ArcelorMittal USA Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
ArcelorMittal USA CEO ArcelorMittal USA Flat Carbon John Brett
John Brett

Pros
  • I am motivated by my the people I get to work with every day and have maintained a very healthy work-life balance which is very valuable to me (in 12 reviews)

• Good benefits and profit sharing (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • The steel industry isn't doing well (in 11 reviews)

• Upper management will not support you in order to maintain the status quo to the extent of under cutting your authority and making you look weaker (in 11 reviews)

1. "Unit coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Chicago, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Chicago, IN

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very good company to work for, good hourly rate of pay and many benefits. Company of the future in steel making.

Cons

Possibly shift work and weather conditions. Along with doubles after a note turn. Scheduled that might require me to work holidays. Working a six day work scheduled

ArcelorMittal USA Response

Jan 27, 2017 – Representative - Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the review! With our operations running 24 hours a day, seven days a week, shift work is an aspect of many of our jobs and can be challenging although necessary. The Company ... More

"Getting through industry challenges!"

Current Employee - Division Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

ArcelorMittal USA has struggled the past few years in the downturn in the steel industry and general economic factors affecting the business. But in 2016, the company really seems to be turning it around. Yes, there were cuts in the last few years that were tough to take, but the new leadership under John Brett and the next generation of Division and General Managers who are coming up are really very smart, savvy, and seem to care about their employees. I continue to be impressed and hopeful for the future of this part of the larger ArcelorMittal as a global company.

Cons

ArcelorMittal USA made some very difficult decisions in 2015 about health care for its salaried employees, and I would be lying if I said those changes didn't hurt the wallet. Salaries were also frozen in 2016. I do hope with the industry looking up, things will also continue to look up financially for AMUSA employees.

Advice to Management

Employees want to hear from you, and they want to know what's happening. Overcommunicate!

"Career Development"

Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in East Chicago, IN
    Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in East Chicago, IN

Pros

ArcelorMittal allows employees to gain first-hand experience in the field. From day one as a new employee, management trusts and relies on you to get valuable projects done. You are not waiting for your turn to be able to do work that is relevant to your field or meaningful; you are gaining great experience from the start.
    The culture allows for employees to speak up on their interests and career goals. There are not boundaries for experiences/areas you are interested in. The company also encourages employee growth by also investing in valuable training courses.
    The people at ArcelorMittal is another reason it is a great place to work. They are extremely dedicated to their jobs, the company, and developing you as a new employee.

Cons

There could be some improvement of the union/management relationship. I think this will continue to improve as time brings a changing culture. There is a lack of flexibility in your schedule and no telecommute options.

Advice to Management

Management believes the future of this company lies with the new hires as much of the working population is nearing retirement. They should cater to this belief by continuing to create valuable experiences, but also look at policies that could appeal to younger employees (flexible work, incentives).

ArcelorMittal USA Response

Aug 9, 2016 – Representative - Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback! Team work and leadership are important aspects of success at any company and we are glad to have employees like you a part of our team! This industry is faced with an ... More

5. "Maintance mechanic"

Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in East Chicago, IN
    Current Employee - Maintenance Mechanic in East Chicago, IN

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great money and good hours if you have a family

Cons

During the down market times my income decreased by over 60%

6. "very professional management"

Former Contractor - OpenEdge Consultant in Red Bay, AL
    Former Contractor - OpenEdge Consultant in Red Bay, AL

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Good project management, duties are task driven and not a waste of time. Current staff there is very helpful, knowledgeable, cordial and no-nonsense. Lots of meetings but there is no playing around in the meetings. They are direct and goal oriented. HR actively works to help employees with various programs.

Cons

Winters are brutal in Cleveland.

Advice to Management

Don't keep poor contractors just because they have time left on their contract. If they can't do the work, put them out.

7. "Values its employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a global company, they did an excellent job of fostering a sense of value in each employee, investing in professional growth opportunities and providing incentives for performance. They also focused on collective knowledge across the corporation by promoting collaboration between sites and sharing information through a global network, especially when it came to safety.

Cons

Each site seemed to have a different culture. While there was a healthy cooperative attitude between labor and management, other sites held a more adversarial nature.

Advice to Management

Identify how each plant that excels in an area (safety, production, cleanliness, culture), and emphasize those practices at all other sites.

8. "Good company"

Former Employee - Process Automation Intern in Burns Harbor, IN
    Former Employee - Process Automation Intern in Burns Harbor, IN

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, Good work environment, Interesting work

Cons

Plant environment (some people don't like plants), dirty, somewhat dangerous

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Division Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ArcelorMittal is a global company with a very large footprint, making it easy to learn about different cultures and people around the world through your work here. In addition, the company values its people. The benefits are good, there is a strong respect for work/life balance, and a deep pride in knowing that you work for a company whose products make the world go round.

Cons

Because ArcelorMittal is made up of many different predecessor companies with a long cultural history in their own right, there is often some tension between employees or facilities who were connected to one company vs. another. As the company matures, I hope this will become less of an issue and more employees will identify as ArcelorMittal rather than Inland or Bethlehem, etc.

Advice to Management

Continue to identify young talent and nurture them into leadership roles.

10. "Like No Other Steel Company"

Current Employee - Associate Metallurgical Engineer: Quality Department in Indiana Harbor, IN

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent company culture, and most unique I have even heard of. ArcelorMittal makes a point to take care of you.

Cons

I have got nothing bad to say.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in East Chicago, IN
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in East Chicago, IN

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

ArcelorMittal values people. That's, I think, one of the most important values this company has. Value people = personnal/work life balance, career opportunities, professional growth, benefits.
    The working environment is very democratic, everyone's opinion is taken into consideration. You feel you are respected and your efforts are appreciated.
    I've been working here for mor than 5 years now, and I have made friends for life at work.
    If you're struggling with something, there is always some one to land a hand. This makes the environment lighter, and very collaborative.
    But, don't get me wrong, we're challenged all the time, but I see that in a very positive way. Makes me stronger, better.

Cons

Too much democracy can lead to losing focus, and I feel sometimes things take longer than it should be.
    I gave 4 stars to Career Opportunities, because despite there is a lot of opportunities, keep in mind not all of them are for everybody. It all depends on what you do and how prepared you are.
    I gave 4 stars to Work/Life balance as well. Actually, we have flexible hours, but at the end of the day I work more than the regular 8 hours a day (or 40 hours a week). Management is pretty flexible when it comes to working hours and very respectful to my time and personal needs. But, you gotta love what you do, because it is very intense.

Advice to Management

Management is pretty flexible, respectiful to my time and personal life. If I would give them an advice, I would say: keep on doing what you are doing now!