ArcelorMittal USA Reviews | Glassdoor

ArcelorMittal USA Reviews

Updated June 16, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • I am motivated by my the people I get to work with every day and have maintained a very healthy work-life balance which is very valuable to me (in 12 reviews)

• Good benefits and profit sharing (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • The steel industry isn't doing well (in 12 reviews)

• Upper management will not support you in order to maintain the status quo to the extent of under cutting your authority and making you look weaker (in 11 reviews)

1. "Good Place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Maintenance Planner/Scheduler in Shelby, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Maintenance Planner/Scheduler in Shelby, OH

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good working conditions and pay

Cons

No training opportunities, limited movement potential.

2. "Good Company Overall"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

There is a lot of opportunity to take on projects that interest you and direct your own development. Although career paths are not always clearly defined, if you are the type who can forge your own path and make connections across departments and functions, you will go far.

There are some truly wonderful and intelligent people at this company who are more than willing to share knowledge/expertise!

Cons

The company culture largely depends on your location/group - not all locations foster a positive, community environment. The company is large which inevitably leads to bureaucracy, you need to have patience and determination to get things done.

The company lacks transparency in some areas.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people and empower them to take on responsibilities and make decisions. Take action on employee feedback.

"Career Development"

Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in East Chicago, IN
    Current Employee - Human Resources Representative in East Chicago, IN

Pros

ArcelorMittal allows employees to gain first-hand experience in the field. From day one as a new employee, management trusts and relies on you to get valuable projects done. You are not waiting for your turn to be able to do work that is relevant to your field or meaningful; you are gaining great experience from the start.
    The culture allows for employees to speak up on their interests and career goals. There are not boundaries for experiences/areas you are interested in. The company also encourages employee growth by also investing in valuable training courses.
    The people at ArcelorMittal is another reason it is a great place to work. They are extremely dedicated to their jobs, the company, and developing you as a new employee.

Cons

There could be some improvement of the union/management relationship. I think this will continue to improve as time brings a changing culture. There is a lack of flexibility in your schedule and no telecommute options.

Advice to Management

Management believes the future of this company lies with the new hires as much of the working population is nearing retirement. They should cater to this belief by continuing to create valuable experiences, but also look at policies that could appeal to younger employees (flexible work, incentives).

Aug 9, 2016 – Representative - Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback! Team work and leadership are important aspects of success at any company and we are glad to have employees like you a part of our team! This industry is faced with an ... More

"Stayed for the healthcare benefits"

Current Employee - Service Technician in Conshohocken, PA
    Current Employee - Service Technician in Conshohocken, PA

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Healthcare benefits are great for family.

Cons

Horrible work life balance.

Advice to Management

Treat workers as people, not robots.

"Like Rats off a Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Engineer in Burns Harbor, IN
    Current Employee - Engineer in Burns Harbor, IN

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Autonomy to do what you need to get things done and ample opportunity to take on projects and gain experience for the next career move.

401k is still in place as well as continued education for now.

Cons

Salaried gutting of our healthcare, pay freezes, and hiring freezes are just the most recent transgressions that has caused a mass exodus in the past six months. Throw in no accountability, no internal job posting process, no maintenance personnel to get the 100's of jobs in the queue accomplished and it's no wonder there has been a surge of resignations by the salaried folk.

If driving all of the self-motivated and driven people out while keeping massive amounts of excuse makers, flag planters, and paper engineers was the plan, then buy all means a congratulations is in order corporate.

Advice to Management

I ask you this question. Which is cheaper? Paying a motivated employee appropriately or saving a few pennies and breeding an army of care nots. Most would agree that one is much more costly to an organization than the other, but I'll leave it up to the 1%ers to figure this one out.

6. "Shift manager"

Former Employee - Shift Manager - Maintenance in Coatesville, PA
    Former Employee - Shift Manager - Maintenance in Coatesville, PA

Pros

People that i had the opportunity to work with

Cons

Union not willing to change from there old ways

"Customer service Rep"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burns Harbor, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burns Harbor, IN

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA (More than 3 years)

Pros

9-5, holidays off, great people to work with

Cons

Global company, trickles its economic hardships down to its employees, old school business ideologies

Jul 22, 2016 – Representative - Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback! We are glad to hear that you enjoy those that you are working with. One of the most important aspects of our business is our people. We are continually working to ... More

"Engineer"

Current Employee - "Engineer" in Burns Harbor, IN
    Current Employee - "Engineer" in Burns Harbor, IN

I have been working at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always busy and challenged to do work. Good pay for the most part as well. Overtime is offered.

Cons

Hazardous job. Was told i was going to be an engineer and began as one. As time progressed, they needed people to manage the hourly workers and engineers often get placed in that role without input from the employee. Benefits are terrible now especially if you are a generally healthy employee. Don't make plans for weekends either that are concrete, you will often times get called in and forced to work obscene amounts of hours sometimes with no compensation.

Advice to Management

Listen to your engineers, look at the attrition rate. It wont get better so long as you keep lying to new college graduates.

Jul 7, 2016 – Representative - Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased to hear you find your work challenging and it is the Company’s practice to benchmark our salaries against the National Association of Colleges and ... More

"Decent place to work"

Former Employee - Material Handler/Torchman in Laplace, LA
    Former Employee - Material Handler/Torchman in Laplace, LA

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA full-time

Pros

The benefits here are some of the best around. Health insurance isn't the cheapest but It is great quality healthcare with low deductibles. The 401k is the best I have seen matching 3 dollars for every hour you work. The people generally tend to get along there and are happy. Most of the foremen know what they are doing and will help anyone who wants to learn. If you like to work lots of hours it is great.

Cons

A certain department is treated like the red headed step child and there is no transparency on the the work that needs to be carried out. Seems to be Micro managed in this department. This is the department most will start out working in. The rotating schedule is hard on you and your family. Not a good home work balance.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent in the work that needs to be done each shift and don't hold out until the first task is completed to issue the next. It is easier to get things done if we know what is expected of us up front. Hire part time/ temp. people for some of the overtime not everyone wants to work 60+ hours a week.

"Long range Strategy is useful only if you truly implement it."

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at ArcelorMittal USA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good overall atmosphere. Run democratically. Very strong legacy processes run by technologically minded old timers. Sales and Business development is more of a marketing push rather than based on market pull. R&D strong.

Cons

Conservative thinking. Not receptive to new ideas or innovations. Mills gave not been modernized - most people think the mills are bring harvested until they fall apart. Employees don't see a future

Advice to Management

Add more diversity in. Will add color, context to the company as well as make it vibrant and strong. Learn from your competition. Especially other domestic e.g. Nucor and foreign companies!