ArcelorMittal USA Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
ArcelorMittal USA President and CEO ArcelorMittal USA John Brett
John Brett

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I am motivated by my the people I get to work with every day and have maintained a very healthy work-life balance which is very valuable to me (in 12 reviews)

• Good benefits and profit sharing (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • The steel industry isn't doing well (in 12 reviews)

• Upper management will not support you in order to maintain the status quo to the extent of under cutting your authority and making you look weaker (in 11 reviews)

"supervisor"

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay on par with the industry with ample overtime opportunities. Note that OT is paid at straight time over 50hrs.
    Great place to gain job experience.
    If you are one of the boys you will know it with in 2 years and have upward mobility in the company. If not simply move along.

Cons

Salary bonus is no where near advertised.
    Working with the union is extremely difficult and will often drag their feet or fight you every turn.
    Salary is treated as second class to the union.
    Upper management will not support you in order to maintain the status quo to the extent of under cutting your authority and making you look weaker.
    Impact on your social life with long hours unhealthy eating and drinking habits that plague blue collar workers.
    Hot, Cold, Dirty and oily working conditions but what do you think you signed up for I'll move that last one back up to pros.

Advice to Management

Clean house of weak/under performing managers M1-M4.
    Reward and promote based on merit this is the worst good ole boy system I have ever seen.
    Unseat the union power and take back control of your workforce.
    The high turn over rate should come as no surprise due to the high disparity of the before mentioned items.
    Safety: this company in the past only had an illusion that it cared about safety but it was only until recently in 16 that the culture begin to change. Keep driving home that culture. General good order and discipline will help make your work force more productive and safer.

2. ":-/"

Pros

Decent pay, benefits are good.

Cons

No life/ work balance. They run short staffed so forced overtime. Nothing ever gets fixed. Company and mgt only cares about having a body to fill a Job to keep running.

"Stayed for the healthcare benefits"

Current Employee - Service Technician in Conshohocken, PA
    Current Employee - Service Technician in Conshohocken, PA

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Healthcare benefits are great for family.

Cons

Horrible work life balance.

Advice to Management

Treat workers as people, not robots.

"Like Rats off a Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Engineer in Burns Harbor, IN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Burns Harbor, IN

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Autonomy to do what you need to get things done and ample opportunity to take on projects and gain experience for the next career move.

401k is still in place as well as continued education for now.

Cons

Salaried gutting of our healthcare, pay freezes, and hiring freezes are just the most recent transgressions that has caused a mass exodus in the past six months. Throw in no accountability, no internal job posting process, no maintenance personnel to get the 100's of jobs in the queue accomplished and it's no wonder there has been a surge of resignations by the salaried folk.

If driving all of the self-motivated and driven people out while keeping massive amounts of excuse makers, flag planters, and paper engineers was the plan, then buy all means a congratulations is in order corporate.

Advice to Management

I ask you this question. Which is cheaper? Paying a motivated employee appropriately or saving a few pennies and breeding an army of care nots. Most would agree that one is much more costly to an organization than the other, but I'll leave it up to the 1%ers to figure this one out.

"IT/Engineer"

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary and benefits.
    Some managers are more involved with the team and help to get the resources.
    Burns Harbor and Indiana harbor locations seem to be doing relatively well. But, the Riverdale location is close to shutting down!

Cons

Company works on very old technology. I work with lot of departments, QA, Finance, HR and Automation. Management and co-workers are not willing to introduce any new technology.
    In the Automation department, people still work on VMS and FORTRAN.
    There is very little support from the managers, just about anyone can walk in and give you a set of projects to work on and priorities are never set.

Advice to Management

It is very important to adapt to new technologies. Input from developers and Engineer should be taken as they are the ones who actually do the work.

"Terrible leadership"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

Pros

Global mobility in some cases

Cons

lack of leadership, no respect for employees, terrible office locations

Advice to Management

invest in young and talented people

"manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time

Pros

The people that I work with or work for me are now the only reason I come to work.

Cons

The company wants to know why they are losing people or can't find them. After all of the cuts to the salaried workers, they have now cut the insurance to the point of being able to get better insurance on your own. This company is now a joke in the industry and embarrassing to work for which is a shame. Upper management is out of touch or doing this to cut the work force as many are now leaving.

Advice to Management

Stop and realize what is happening, the seasoned workers are leaving for other jobs or retiring. The younger ones are leaving because the future looks like it's going to be a constant pattern of giving to the hourly workers by taking away from the salaried. There is no reason in the world to become salary at this company.

ArcelorMittal USA Response

Jan 15, 2016 – Representative - Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. One of the most important aspects of our business is our people. Even with changes to healthcare, the company is still an industry leader through the salary and benefits... More

"An aging industry in dire need of changing its culture and value"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Burns Harbor, IN
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Burns Harbor, IN

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sadly, in terms of Pros, there are few. I am lucky enough to work with a few coworkers that genuinely care about their work.

Cons

Upper management is stubborn and very resistant to change or improvement. Making constructive suggestions to upper management is often considered to be rebellious behavior and is discouraged. As such, good changes are few and far in between.

"Opportunity for Experience"

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time

Pros

Unlimited responsibility and challenges to respond to.

Cons

Training, benefits, opportunity for growth and advancement.

10. "Planner"

Former Employee - Planner in East Chicago, IN
    Former Employee - Planner in East Chicago, IN

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and decent pay.

Cons

Filthy environment, miserable people who think they are entitled because they are in the union, especially second or third generation employees. Bargaining unit and company don't get it. Counter productive with everyone splitting hairs over contract language. Would not recommend working in this industry for this organization.

Advice to Management

Nothing can be said that will change a thing. This symbiotic relationship between the union and the company is corrupt and dysfunctional.