ArcelorMittal Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
ArcelorMittal Chairman & CEO Lakshmi N. Mittal
Lakshmi N. Mittal

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good Pay for the job, good health insurance, 401K and Pension plan (in 12 reviews)

• Great people to work with and exposure to global markets and associated opportunities and threats (in 6 reviews)

1. "Great Experience!"

Current Employee - Associate Electrical Engineer in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Associate Electrical Engineer in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at ArcelorMittal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture and very sharp engineers to learn from.

Cons

Sometimes you may get a little dirty working in Maintenance but if you do not mind then the job is awesome.

2. "Arcelormittal Monessen Good Company to work for in the Mon Valley"

Current Employee - Heavy Machine Operator in Monessen, PA
    Current Employee - Heavy Machine Operator in Monessen, PA

I have been working at ArcelorMittal full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay for this area. United Steelworkers Union. Pension Plan $2.90 per hour. Great health care benefits. 401K plan offered. Close to home for me. Shift differential. 1 Paid personal day, Paid Birthday Holiday. Vacation pay. Good safety training.

Cons

Dusty, Dirty, Hot working environment. Have to wear a nomex hood and respirator and PPE at all times while working on the batteries, even while in the summer and while operating machinery. Makes it very hot and miserable. Working outside in the elements, rain or snow or shine or 90+ degrees. Forced overtime. Operations of old heavy equipment. Some employees do alot less than other employees that are doing the same job.

Advice to Management

Would like to see this company do more for their employees. I know Arcelormittal has a website that offers a few discounts, but they aren't great and employees barely use them. Similar companies offer discount baseball/football tickets to their employees. Some smaller named companies that I know of give Steelers tickets to their (over 500+) employees for FREE. We don't even have 180 employees including management. It would be nice to get something once or twice a year for our hard work. (Instead of the occasional pizza party that only the daylight crew or only the maintenance crew gets. Ive been an employee for 3 years now and i have never been on the daylight shift when they have these parties, how is that fair to the other crews?) Other companies have Christmas party's at local casinos or somewhere and raffle off tvs and nice things and also give each employee $250 to spend at the casino. Let's do something together and have a nice Christmas Party once a year or something. We are producing the BEST COKE IN THE NATION, give us something back for it! We work hard everyday, Most of us anyways. Overall, we have a good, safe work crew now and all of the bad employees were let go (for good reasons) after the new plant manager was hired. Give us a safety bonus of some sort. It is an incentive to work safely and work towards something. Maybe if no one gets hurt during a certain quarter, then reward the guys for it. I'm just offering suggestions or ideas. Of course everyone should be working safely daily. But, ALL of he other Arcelormittal Companys have a profit sharing and incentive plan, we do not! There is a USW district 10 picnic at Idlewild every year for a cost of $22, they have gone WAY down hill over the past 15 years. Last one I was at barely had anything at all to raffle off compared to precious years. it is a shame how this industry and usw has gone down hill. But this specific mill has not gone downhill as of lately and has made vast environmental and other upgrades thanks to Arcelormittal and its employees. Let's work together towards some kind of goal and be rewarded for accomplishing this goal as a team and company, not as a company vs union employee. I look to retire from this company in 20 some years, I would just like to see a little more effort on the companies part to take care of its employees. I don't think that is too much to ask. It doesn't have to be in a contract for us to do something like this!

3. "Arcelor Mittal Point Lisas"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at ArcelorMittal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Learning skills and opportunity

Cons

The steel dust from the company

Advice to Management

Upgrates of the plants

4. "supervisor"

I have been working at ArcelorMittal full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good company to work for

Cons

long hours are possible on an off shift

Advice to Management

good place to learn and develop your skills

5. "Arcelormittal Monessen Coke- Great Company!"

Current Employee - Lidman/Machine Operator in Monessen, PA
    Current Employee - Lidman/Machine Operator in Monessen, PA

I have been working at ArcelorMittal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Pay for the job, good health insurance, 401K and Pension plan. Good safety training. Ill have been here for 2 years towards the end of April. I have learned alot. Learned every machine on the battery and overtime is available if you want it, which is also nice. Everyone looks out for everyone else safety wise. Good coworkers and good involved bosses and management team!

Cons

Coke Plant. Work is outside in the elements. VERY HOT in the summer time, dusty environment, have to wear a respirator and full PPE anytime your out on the battery. We work in rotating shifts. Nothing really bad to say about this job. Some workers dont work as much as others and that puts more work on the guy following him. For instance, i sweep ALOT, which is part of our job to cleanup, i feel like if my side of the battery isnt swept then im not doing my job completely. Also i make sure nothing is smoking on my side of the battery,(which is all just part of our job) i wish i could say the same for some guys that i have followed or worked with. As with any job, some guys feel like they have too much work and not enough time to get everything done. It can get overwhelming at times because its very hot out and there is alot to get done. I understand that. But if you get into a good routine and you have a good work ethic, you should feel good when you leave because you did your job good and thats what you get paid to do. I hate to even say this, but I feel like some younger guys dont care about that, maybe they need time to mature, i dont know... Im 35, i plan on being here another 30+ years, so i want to make sure that i do my part to make it as clean and smoke free as possible. Everyone benefits from that! I try to kindly point out or just take care of it myself if i see something smoking that is not on my side (of the battery) or that is not my responsibility. Sometimes it doesnt hurt to offer advice to other employees on how the job needs to be done, you just have to do it in a friendly manner, that way they know that you are just offering help for the better of the company.

Advice to Management

Would like to see profit sharing or incentive on the new contract next year. I think that would give the workers that little extra bonus to make everyone go that extra mile to make this a better workplace for all. I just met the new plant manager and a new boss on the battery, both seem like good guys to make this plant a little better.Both are noticeably interested and involved in what we are doing and are giving their valuable input on improving the plant. Glad to see management is involved at this job, at my last job we werent so fortunate to have that. Management was never seen, nor did they even get to know their workers. So its a big plus for this company for that! I have seen major improvements in the 2 years that i have been here, this plant is moving in the right direction!

6. "This job is not for everyone!!!"

Current Employee - MTM in Hammond, IN
    Current Employee - MTM in Hammond, IN

I have been working at ArcelorMittal full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The guys you work with become your second family and we look out for each other. It's a great opportunity to learn many different skills and get paid very well doing it.

Cons

You have a lot of lazy people out there just looking for a pay check. They cry about everything but don't do anything!! Don't let these people bring you down with them.

Advice to Management

LISTEN TO YOUR WORKS THAT HAVE MORE KNOWLEDGE THEN YOU!!! THERES ALOT OF US OUT THERE!!

7. "Internship at ArcelorMittal"

Former Intern - Intern in France, ID
    Former Intern - Intern in France, ID

I worked at ArcelorMittal as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great internship program and mentorship for young engineers starting in the steel industry

Cons

There's an exceptionally high turnover rate especially among young people due to the culture, work/life balance,etc

Advice to Management

Disconnected from upper management

8. "My experience was rewarding in my professional development both in the technical things I learned and the people skills."

Current Intern - Mechanical Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Intern - Mechanical Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ArcelorMittal as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to work with a very diverse workforce from whom you can learn many things.
    Every day is a new day full of different challenges.
    Very fast paced manufacturing setting that is exciting and demands the best from you every day.

Cons

Can be unpredictable at times. Hours may be long if unexpected things go wrong. Things can often go wrong due to very old infrastructure.

Advice to Management

Be open to new ideas. Things change and with that business practices must change as well. Embrace that instead of combating it.

9. "Large company with a bright outlook"

Pros

Friendly and laid back office. Employees have a lot of experience to share and are happy to do so.

Cons

Being 1 of 230,000 employees. Easy to get lost in the mix. Lots of red tape.

Advice to Management

Management is great.

10. "arcelro mittal"

Pros

management in the arcelor mittal

Cons

no downsides in the company