ArcelorMittal USA Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
ArcelorMittal USA CEO ArcelorMittal USA Flat Carbon John Brett
John Brett

Pros
  • I am motivated by my the people I get to work with every day and have maintained a very healthy work-life balance which is very valuable to me (in 12 reviews)

• Good benefits and profit sharing (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • The steel industry isn't doing well (in 11 reviews)

• Upper management will not support you in order to maintain the status quo to the extent of under cutting your authority and making you look weaker (in 11 reviews)

"Stayed for the healthcare benefits"

Current Employee - Service Technician in Conshohocken, PA
    Current Employee - Service Technician in Conshohocken, PA

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Healthcare benefits are great for family.

Cons

Horrible work life balance.

Advice to Management

Treat workers as people, not robots.

"Like Rats off a Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Engineer in Burns Harbor, IN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Burns Harbor, IN

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Autonomy to do what you need to get things done and ample opportunity to take on projects and gain experience for the next career move.

401k is still in place as well as continued education for now.

Cons

Salaried gutting of our healthcare, pay freezes, and hiring freezes are just the most recent transgressions that has caused a mass exodus in the past six months. Throw in no accountability, no internal job posting process, no maintenance personnel to get the 100's of jobs in the queue accomplished and it's no wonder there has been a surge of resignations by the salaried folk.

If driving all of the self-motivated and driven people out while keeping massive amounts of excuse makers, flag planters, and paper engineers was the plan, then buy all means a congratulations is in order corporate.

Advice to Management

I ask you this question. Which is cheaper? Paying a motivated employee appropriately or saving a few pennies and breeding an army of care nots. Most would agree that one is much more costly to an organization than the other, but I'll leave it up to the 1%ers to figure this one out.

"An aging industry in dire need of changing its culture and value"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Burns Harbor, IN
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Burns Harbor, IN

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sadly, in terms of Pros, there are few. I am lucky enough to work with a few coworkers that genuinely care about their work.

Cons

Upper management is stubborn and very resistant to change or improvement. Making constructive suggestions to upper management is often considered to be rebellious behavior and is discouraged. As such, good changes are few and far in between.

5. "Planner"

Former Employee - Planner in East Chicago, IN
    Former Employee - Planner in East Chicago, IN

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and decent pay.

Cons

Filthy environment, miserable people who think they are entitled because they are in the union, especially second or third generation employees. Bargaining unit and company don't get it. Counter productive with everyone splitting hairs over contract language. Would not recommend working in this industry for this organization.

Advice to Management

Nothing can be said that will change a thing. This symbiotic relationship between the union and the company is corrupt and dysfunctional.

6. "Customer service"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Burns Harbor, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Burns Harbor, IN

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hours,parking ,work area,air conditioning, lots of lunches brought into work.

Cons

Management, everyone is related some how! Everyone you work with either do not have a degree nor do the managers but they move up in the company due to being related!

Advice to Management

Offer more training and do not only do favors to your friends!

ArcelorMittal USA Response

Jul 15, 2015 – Representative - Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. ArcelorMittal USA is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, vet, and other protected group status. We hold ... More

7. "The Laziest Management You Will Ever See"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burns Harbor, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burns Harbor, IN

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company if you are in the union!

Cons

Company promotes the stupid, lazy management

"AM/NS Calvert - Be cautious!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calvert, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calvert, AL

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was great, the best co-workers I've ever had! Good training classes/programs.

Cons

Very poor management. Employees that do not do their share of work and miss a lot of time are allowed to get away with it, while really good employees who work hard and never miss work take up the slack and do not get recognized for it. Too many audits after company takeover last year, and after a few months went by after the buyout the extreme changes started coming. I was harshly interrogated for two hours and then put on suspension for 3 weeks for something that I did not do and they never had proof (because it didn't exist) but lost my job anyway for "violation of company policy" but they could not tell me which policy. This all came from the corporate office and our local HR department knew nothing and could give me no information. Consulting a lawyer. The bad thing is that I absolutely loved my job and always received high reviews, never missed work, and have very high work ethic. This was devastating and out of the blue! The way this was handled is absolutely horrific!

Advice to Management

Get a backbone and stand up for your employees who you have always trusted and know are good ethical workers!!

"Engineering Internship, stay clear of these rats"

Former Intern - Mechanical Engineer Intern in Burns Harbor, IN
    Former Intern - Mechanical Engineer Intern in Burns Harbor, IN

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Engineers in the plant are all very smart and willing to help you. They are friendly and work on some pretty cool projects with you. Even middle management is friendly and willing to reach out to you for help and assistance on projects.

Cons

HR is a bunch of lying rats. The turnover rate in their associate engineer program is astonishing and instead of looking at themselves as the problem they simply blame certain schools they recruit from. Everyone hates their jobs, the long hours, being on call 24/7 and the locations are in the middle of nowhere. Wasted a summer with this company. The union guys are stubborn and don't care what management has to say. They've been doing their jobs for 40 years and think they know everything. Every department blames another and no one is on the same page. Place is dangerous; I got emails almost every week about someone dying in some AM plant.

Advice to Management

Retire. Quit. Move on. Let some young blood flow through the company. The old guys running the show are washed up and way too into the politics of who is going to be the next plant manager. Big deal, grow up and do your job.

ArcelorMittal USA Response

Apr 28, 2015 – Representative - Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. It is disappointing to hear you feel you wasted a summer with the company despite your project work with the very talented engineers. As ArcelorMittal operates 24 hours ... More

10. "not that great"

Former Employee - Intern in Middletown, PA
    Former Employee - Intern in Middletown, PA

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

interesting things to see on how some of the products are made. Better to see things in real life.

Cons

no direction / training. Everybody was too busy with their own work. Leader showed no leadership

"Hollywood couldn't better portray a more toxic culture."

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Burns Harbor, IN
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Burns Harbor, IN

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most people are genuine and do care for others. You also learn a lot about the steel industry.

Cons

*There is little to no room for advancement within the company, HR will tell you differently during the recruiting process (please note: they will blatantly lie about everything of importance during the recruiting process).
    *There's an exceptionally high turnover rate especially among young people due to the culture, work/life balance,etc. Most leave within 2 years.
    *Engineering receives final word on everything so tension is high and the efficiency of the material through the pipeline is poor, very poor
    *Equipment is very old and resources are scarce so no improvements have been or will be made
    *The oldest technology and methods I've ever seen, union environment so positive change is thwarted
    *Never able to accomplish anything due to bureaucracy and others circumventing implementation because they're fearful of change and/or someone else receiving praise
    *Seniority rules the day so old, obsolete methods also rule, more credibility is received as you're there longer (other manufacturing companies encourage new perspectives and company changes every 2-4 years for this very reason (new outlooks))
    *Legacy steel companies which were once rivals have all been merged so conflict is rampant
    *Old-boy network based on legacy company is also rampant, everyone else is immediately an outsider
    *Have lost money in 4 consecutive quarters

Advice to Management

I don't envy those who have to guide the direction of this sinking ship (down).