Arc Aspicio Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Lynn Ann Casey

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great Culture"

I have been working at Arc Aspicio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is the best I've ever experienced. Almost everyone, no place is perfect, is intelligent and eager to do good work. That positive attitude, which you can see in every level from the CEO down to interns, is really infectious and helps to get through some of the more boring work.

One of my favorite things is how open to feedback and suggestions the company, and especially senior leadership, is. It allows employees to feel like they can really influence the company and drive change.

Cons

The company is working on scalability, which is definitely needed. I've noticed a large variance in the approach, communication, and effectiveness of managers/supervisors. At times, it feels like some higher level folks are not held to the same standards, deadlines, etc.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on scalability.

Improve transparency, especially in hiring/firing, promotions, and salary.

Focus on bringing consistency in management/supervision. Reward those that do well and ding those that don't (regardless of their level in the company).

Arc Aspicio Response

Nov 18, 2016 – Senior Talent Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and for sharing your feedback. I am so happy to see your enthusiasm about the culture at Arc Aspicio, and your happiness with our people and their... More

"Worst place I've ever worked"

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Arc Aspicio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Many of the people at Sr Associate and below are hardworking, intelligent consultants with whom it's both rewarding and fun to work.

Cons

The CEO and her husband (CTO) run the company personally all the way down to tiny decisions. The company is exhaustingly rigid. An example: more than one time, I came up with ideas for improving our internal operations. I was told unequivocally to not bother working on the ideas because they didn't like them; even when I told them I planned to work on my own time to do the research, they somehow forbade me from doing it.

I encountered a problem with a client behaving unethically, and reported it to management. Rather than support, I received condemnation for putting myself in that position.

The internal "ethics hotline" is actually just a cell phone permanently plugged in and sitting on a desk I'm the room where the interns sit.

The employment contract forbids employees from speaking I'll of the company, at the risk of the company providing a negative reference.

The executives play heavy favorites. Everything other reviews say about promotion being based on internal work is true. From informal conversation with a Sr Manager, I learned that the reason is that since every project/client is different, they have to focus on the work that is comparable and that they can see.

When I left, management told me not to inform our subcontractor, that they wanted to handle the communication. Weeks after I had started with my new company, I got a call from the subcontractor asking where I had gone and if I was coming back!!

Advice to Management

Make room for innovation driven by employee ideas. It's embarrassing to see you post something on LinkedIn and then see 15 posts of the same event or link parroted over the next few weeks because that's how you crawl up--through selling the company and making the CEO look like she has a cadre of loyal employees who thrive on her every word.

"Typical D.C. Firm"

Former Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Arc Aspicio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location - In DC, public transit accessible, modern office layout.
    Pay - You can negotiate a great salary if you have the leverage, but they prefer recent GW graduates who do not have extensive work histories.

Cons

Company culture - It has a cult feeling to it. You either fall in line or you do not work there anymore.
    Management style - Tons of micromanagement. At times you feel like a child. Understandable for a kid fresh out of college; does not make sense for a 25+ year old who has been in the workforce.

Advice to Management

Ease up on the culture talk.

"This place is a mess!"

Former Employee - N/A in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - N/A in Washington, DC

I worked at Arc Aspicio full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You live to work and make money.

Cons

High turnover rate at the company for good reason! Do yourself a favor and work at another great place.

Advice to Management

none.

"Arc Aspicio is 100% you get what you put into the company."

I have been working at Arc Aspicio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Arc Aspicio has a start-up feel, and you get what you put in to it. If you are willing to put in the hours, contribute to the company, and are not afraid to be invested, then you will love it here. For example, after years of working at a big name consulting firm, I love it here! Lazy people won't last here which to me is a pro because I want to work with energetic and passionate people.

I feel very empowered at Arc Aspicio. You have the opportunity to get promoted, get amazing experience, manage staff early on, and you are 100% in charge of your career.

Most of the staff are young and energetic. We are willing to come up with innovative ideas and work hard to get them implemented. Once again, you get what you put into the company, which can be great or terrible depending on you.

I worked at other government contracting companies, even a brand name company, and I like Arc Aspicio a lot more.

Cons

If you want to be overpaid to sit around and do the minimum, then Arc Aspicio is not for you. A lot of people have this idea that government consulting means working from home, doing very little, and getting paid 6 figures, well then I am very sorry to burst that bubble. If you want to get paid to do nothing, then go apply to be a federal employee!

At Arc Aspicio, you are expected to work.... a lot. I'm juggling client work, company work, mentoring, my own outside activities like volunteering and church groups, and I love all of it. If you want to watch the clock, do your 40 hours, and head home, then go somewhere else. Otherwise you will end up writing a negative review similar to other reviews below.

Advice to Management

I would focus on coming up with better benefits, especially something for travel. Going back and forth to client site can be expensive!

Arc Aspicio Response

Dec 8, 2015 – Senior Talent Manager

Thank you for your review and for sharing your feedback. I agree that we do have great and talented people! Our people continue to amaze me in how they go above and beyond for our clients, their... More

"HORRIBLE place to work"

I worked at Arc Aspicio full-time

Pros

Some of the employees here are truly talented. Too bad they work for this dictatorship.

Cons

Leadership threatens employees about: Glassdoor reviews, violating non-compete agreements (in bully ways -- you can not get a federal job with the agency that this company pretends to support? even if it is not in the shop you contracted to? insane). Arc Aspicio is thew new DC Madame -- they prey on young, inexpensive talent, then pimp them out to any of the many contracts that they regularly win (geniuses of acquisition), not rewarding their true talent (mostly in the "middle management" layer). The CEO and CTO think they work on every contract, and instead of hiring stable management, moonlight on contracts like compulsive micromanagers. The BD demands of the job are huge. The salaries are not. The work is boring program management, despite their website's claims. Employees are asked to contribute in cultish ways -- drum up subscribers for monthly newsletter, contribute blogs that are then watered down until they could not criticize or illuminate ANY kind of problem by the CEO. This company can wink work, but they are a cold, unfeeling body shop, totally uninterested in the growth or benefits of their employees.

Advice to Management

In times of turmoil, make more concessions to employees, not less. Tightening your grasp on employees is very Soviet -- look how that turned out. You have unhappy people and you need to listen to them.

"Great company to advance your career and grow your skill-set!"

I have been working at Arc Aspicio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

With the leadership, vision, and guidance from colleagues I have been able to really grow my career here. I was previously at a larger consulting firm and I can honestly say that I have learned more about myself and accomplished more here in my 1.5 years than my 3.5 previous years combined at the larger firm. Leadership truly does see their employees as their greatest asset and despite the other posts - they do everything they can to grow their careers and make them happy. The company also has a strong strategic vision developed by leadership - which helps to maintain employee confidence and morale for the future and growth of the company. The access to and dialogue with company leadership is a true benefit - especially to junior employees starting off in the business. Not many companies are like this.

Cons

Some people may argue that some company policies are out-of-date and/or not aligned with industry standards (i.e. telework, time off) - but the truth is if you are a high performer this is not a concern. Management understands the difficulty if working full time and balancing this with life responsibilities - and they do everything they can to accommodate this.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest in your people as your greatest resource/asset. The organic growth at the company is unrivaled and is a true differentiator among the company's competition.

"Great place to work with leadership that cares"

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Arc Aspicio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Arc Aspicio established a culture where people are expected to work hard and, in return, are recognized for their critical company contributions. It is an open environment where employees at all levels share ideas and help one another grow both professionally and personally. Also, there is a great deal of growth potential for those who are willing to put in the time and effort to advance their career.

Cons

As the company continues to mature and grow, recommend revisiting the benefit package and enhancing and/or finding additional benefits that the employees would find valuable.

"Tremendous learning and challenge"

I have been working at Arc Aspicio full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities for career growth and interesting work.
    Very focused on clients' mission.
    Really care about people and their interests.
    Good leaders who are role models in consulting.

Cons

Clients in homeland security can be challenging (but this is often rewarding).
    Government consulting is changing and very competitive right now.

Advice to Management

Focus on how to scale the company as it grows. Don't change the high standards for hiring great people.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Currently Employed in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Currently Employed in Washington, DC

I have been working at Arc Aspicio full-time

Pros

Company is dedicated to the homeland security mission. They hire the best people out there. The people are very talented and are recognized by their clients frequently. The company has high expectations of its people. People can learn and grow quickly. Staff members are very close and there is a strong company culture. They've won lots of great awards including DHS one. Very good reputation. Company is mature and growing quickly!

Cons

Company expects people to work hard but they are rewarded for this with bonuses and growth opportunities. They get to learn about consulting and new business - overtime is not more than the industry.

Advice to Management

Continue to help your people grow and learn. They are doing great things for the mission and they look to you for guidance and career growth!