ArcelorMittal USA Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
ArcelorMittal USA CEO ArcelorMittal USA Flat Carbon John Brett
John Brett

Pros
  • I am motivated by my the people I get to work with every day and have maintained a very healthy work-life balance which is very valuable to me (in 12 reviews)

• Good benefits and profit sharing (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • The steel industry isn't doing well (in 12 reviews)

• Upper management will not support you in order to maintain the status quo to the extent of under cutting your authority and making you look weaker (in 11 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A good company with even better employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA (More than 5 years)

Pros

ArcelorMittal has provided me with a great and diverse experience. Over the last six years I have been provided a number of opportunities to work in different areas and gain a lot of exposure to make me a more, well-rounded professional in my field. While these moves were lateral, the benefit of the development is priceless.
    The company offers competitive salaries and total compensation packages. Additionally, I was able to take advantage of their Tuition Reimbursement benefit which is one of the best I have ever seen (up to $24,000 per year!).
    I am motivated by my the people I get to work with every day and have maintained a very healthy work-life balance which is very valuable to me.

Cons

ArcelorMittal is still working to accomplish a single "culture." As the Company is the largest in the world, and with numerous across just the USA, the experience at each facility can be completely different.

ArcelorMittal USA Response

Aug 9, 2016 – Representative - Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback! It is great to hear our employees taking advantage of our developmental opportunities, including the tuition reimbursement program! Position moves across the department ... More

2. "Excellent employer"

Current Employee - Associate Mechanical Engineer in Burns Harbor, IN
    Current Employee - Associate Mechanical Engineer in Burns Harbor, IN

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits package is second to none and there is a lot of room for advancement in a large company such as ArcelorMittal. Great internship and new hire program. Opportunity for very diverse work responsibilities.

Cons

Some areas of the steel making process are dirty work environments. The union environment is not always ideal for productivity and good business relationships.

3. "Enjoy working at this company"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in East Chicago, IN
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in East Chicago, IN

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are very good.

Cons

Economy is causing some issues

5. "Challenging, rewarding, humbling"

Current Employee - Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work some of the industry top professionals. Excellent work ethic in my department. Ability to move around the company, even across the globe.

Cons

Very large company. Salaries could be more competitive. Corporate bureaucracy seems to hamper process and departmental effectiveness.

Advice to Management

Give up the vacations, bonuses and salaries to keep talented people in-house. We seem to lose a lot of hard workers due to competition in the market.

6. "Just started working here. Great company! Monessen,PA"

Current Employee - Laborer in Monessen, PA
    Current Employee - Laborer in Monessen, PA

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best health insurance around! Pay is good for this line of work. Received raises in an appropriate timeframe, unlike other companies! Great Benefits. Great coworkers and supervisors. Great safety training! I am only 33 and this seems like a good stable job and this company is great to work for, I would like to eventually retire from this job in 30 some years. Everyone looks out for each other safety wise!

Cons

Dangerous work. I work on the coke oven batteries. You always have to be aware of whats going on(as with any job) but this is more dangerous. The environment is Hot! All of the work is outside!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! I dont know any of the management personel, but I (and other employees) Would eventually like to see profit sharing or incentive in Monessen,PA.

7. "Looking for a job to keep busy"

Former Employee - Shop Electrician in East Chicago, IN
    Former Employee - Shop Electrician in East Chicago, IN

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

none what so ever retired

Advice to Management

OK

"Work Experience"

Pros

Friendly Associates
    Very Nice Place to Work!!!!

Cons

25 Miles out of Mobile
    Very few places to eat at lunch

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in East Chicago, IN
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in East Chicago, IN

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

ArcelorMittal values people. That's, I think, one of the most important values this company has. Value people = personnal/work life balance, career opportunities, professional growth, benefits.
    The working environment is very democratic, everyone's opinion is taken into consideration. You feel you are respected and your efforts are appreciated.
    I've been working here for mor than 5 years now, and I have made friends for life at work.
    If you're struggling with something, there is always some one to land a hand. This makes the environment lighter, and very collaborative.
    But, don't get me wrong, we're challenged all the time, but I see that in a very positive way. Makes me stronger, better.

Cons

Too much democracy can lead to losing focus, and I feel sometimes things take longer than it should be.
    I gave 4 stars to Career Opportunities, because despite there is a lot of opportunities, keep in mind not all of them are for everybody. It all depends on what you do and how prepared you are.
    I gave 4 stars to Work/Life balance as well. Actually, we have flexible hours, but at the end of the day I work more than the regular 8 hours a day (or 40 hours a week). Management is pretty flexible when it comes to working hours and very respectful to my time and personal needs. But, you gotta love what you do, because it is very intense.

Advice to Management

Management is pretty flexible, respectiful to my time and personal life. If I would give them an advice, I would say: keep on doing what you are doing now!

"Cleveland Rocks"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The culture at Cleveland is all about people, performance, profit, and protecting the environment. Plenty of opportunity to implement improvements without micro-management. Great for engineers who want to be hands on and not managers. The benefit package is among the best in the industry.

Cons

Steel is still a cyclical industry. Young engineers need to be self starters, not enough management onsite to give you play by play direction. Cleveland is a flat organization with not many higher level management positions.

Advice to Management

Promote strategies that enable us to compete with the mini mills, similar to what was in place under ISG

11. "Overall, Very Satisfied So Far"

Pros

So far, I've had a very rewarding career with ArcelorMittal. The company, and my specific supervisors, have given me a lot of freedom to make choices that impact my career (self-initiation of horizontal role moves, the types of project work I am completing, etc.) and the quality of my personal life. I've been encouraged to (and have been given opportunities to) grow professionally but not to the detriment of my personal life (unless that was my choice).

I've been through some of the recent interesting economic time periods: although I was afraid for my job due to the economic crisis at the time, I did have confidence that my plant manager, as well as the upper management, were doing everything that they could to keep the company stable and as many of us employed as possible.

Mill personnel aren't going to coddle anyone (straight-out-of-college new hires definitely get more support, however) but I've definitely seen that it is an environment where you can make honest mistakes, be open about them, and learn from them without fear.

I've gotten to work at multiple facilities, and each plant's culture is a little different, but none have been 'bad' and all of them have their good aspects (some are a little more 'family-like', some are a little more 'formal', some are a little more 'rough around the edges').

Cons

Some of the plants have different insurance packages which are more or less desirable. My current plant's package is great.

Although there is going to be a lot of attrition in the next few years, that does not necessarily means that an employee will move 'up'. There is a lot of room for horizontal movement on the technical side of things (which is financially and professionally rewarding) but there are fewer opportunities for vertical movement. This isn't necessarily a 'Con' unless your expectations for your career with ArcelorMittal are very aggressive or very unrealistic. Specifically, it seems like a lot of newer hires are under the impression that they will end up in upper management very quickly - few will get there, and it will take decades.

Advice to Management

There has been is a lot of focus on recruitment of under-represented groups in our company like minorities and women, specifically on the technical side, which is great.

That being said, it seems like we are focusing on commonly accepted practices / data for attracting this talent - but my perception is that we are missing an opportunity to connect with / utilize the employees in those groups that we have already retained longer-term to see what specifically worked to attract / retain them, as well as learn what challenges they could use some help addressing to help continued retention. Talking to them in a peer group allows their experiences to be validated and allows freer discussion since they have peer support. It can be very difficult and stressful, even in a sympathetic setting, to try to constructively and openly discuss even 'commonly accepted' challenges due to race / religion / gender / ect. if you are the only person from that perspective.