ArcelorMittal USA Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
ArcelorMittal USA President and CEO ArcelorMittal USA John Brett
John Brett

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I am motivated by my the people I get to work with every day and have maintained a very healthy work-life balance which is very valuable to me (in 12 reviews)

• Good benefits and profit sharing (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • The steel industry isn't doing well (in 12 reviews)

• Upper management will not support you in order to maintain the status quo to the extent of under cutting your authority and making you look weaker (in 11 reviews)

"Accounting and Finance at ArcelorMittal USA"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in East Chicago, IN
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in East Chicago, IN

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very little work load, typical work week 40 hours maximum and usually less than that, overall employees are all great individuals

Cons

no career path, incompetent managers, promotions are based solely off age (golden age is 35), lack of challenging work, consistently left in the dark by managers, average age of employee is 55 or older, turnover, especially for young employees, is very very poor,

Advice to Management

Management is a skill, not a line drawn in the sand that you pass when you reach a certain age. Recruit more local candidates and avoid recruiting from large universities outside of the area.

"Hollywood couldn't better portray a more toxic culture."

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Burns Harbor, IN
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Burns Harbor, IN

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most people are genuine and do care for others. You also learn a lot about the steel industry.

Cons

*There is little to no room for advancement within the company, HR will tell you differently during the recruiting process (please note: they will blatantly lie about everything of importance during the recruiting process).
    *There's an exceptionally high turnover rate especially among young people due to the culture, work/life balance,etc. Most leave within 2 years.
    *Engineering receives final word on everything so tension is high and the efficiency of the material through the pipeline is poor, very poor
    *Equipment is very old and resources are scarce so no improvements have been or will be made
    *The oldest technology and methods I've ever seen, union environment so positive change is thwarted
    *Never able to accomplish anything due to bureaucracy and others circumventing implementation because they're fearful of change and/or someone else receiving praise
    *Seniority rules the day so old, obsolete methods also rule, more credibility is received as you're there longer (other manufacturing companies encourage new perspectives and company changes every 2-4 years for this very reason (new outlooks))
    *Legacy steel companies which were once rivals have all been merged so conflict is rampant
    *Old-boy network based on legacy company is also rampant, everyone else is immediately an outsider
    *Have lost money in 4 consecutive quarters

Advice to Management

I don't envy those who have to guide the direction of this sinking ship (down).

"Don 't drink the koolaid"

Pros

pays well if you are experienced and can negotiate it upfront. Entry level and interns are treated very well, better than those that have been there for a few years.

Cons

Poor management, cares nothing about employees' personal or professional development. HR will flat out lie to you when they say you have all kinds of opportunity to move into different positions. Once you are in a department, that's where you stay. Do not disagree with management, or make suggestions, you will be labeled a problem employee and a troublemaker. Union runs the place, management has no backbone and they will not stand behind you. Sinking ship,stay away.

Advice to Management

No hope, this place is on its way out.

4. "not that great"

Former Employee - Intern in Middletown, PA
    Former Employee - Intern in Middletown, PA

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

interesting things to see on how some of the products are made. Better to see things in real life.

Cons

no direction / training. Everybody was too busy with their own work. Leader showed no leadership

"AM/NS Calvert - Be cautious!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calvert, AL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Calvert, AL

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was great, the best co-workers I've ever had! Good training classes/programs.

Cons

Very poor management. Employees that do not do their share of work and miss a lot of time are allowed to get away with it, while really good employees who work hard and never miss work take up the slack and do not get recognized for it. Too many audits after company takeover last year, and after a few months went by after the buyout the extreme changes started coming. I was harshly interrogated for two hours and then put on suspension for 3 weeks for something that I did not do and they never had proof (because it didn't exist) but lost my job anyway for "violation of company policy" but they could not tell me which policy. This all came from the corporate office and our local HR department knew nothing and could give me no information. Consulting a lawyer. The bad thing is that I absolutely loved my job and always received high reviews, never missed work, and have very high work ethic. This was devastating and out of the blue! The way this was handled is absolutely horrific!

Advice to Management

Get a backbone and stand up for your employees who you have always trusted and know are good ethical workers!!

6. "The Laziest Management You Will Ever See"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burns Harbor, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burns Harbor, IN

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company if you are in the union!

Cons

Company promotes the stupid, lazy management

7. "Customer service"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Burns Harbor, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Burns Harbor, IN

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hours,parking ,work area,air conditioning, lots of lunches brought into work.

Cons

Management, everyone is related some how! Everyone you work with either do not have a degree nor do the managers but they move up in the company due to being related!

Advice to Management

Offer more training and do not only do favors to your friends!

ArcelorMittal USA Response

Jul 15, 2015 – Representative - Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. ArcelorMittal USA is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, vet, and other protected group status. We hold... More

8. "Planner"

Former Employee - Planner in East Chicago, IN
    Former Employee - Planner in East Chicago, IN

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits and decent pay.

Cons

Filthy environment, miserable people who think they are entitled because they are in the union, especially second or third generation employees. Bargaining unit and company don't get it. Counter productive with everyone splitting hairs over contract language. Would not recommend working in this industry for this organization.

Advice to Management

Nothing can be said that will change a thing. This symbiotic relationship between the union and the company is corrupt and dysfunctional.

"Opportunity for Experience"

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time

Pros

Unlimited responsibility and challenges to respond to.

Cons

Training, benefits, opportunity for growth and advancement.

"An aging industry in dire need of changing its culture and value"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Burns Harbor, IN
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Burns Harbor, IN

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sadly, in terms of Pros, there are few. I am lucky enough to work with a few coworkers that genuinely care about their work.

Cons

Upper management is stubborn and very resistant to change or improvement. Making constructive suggestions to upper management is often considered to be rebellious behavior and is discouraged. As such, good changes are few and far in between.