Arcadia Publishing Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Richard Joseph

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Part of a great team!"

I have been working at Arcadia Publishing full-time

Pros

My manger appreciates my work and she is a leader not a boss. The company encourages us to think outside the box.

Cons

Perhaps would like a flexible work schedule to be implemented but not a deal breaker.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage growth from within. We have a lot of great talent here in the company!

Dec 3, 2016 – Human Resources Manager

Thank you for your feedback!

2. "Be Careful With This Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Charleston, SC

I worked at Arcadia Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice people work there (or did while I worked there). Expectations were clear. I had no issues with managers or employees. Everyone was really nice. The thing to remember is that it is a business, and they are seeking to make money. I personally have no issue with anyone there. Mr. Joseph was always more than amicable to me, and always willing to offer advice and help me. Super nice guy.

Cons

I was there for all of three months, but I have serious issues with a few things. Prior to being hired, I was on a list that sought out jobs. I saw so many jobs being placed for the History Press, and I was concerned about the turnover rates. I took the job, and I kid you not, in those three months there were at least 20 people in Arcadia and The History Press acquisions left or was removed. I've never seen such a turnover. No explanations, and that was a huge red flag for me. Further, I was concerned about the contracts given to the authors. They were certainly shortchanged. The pay was abyssmal compared to the standard of living - it may as well been below minimum wage - many had to take a second or third job in order to make ends meet. They love meetings. Everything is a meeting. You spend half your time in a meeting with either your manager, management and so forth - then they get mad at you when you don't reach your goals. But, the sad thing is they prey on the elderly and those who want to be writers, when the authors will get about $1.00 per book sold. The turnover rate, which I have already addressed, was really bad - and not only in acquisitions, it was also in sales, the human resources lady, pretty much everybody left. The atmosphere was quiet, but it was also strange. They all talked to each other in skype, and everyone was very stand offish. If you're a person like me who wants a simple yes or no answer - you won't get it here, you will get an explanation that you've memorized because they tell you it so often - but they won't give a yes or no. More often than not, when I had a "meeting" with my manager, i felt like a young kid ready to get yelled at. The worst part was everything was wrong - but I had no other issues with management. The other team manager never talked down to me. At the end of the day - it's not the worlds worst place to work for.

Advice to Management

Give straight answers, and maybe try to focus on why there was so much turnover. Turnover isn't really a sign of growing pains as much as it is a sign of a business in trouble, or a lack of confidence in the business. Perhaps offer more confidence in the business to new employees. Please lessen the amount of meetings, they actually hinder the ability to do a good job. Management may need to not talk down to people or make others feel like they are being talked down to. Also, it really does seem like the right hand has no clue what the left hand is doing - perhaps getting on the same page for all the employees will be beneficial.

3. "Do not waste your time, just a dead-end job."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Pleasant, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Pleasant, SC

I worked at Arcadia Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are still people there that care about making a good product.

Cons

The company is top heavy with Directors and management seems to not know what it is doing half the time. They put up a front that they value creative ideas but nothing can be further from the truth. Management does not listen to suggestions at all and just does what it wants regardless of the consequences. There were at least 2 layoffs waves with little to no warning while I worked there. There was no transparency about what was going on. The owner has no regard for his employees and most people quit with-in the first year they were hired. Also, Arcadia has a no raise policy; you do not even get a cost living increase.

Advice to Management

Treat your people better and stop treating them like they are a piece of equipment that can be disposed of when it is convenient. Listen to the creative people you have and stop keeping everything so close to the vest. It causes paranoia and most people quit as a result.

4. "Inside Sales"

I have been working at Arcadia Publishing full-time

Pros

I really enjoy my co-workers and management staff. I can tell management cares and pay is competitive.

Cons

I wish there was a professional growth path strategy in place.

Nov 18, 2016 – Human Resources Manager

The management team and I are reviewing various options to address professional growth within the various departments. Thank you for feedback!

"Happy to be part of this company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Pleasant, SC

I have been working at Arcadia Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Low stress compared to a lot of other jobs, quiet working environment, excellent healthcare options

Cons

Need more ways to get to meet people in other departments (social engagement)
    Traffic can get bad depending on where you are coming from and going to, but that's not the company's fault. Take advantage of flexible working options where available.

Advice to Management

Some different options for once a month get togethers for social meet and greet (food trucks, breakfast)

Nov 11, 2016 – Human Resources Manager

Thank you for your feedback.

6. "Great Employer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Pleasant, SC

Pros

Great company to work for. Local connections. Great employees.

Cons

I really think the company is really great, but the traffic surrounding the location can be challenging at times.

Nov 11, 2016 – Human Resources Manager

Thank you for your feedback.

"Local History Publishing Company"

I worked at Arcadia Publishing full-time

Pros

Good for gaining basic experience in sales and publishing. Decent benefits and pto. Books are a guaranteed sale. You don't have the pressure of working for commission. Charleston is a fantastic city.

Cons

High school work environment. Low salaries. Poor leadership. Large amount of busy-work via CRM. High turnover. Women are paid significantly less than men. You don't have the benefits of earning commission.

"Acquisitions Editor"

Pros

Working with local authors and historians who were passionate about preservation in their communities. Co-workers were smart and good to work with.

Cons

I want to give the company better marks because their product is a good one. The executive management, however, is mediocre on good days and uninspired and frozen in place on other days. It has not been able to grow very successfully from its initial product idea (primarily because it chooses either the wrong people to build and manage a strategy). Much of the management is ruled by or rules by fear, causing the company to retract and expand in a vicious circle. Although they acquired History Press, the key players have not changed and until they do, I don't see this company reaching its potential.
    Compensation is extremely low, even for the area, and many went years without a raise or received only a very small raise that didn't even qualify as a COLA. Advancement is unlikely for most. If you have a second income or a partner who can provide a decent living, this might be a better fit for you.

Advice to Management

With a couple of exceptions, management needs an overhaul, from the top down. After years of repeatedly requesting that they become more focused on employee needs and they also should innovate, that has not happened. It seems unlikely that it will unless there is a sweep of the executive team. Best thing that could happen is that they are acquired by a company who has more experience in managing and executing on ideas while focusing on company morale.

"Do Not Relocate to Work Here Under Any Circumstance"

Former Employee - Acquisitions Editor/the History Press in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Acquisitions Editor/the History Press in Charleston, SC

I worked at Arcadia Publishing (Less than a year)

Pros

some of the entry level editors are smart and engaging people to work with

Cons

low salary, worst health insurance I've had as an adult, consistent publication of poorly written and researched books, terrible contracts to offer to authors (below industry standard for royalties, no advances), zero support from management for innovative ideas, general disregard for the welfare of editors and authors, job ads that seem to willfully misrepresent what the actual day-to-day work is, basically no room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Learn to care about books, editors, and authors. Your high turnover rate is pretty symptomatic of how you treat people. Also, consider focusing on quality over quantity of books contracted.

"Arcadia Publishing/The History Press"

Former Employee - Acquisitions Editor in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Acquisitions Editor in Charleston, SC

I worked at Arcadia Publishing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A youthful group of co-workers you'll be able to commiserate with.

Cons

"Think of our authors as members of a volunteer army." ~Director of Imprints.

For you would-be Acquisitions Editors out there, think very hard about that business philosophy. Personally, most of the authors I approached had no interest in working for next to nothing.

Another reviewer complained about bureaucracy. In my opinion, the company does not have any basic processes and policies, but rather processes and policies du jour, and arbitrary policies. No one knows what they are, until they are decreed. They change all of the time and are also retroactive. The only common denominator for the vast majority of changes is that they invariably slow things down and dilute the quality of the finished product.

If an Acquisitions Editor is no longer working at the company when the book they acquired shows up, it is a windfall for the Publishing Director, who can give it to whomever they feel is worthy for delivery credit (each Acquisitions Editor has a quota), including themselves. This creates the perverse dynamic where good Acquisitions Editors are worth more to particular management dead than alive. This vindictive favoritism is intended to inflate the baseline performance of all Acquisitions Editors, and by inference, discredit an individual Acquisition Editor's success in acquiring new authors.

Advice to Management

Offer authors an image budget