valuable employees leave, they can be giving a VERY hard time. They don’t want you going to competitors so they try to make your life miserable and I believe that is a pitiful practice. Consider that before working here.

Advice to Management

Too much going on. Your government clients lose out while you spend so much time thinking about how to do things. You’re a contractor, focus on that and don’t pull time away from your contracts to do far fetched consulting schemes.

"Worst place I've ever worked"

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Arc Aspicio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many of the people at Sr Associate and below are hardworking, intelligent consultants with whom it's both rewarding and fun to work.

Cons

The CEO and her husband (CTO) run the company personally all the way down to tiny decisions. The company is exhaustingly rigid. An example: more than one time, I came up with ideas for improving our internal operations. I was told unequivocally to not bother working on the ideas because they didn't like them; even when I told them I planned to work on my own time to do the research, they somehow forbade me from doing it.

I encountered a problem with a client behaving unethically, and reported it to management. Rather than support, I received condemnation for putting myself in that position.

The internal "ethics hotline" is actually just a cell phone permanently plugged in and sitting on a desk I'm the room where the interns sit.

The employment contract forbids employees from speaking I'll of the company, at the risk of the company providing a negative reference.

The executives play heavy favorites. Everything other reviews say about promotion being based on internal work is true. From informal conversation with a Sr Manager, I learned that the reason is that since every project/client is different, they have to focus on the work that is comparable and that they can see.

When I left, management told me not to inform our subcontractor, that they wanted to handle the communication. Weeks after I had started with my new company, I got a call from the subcontractor asking where I had gone and if I was coming back!!

Advice to Management

Make room for innovation driven by employee ideas. It's embarrassing to see you post something on LinkedIn and then see 15 posts of the same event or link parroted over the next few weeks because that's how you crawl up--through selling the company and making the CEO look like she has a cadre of loyal employees who thrive on her every word.

"Arc Aspicio is 100% you get what you put into the company."

I have been working at Arc Aspicio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Arc Aspicio has a start-up feel, and you get what you put in to it. If you are willing to put in the hours, contribute to the company, and are not afraid to be invested, then you will love it here. For example, after years of working at a big name consulting firm, I love it here! Lazy people won't last here which to me is a pro because I want to work with energetic and passionate people.

I feel very empowered at Arc Aspicio. You have the opportunity to get promoted, get amazing experience, manage staff early on, and you are 100% in charge of your career.

Most of the staff are young and energetic. We are willing to come up with innovative ideas and work hard to get them implemented. Once again, you get what you put into the company, which can be great or terrible depending on you.

I worked at other government contracting companies, even a brand name company, and I like Arc Aspicio a lot more.

Cons

If you want to be overpaid to sit around and do the minimum, then Arc Aspicio is not for you. A lot of people have this idea that government consulting means working from home, doing very little, and getting paid 6 figures, well then I am very sorry to burst that bubble. If you want to get paid to do nothing, then go apply to be a federal employee!

At Arc Aspicio, you are expected to work.... a lot. I'm juggling client work, company work, mentoring, my own outside activities like volunteering and church groups, and I love all of it. If you want to watch the clock, do your 40 hours, and head home, then go somewhere else. Otherwise you will end up writing a negative review similar to other reviews below.

Advice to Management

I would focus on coming up with better benefits, especially something for travel. Going back and forth to client site can be expensive!

Arc Aspicio Response

Dec 8, 2015 – Senior Talent Manager

Thank you for your review and for sharing your feedback. I agree that we do have great and talented people! Our people continue to amaze me in how they go above and beyond for our clients, their... More

"Great company to advance your career and grow your skill-set!"

I have been working at Arc Aspicio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

With the leadership, vision, and guidance from colleagues I have been able to really grow my career here. I was previously at a larger consulting firm and I can honestly say that I have learned more about myself and accomplished more here in my 1.5 years than my 3.5 previous years combined at the larger firm. Leadership truly does see their employees as their greatest asset and despite the other posts - they do everything they can to grow their careers and make them happy. The company also has a strong strategic vision developed by leadership - which helps to maintain employee confidence and morale for the future and growth of the company. The access to and dialogue with company leadership is a true benefit - especially to junior employees starting off in the business. Not many companies are like this.

Cons

Some people may argue that some company policies are out-of-date and/or not aligned with industry standards (i.e. telework, time off) - but the truth is if you are a high performer this is not a concern. Management understands the difficulty if working full time and balancing this with life responsibilities - and they do everything they can to accommodate this.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your people as your greatest resource/asset. The organic growth at the company is unrivaled and is a true differentiator among the company's competition.

"Tremendous learning and challenge"

I have been working at Arc Aspicio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities for career growth and interesting work.
    Very focused on clients' mission.
    Really care about people and their interests.
    Good leaders who are role models in consulting.

Cons

Clients in homeland security can be challenging (but this is often rewarding).
    Government consulting is changing and very competitive right now.

Advice to Management

Focus on how to scale the company as it grows. Don't change the high standards for hiring great people.

"Clients Beware"

Current Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Arc Aspicio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're a recent college grad or looking to make a drastic career change (and take a drastic pay cut) and get into the national security arena, this might work out. They bring in a lot of new government contracts by bidding low so there's always new work. If you love low-level administrative work or aren't good at much else, they probably have some opportunities for you.

Cons

Low bids on contracts means low salaries for employees; low salaries for employees means high turnover; high turnover means instability; and instability means clients are left wanting and probably won't come back when it's time for the next contract competition. Employees are required to spend extensive time on superfluous company fluff like writing blogs in addition to demanding hours fulfilling client demands. Employees who avoid the sophomoric self-congratulations of the company and focus on client delivery are ostracized by management. Compensation doesn't seem to be tied in any way to results and more on the level of flattery afforded upper management. Processes, while numerous, are immature but strongly adhered to and not suited to the scale of work the company is attempting to do which leaves associates fighting internal battles instead of delivering results. Employees who offer suggestions to management are punished and singled out during meetings. Interview and recruitment process is ridiculously long for a company of this size and for such inconsequential busy-work. Benefits provided don't nearly match industry standards and employees or clients are expected to bear much of the administrative costs of doing business.

Advice to Management

Start listening to your employees and be willing to change direction and alter arbitrary policy. Bring up your benefits to a level that matches the industry you claim to compete with.