I have been working at ArcBest full-time (More than a year)
Great co-workers. Growing supply chain business solutions. Chances for advancement. Very strong and stable company despite the woes of the recession on the freight business.
Nothing really to bring to attention
I have been working at ArcBest full-time (More than 5 years)
Lower management really respects employees. It is a very friendly work environment. Would recommend this place to anyone.
Not many cons. There is a lot expected of you. Very few layoffs because there is such high need for employees.
I have been working at ArcBest full-time (More than 3 years)
New experiences, outstanding values, high integrity, good salary, appreciation of personal insight/opinions, opportunities for advancement
Employee insurance cost is based upon your salary which is a disadvantage.
Advice to Management
Sometimes the best employees are the ones without the degree because they work harder to prove their self value to you. If there is an issue with only one employee in regards to behavior or work ethics, it should be addressed on a one-on-one basis and corrected as opposed to penalizing a whole department.
Is this helpful? The community relies on everyone sharing – Add Anonymous Review
Lot of work, but great hours, training, respect, and wage
No cons that I can think of. But I have to type 20 words, so.
I have been working at ArcBest full-time (More than 10 years)
They have recently expanded the upper management positions and they're promoting people into new positions. It is an exciting time to say the least.
The Fort Smith area is not a booming metropolis, but if you like the outdoors then there is plenty to do.
I have been working at ArcBest full-time
Friendly, family oriented environment. Incredibly bright future with exciting things to be a part of. Plenty of opportunity for someone who works hard.
Training and development opportunities are focused on leadership or brand new employees.
Advice to Management
Provide more training opportunities for those who are not new, but have not progressed past Management level.
The people and culture are really helpful.
There are absolutely no cons. This company has treated me extremely well.
I worked at ArcBest full-time (More than a year)
* So many *good* people at ABT
* Managers are reasonable and caring people
* Flexible work hours
* Daily catering avaiable
* Excellent pay
* Stable employment, low turnover
* Interesting projects, lots of new code to write
* Mile-long walking trail is beautiful and a great way to make friends at work. Many people take a lap in the morning and a lap in the afternoon.
* Corporation is constantly introducing healthy living initiatives. Very cool!
* Private family doctor within walking distance from the office - extremely convenient.
* ABT has many *expert* software developers. You are guaranteed to grow as a programmer.
* Top-notch, well-funded, extensive training program for new employees. Lots of valuable skills to learn.
* The trucking industry is NOT boring. Lots of interesting problems to solve!
* Relatively stingy with vacation
* Cubicle farm
* Legacy software is a harsh reality for tech companies that have been around for this long
* Management is effecient and stable, so promotions can be slow
* Heavily invested in proprietary software (WIndows + IBM, virtually no Linux)
Room for growth
minimal vacation time
Corporate-y but culture is changing
Very consistent and fair. Base salary is great, work environment is pretty good, etc. Job stability is great as well. I do think that management is concerned about the employees but are unable to recognize or reward them appropriately because of the state of the trucking industry and ABF profit issues.
Extra compensation is nearly nonexistent, business is directly tied to trucking industry, many levels of analysts but very very few will ever actually make it to the higher levels and even less will make it to management... and if you do it'll take 20 years. Last complaint is that its very difficult to get recognized or move ahead of less-skilled workers. It gets a little frustrating knowing that you can do a job literally 10 times faster than someone else but you get paid the same or less. I can't tell if management notices it at all.
Advice to Management
It would be nice to be rewarded for above and beyond performance or at least be recognized for doing more work than other employees. There are guys working there that are so terrible at the technical aspects of their job yet they get compensated signifantly better because they have 10 years more tenure. I know that compensation has decreased lately so other things should be changed to offset it to keep employees... more flexible work times, remote access, dress code (casual friday), etc.
This will replace the current featured review for targeted profile. Are you sure you want to replace it?
Are you sure you want to remove this review from being featured for targeted profile?