Archdiocese of New York "no dental" Reviews | Glassdoor

Archdiocese of New York Employee Reviews about "no dental"

Updated Oct 10, 2016

3.4
Archdiocese of New York Cardinal Cardinal Timothy Dolan (no image)
Cardinal Timothy Dolan
Pros
Cons
  • "TERRIBLE benefits, including absolutely no dental options(in 10 reviews)

• "awful communication, pompous attitude from senior management, no dental or vision insurance(in 9 reviews)

Reviews about "no dental"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Major Gifts Coordinator/Prospect Researcher"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Archdiocese of New York full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

No job is perfect, but I love the people I work with here and have been given every opportunity to grow in the areas that interest me and adjust my job description to reality, with frequent assessments. I'd love to make more money, but looking at my role at other nonprofits, I am in the upper range of the average, so am satisfied knowing that it fits the industry standard.

Cons

No dental or vision insurance Changes can be slow to take hold Bureaucratic and at times, political.

Advice to Management

Assess upper management as often as middle and lower management.

Archdiocese of New York2015-04-27

"Leaves much to be desired"

I worked at Archdiocese of New York

Pros

There's some great people at the organization and the work can be extremely rewarding.

Cons

Where do I begin? TERRIBLE benefits, including absolutely no dental options. The red tape is excessive and it's impossible to get work done between departments. Technology is stuck in the 80's and the egos at the top of the organization are laughable. Zero opportunity for advancement and impossible to get a raise, even for top performers. It's difficult to stay engaged when it's made very clear that you are not valued at the organization at all.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees. Give them decent benefits. Act like you care about them.

Archdiocese of New York2016-10-10

"Cardinal's Appeal Department (Fundraising)"

Current Employee - Campaign Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Archdiocese of New York full-time

Pros

I am writing this in the hopes it will help applicants make a better informed decision. SO here you go beginning with the Pros. - experience - everyone in the building is pretty friendly (expect a hello in the elevator from all) - cafeteria in the building - Catholic holidays, summer Fridays - I thought health insurance was fine even though colleagues complained about it - it is easy to stand out if you work hard

Cons

- they don't tell you that you (employees) are expected to pay our of pocket between $600-1500+ a month in ezpass charges, fuel, gifts, drink/food (coffee/donuts etc) for parish volunteers or secretaries; campaign supplies, USPS mail postage and (sometimes) mailing fees (because you have to mail your own campaign materials to all the parishioners of your 45-50 parishes). Reimbursements can take weeks. **If you skip all my other Cons please think about this and how you will be able to afford to live and budget with these sort of unpredictable monthly expenses - Your churches may be spread anywhere in Staten Island, Manhattan, Westchester, Putnam, Rockland, Bronx, Orange, Dutchess, Ulster, Sullivan counties with no satellite offices so you are always expected to work out of the main office in Manhattan though you may have parishes distributed all over those counties. There is no work from home and in my experience Appeal Director was inflexible even though I had parishes all over tarnation and I was not getting home until 10:30 pm 4 days a week for weeks (and was told this is what I should expect year round). So, you may have a parish in southern Staten Island, another in Ulster COunty one on the Bronx and another two in Westchester and Putnam. You have to visit them all, attend night meetings (because this is when volunteer teams meet) but also work on printing thousands of parish letters and envelopes at headquarters. It is really ridiculous. - no dental or vision - lack of long term planning, everything from events to campaigns seem to be dysfunctionally thrown together at the last minute - to do well in the job you should be a good person that owns their Catholic or Christian faith because how else could you possibly speak to and relate to the Priests, Monsignors, Bishops and volunteer teams and speak to them about the importance of giving within their faith; however, to do well in their version of fundraising (which is unfortunately developed by bottom feeding "consultants") you can't possibly be Christian or Catholic. If you are expect a huge ethics, values, morality dilemma - there is significant red tape. Must walk the line, keep head down, or face retribution. (In other words, entrepreneurial spirits need not apply). The executive director is more open; however, everyone that works under her (and therefore above you) is not and you are not allowed to speak directly to her. Director is very defensive, micromanages you, and seems to view new ideas or proposed solutions as criticisms and the people who have them or think outside of the box as something to be controlled and silenced. - job will not meet expectations because for whatever reason the entire scope of the job (even the existing campaigns that are done year after year) is not shared and the description is not accurate - be prepared to work 10-12+ hour days year-round with no overtime or flexibility - A lot of unskilled managers and directors promoted; people with no management skills managing, people with no people skills managing people. (Politics or nepotism? Not sure) - not fairly compensated and expected to work late (people who leave on time are frowned upon) - they expect you to tip department cleaning crew and parking attendants in holidays -- noteworthy to mention because the standard is that the company CEO or in this case the Executive Director or Jr Directors would do this if it were necessary - a lot of turnaround - this is less a fundraising job and more a facilitator job - you are not actually fundraising ever, the priests and/or volunteers are

Advice to Management

- everyone including management/directors should be reviewed - be honest with applicants and employees in regards to job roles and expectations and out of pocket - ensure all management team is on the same page - reassess fundraising practices without Consultants - keep an open door policy and mean it - reconsider parish distribution among employees so that parishes are closer together and allow them to work out of parishes or their homes

Archdiocese of New York2016-07-11
  4. "Archdiocese"

I worked at Archdiocese of New York

Pros

Flexible hours, lots of holidays, nice people in general

Cons

Advice to Management

none

Archdiocese of New York2016-06-25

"Administrative Assistant"

Administrative Assistant in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Archdiocese of New York for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible hours, Good people to work with.

Cons

No Dental or Vision for lay employees

Archdiocese of New York2016-02-25

"Expect long hours and low pay"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant

I have been working at Archdiocese of New York full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some of the people here are absolutely incredible, and they are passionate about what they do. Your experience will 100% depend on your department, but expect little money with high expectations. Great cafeteria. .

Cons

It's also a boys' club, so don't expect a lot of advancement if you're a female, low salary, no dental, vision, or contraceptive care (including invetro), few sick days, very difficult to speak to management, everything is slow

Advice to Management

Give your employees dental and vision, not just priests.

Archdiocese of New York2015-05-03

"As someone else said, it all depends on what department you work in."

Client Services in New York, NY

I have been working at Archdiocese of New York

Pros

MOST program staff are dedicated to their respective missions and are very hardworking. Good holiday schedule, reasonable vacation days.

Cons

A lot of the administrative support staff is less than professional and can be difficult to work with. Very hierarchical and little transparency about how the upper management works. Bad benefits, no matching with the retirement plan, health insurance not very good- limited coverage- no dental, etc.

Advice to Management

Since it's such a large organization, can be very difficult to know who or which department to correspond with. A lot of policies, etc. are learned through trial and error; there must be a better way to share them.

Archdiocese of New York2014-12-30

"great job depending on your department"

Current Employee - Major Gifts Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Archdiocese of New York full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

you are never just a number, and you will be invested in if you take initiative and work well with others. unique and diverse community of all ages and backgrounds, working towards a worthy mission. decent compensation, but no dental or vision coverage. good work-life balance.

Cons

management can be frustrating because things take a long time to move along, and things can get political. no dental or vision insurance.

Advice to Management

dental and vision coverage consistent reviews for managers (sometimes they slip by and managers don't get reviewed - how is that good or fair for the organization, the managers, or their staff?)

Archdiocese of New York2014-10-13
  9. "Good place"

Anonymous

I have been working at Archdiocese of New York

Pros

Great company, lots of holidays, very friendly good location, cafeteria has good food

Cons

No dental, inly for religious Very disorginazed in my department. Please add dental and vision to benefits

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees and hire more help

Archdiocese of New York2014-10-08

"Catholic Charities Community Services"

Current Employee - Disaster Case Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Archdiocese of New York full-time for more than a year

Pros

Entry level positions get paid a living wage. Decent number of paid vacation days. They hire internally, so it is possible to get a promotion.

Cons

The culture is bureaucratic, and their health benefits do not cover reproductive care, nor do they recognize domestic partnerships. Also, no dental or vision coverage.

Archdiocese of New York2014-06-13