Archetype Consulting Reviews

Updated Sep 16, 2019

3.4
Archetype Consulting Founder and CEO Jason Webster
Jason Webster
  1. "Current Work / Life Experience"

5.0
    Current Employee - Vice President - Performance Management in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Archetype Consulting full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The culture is everyone supports and shares ideas with colleges The team is top of the line professionals in the industry Leaders really do support and strive to make it a great place to work We can all reach out to leadership for both big and small issues Very flexible and nimble company

Cons

Being successful means developing your own ideas and creativity. Some individuals are not accustomed to this type of environment

Archetype Consulting2019-04-24

April 25, 2019Marketing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for spending 8+ years with us! We agree that our employees are extremely supportive of one another as we have seen them share ideas, collaborate and work together to finish client projects. We also agree that leadership strives this to make Archetype a great place to work. Thanks for all you do to help Archetype grow!

2. "If you can, go elsewhere"

2.0
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Archetype Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Yogurt and drinks in the fridge. Some work can be engaging.

Cons

You need to be friends with the founders; otherwise, you wont go far. There is no real direction for this company. They take any business that comes their way regardless if they have the expertise or not.

Archetype Consulting2019-09-16

September 17, 2019Marketing Manager

We appreciate your feedback and are sorry you feel this way. As we continue to grow, we know that geographically it becomes harder to make connections with other employees. Going forward, we hope that everyone knows their path to success and can make friendships along the way.

3. "Great place to work for EPM and DB Practitioners"

5.0
    Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Boston, MA

I worked at Archetype Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Good & Smart people - Leadership is open and transparent - Great environment for self-driven individuals

Cons

- Short deadlines, long hours - Recognition system needs work - Too many managers

Archetype Consulting2019-04-19

April 22, 2019Marketing Manager

Thanks for taking the time to write a review of Archetype and for spending part of your career with us. Archetype's leadership strives to be open and transparent and create a positive environment for its employees. We're glad your experience reflects that. We are working with leadership to ensure that we continue to recognize our team members' accomplishments. We know Bonusly helps and we know we can do more. We will pass along the rest of your feedback to leadership - thanks again and best of luck in your next chapter!

4. "One of the least professional firm I have worked for."

1.0

I worked at Archetype Consulting

Pros

Focus on EPM. No analytics capability.

Cons

Lack of consistent direction Weak leadership No sales process No variable comp

Archetype Consulting2019-04-03

April 8, 2019Marketing Manager

Thank you for your feedback as it's valuable to us as we continue to grow in 2019. Archetype is dedicated to providing the best possible service to our clients in both our EPM and Analytics Practices. While our purchase of another EPM firm in 2018 did bring attention to that practice, our commitment to having both practices complement one another is unwavering. Though you have moved on, we invite you to reach out to speak directly, and more in-depth, about your experience.

5. "Complete Lack of Strategic Direction"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Archetype Consulting full-time

Pros

Being able to work remotely is the only plus.

Cons

Complete lack of corporate strategic direction by leadership. They hire friends and family and pretend to be a "real" consulting firm while turn-over was close to 35% due to the chaos.

Archetype Consulting2019-01-15

January 15, 2019Marketing Manager

Thank you for your feedback. Archetype’s business has made changes in 2018 to remain competitive and differentiate our services in a crowded market. These types of changes often result in more ambiguity and can feel disruptive to staff. The leadership team is committed to positioning the company for success while also providing rewarding work experiences for employees. Recent changes have admittedly been difficult, and we welcome any and all feedback on what is working and what needs improvement. As we expand to a national footprint, we recognize that internal communication and clear direction from leadership are essential to retaining talent and delivering excellent service. Your feedback is valuable as we continue to grow in 2019.

"Good experience overall"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at Archetype Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Upper management is accessible and friendly, spends time with employees after hours - Support and respect from everyone, ideas and feedback are taken into consideration - Enables learning outside of work, particularly on data sciences - Great group of driven individuals that are a pleasure to work with - Small company with opportunities to diversify your skillset - Complete transparency on company direction and finances - Frequent events for employees and often families - Employees empowered to participate in project pipeline - Excellent benefits

Cons

- Somewhat inconsistent middle management and direction of company - Currently in a transition phase and working to enter new spaces, resulting in limited project options for now. That being said, employees who can identify and pursue potential projects are valued and supported. - Project management strategies are important to delivering excellence and this is sometimes left up to employees. However, Archetype is actively working to improve this.

Archetype Consulting2018-02-07

February 12, 2018Marketing Manager

Thanks for taking the time to write a review of Archetype. As others (and you!) have said, Archetype strives to keep a culture that supports employees' growth and helps diversify their skillsets. We're glad you saw this firsthand and felt empowered to participate in project pipeline. We continue to make strides in 2018 to boost our project management areas and continue to appreciate everyone's patience as we transition to a new, consistent template. We will pass along the rest of your feedback to leadership - thanks again and best of luck in your next chapter!

"Unlimited Potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Archetype Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture is phenomenal. Very employee focused. This is a team striving to provide meaningful change through data analytics. Ideas are always welcome, Thinking is highly encouraged. Their growth potential is unlimited and embraces change for the better.

Cons

Not as aggressive in business development as they should. Workflows are somewhat fragmented with a looming sense of uncertainty. The cross pollination of people could also be better.

Archetype Consulting2018-01-30

February 5, 2018Marketing Manager

At Archetype, we empower our employees to share ideas with leadership and proactively think of new solutions for our clients. It's one of the many reasons we love working here - that any employee can bring forth an idea without hesitation. In terms of business development and pipeline growth, we have made new hires to address this very issue and hope that the addition of new clients will bring even more opportunities for our team to cross-pollinate. It's a work in progress and we hope that you will see the fruits of the labor over the next months. Thanks for taking the time to write this review for us. As always, Jason and Max's door is open should you have any additional thoughts or concerns.

"Smart people, interesting work, positive culture"

Current Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Archetype Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Archetype is an exciting place to work, with fairly interesting projects and a friendly work environment. They truly put clients first, invest in a healthy work-life balance, and promote a positive culture. -The leadership team frequently holds all-hands meetings where they lay out the "state of the state", company updates, and set the vision for where it's headed. -It's a small company that trusts its people. There are plenty of side projects to be done, and if you indicate interest in something, you'll be given a chance to step up and get involved. -In general, their work is very good. People definitely know what they're doing, and it's a great place to level-up no matter where you are in your career.

Cons

-Archetype leadership and direction can be a bit scattered at times. They are excellent at client work, but there are not well-established procedures for internal operations. -It's not necessary for the majority of client work, but there isn't an emphasis on picking up cutting-edge technical skills.

Archetype Consulting2018-01-17

January 23, 2018Marketing Manager

Hi there, Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review. As we like to say "everyone is an adult" and we're glad you have felt empowered to explore opportunities that you're passionate about as they came along. And we know how important it is to have transparency into the company's goals and objectives - thanks for letting us know you appreciate it too! We also appreciate your candid feedback about internal operations (we working towards having established processes this year!) and development for employees. This type of feedback is vital to Archetype's success, and as we continue to grow, those cutting-edge skills will be important. If there are things we can do better and tools that can make us better, we hope you'll bring them forward to your manager so you - and Archetype - can be ahead of the curve.

"Boutique Boston Firm with plenty of heart and family values"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Archetype Consulting full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Archetype is a boutique consulting firm in Boston with specialties in analytics (business intelligence, data warehousing) and enterprise performance management (corporate finance, office of the CFO, budgeting/planning). The upper-level management is warm and experienced. As a small firm it is highly likely you will get to work directly with the co-founders on client engagements. Being a small firm, you have the opportunity to get your hands dirty in many areas of the company including marketing, sales, and internal initiatives. The firm definitely compensates above average for the industry in terms of salary and bonus. The health plan and 401k benefits are generous too. They also pay for your cell phone bill. The company culture is family oriented with many senior executives having young kids and understanding the family dynamic.

Cons

Being a small firm, one needs to be comfortable with ambiguity in roles and relationships to be successful, especially as you move up in the ranks. In the past, there has been many changes in the leadership team (natural in consulting) but that can cause some stress among the consulting team. Being a smaller firm, there are times when the organization or planning feels below average. I think this is a reflection of the leadership team's personality temperament. The firm is looking to build many new capabilities in 2018. If you are looking for "fully baked" strategy and guidance, don't count on it here. There is a plan but it is followed loosely given the nature of the industry and pipeline opportunities. As a small firm, opportunities for paid training are limited to directly related to supporting client engagements OR limited in company-paid contribution. If you are looking for a company to fully sponsor your MBA or advanced degree, Archetype is not the right place for you.

Archetype Consulting2018-01-10

January 23, 2018Marketing Manager

First off - thank you for taking the time to write this. This type of feedback is priceless and you clearly took the time to be thoughtful about your time at Archetype. We'll start with the improvements - and we know we can always strive to do better. With new team members in place, we hope our employees see a more "fully baked" plan and strategy in 2018 and beyond. This focus on strategy will help with planning. In terms of development, right now the benefit is $1500/employee for training purposes. While that doesn't necessarily cover the cost of an advanced degree, it can allow employees to pick up a course to learn a new skill. Your advice to the management team is truly appreciated. We know having a focus on "who Archetype is and what we do" will help everyone - at all levels - and build stronger teams. We want everyone to "get their hands dirty" on projects and see their impact on the clients' business objectives. While there are so many positives (and thank you for calling them out), what resonates the most with us is your comment about the importance of family. People don't work in a bubble and we know there is life outside of the office. We're glad you felt supported during your time here. We wish you the very best in your next adventure!

10. "Consultant"

I have been working at Archetype Consulting full-time

Pros

Good people. Good culture. People are ready to help you.

Cons

Roles are not clearly defined

Archetype Consulting2017-09-21

January 23, 2018Marketing Manager

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review. We're glad you enjoy the collaborative culture we have at Archetype. Our employees each have a unique skill set and sometimes, they'll be assigned because of that skill set. We can do better in defining roles during those instances. As always, if you do have questions, we encourage you to speak with your manager so you can get the clarity you need.

Found 14 reviews