Ardene Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Arden Dervishian

Pros
  • amazing employee discount compared to most other clothing stores (in 23 reviews)

• great discount benefits package after 1 month (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Annoying dress code that everybody hates (in 18 reviews)

• Company sends store way too much stock (in 13 reviews)

1. "O.K. For a Student Job but not Forever"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ontario, CA

Pros

- good hours

- not stressful

- able to socialize if you get along with your coworkers

- generous employee discount after working there for 1 month... 50% off of accessories, 30% off of clothing/shoes/swimwear, and 15% off of any clothing reduced by 50% off or more

- reasonable break times

- kept busy throughout shift

- always get time off as needed [with the exception of the blackout periods]

- very technologically advanced in terms of everything being online for your schedule/booking time off and there is an app you can download to your phone, it also shows your pay stubs

- the company is getting rid of ear piercing [good because piercing guns are not sterile, employees are not piercing professionals or trained properly, and they jam a hole through an ear whereas a needle actually pierces a hole]

Cons

- The dress code can be difficult to dress for. You are understandably not allowed to wear anything with logos/slogans representing other companies. You are not allowed to wear hoodies, anything that doesn't cover your shoulders entirely, leggings with a top that doesn't entirely cover your bottom and in the front, no ripped jeans, and no light wash jeans. Skirts and shorts have to be a certain length. No cleavage or low cut shirts.

- You are not allowed to have duel toned hair or unnatural hair colours. You are limited to 2 piercings on your ear lobes and 1 other visible piercing.

- You are not allowed to work at another workplace that sells any of the products that Ardene sells as it is considered a conflict of interest. So, since Ardene sells bags, you couldn't work at a place such as Bentley. Or because Ardene sells shoes, you couldn't work at Famous Footwear.

- The rules about footwear suck. You have to wear impractical "fashionable footwear". You are not allowed to wear sneakers, open toe shoes, winter boots, heels, moccasins, UGG style boots, flip flops, or anything with a white sole. They strongly encourage you to wear their footwear... which is very cheaply made, poor fitting, and provide no foot support. Wearing ballet flats for an 8 hour shift is just HORRIBLE for your feet... can lead to foot pain, bunions, hammertoes, etc.

- The company seems more concerned with internal theft than they do external theft. There are mandatory bag checks every time you both enter and leave the workplace. If you spend too much time near the tills when there are no customers [even if you're using the counter to fold clothing] red flags go up. You can only make purchases if your store manager is present [even if you aren't getting your discount] to sell you the items... the SKU number of each item is written down and you must sign your receipts and one copy of your receipts goes on your file. If you shop at another location, you are required to bring in your receipt for your store manager. All of which seems a tad too invasive... they need to trust their employees and not make them feel like criminals.

- As with all retail/sales jobs, there is always miserable customers that can ruin a good mood.

- The return policy isn't the best and leads to a lot of complaints from customers.

- Sore back and feet after a long shift of standing.

- Depending on who you're working with, you could be dealing with some drama.

- Very tiring to continuously refold/straighten up things.

- Blackout periods for booking time off happen... there is one from halfway through November to halfway through January for the holiday season. So you are not able to book time off during this period even if you're a part time employee where you wouldn't be working all available shifts anyhow.

- Stock day sucks. You end up sorting through a mountain of boxes and hauling them around the store. Unpackaging shoes is a whole other chore.

- The company seems to be awfully picky on who they hire.

Advice to Management

1. Put more trust in your employees.
    2. Ditch the blackout periods.
    3. Allow more sensible footwear to be worn [i.e. Sketchers Go Walk Sneakers]. Fashionable flats that are good for your feet are upwards of $100.
    4. Embrace employee individuality and lighten up on the piercing/tattoo/hair colour rules.

"Terrible Company."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ontario, CA

I have been working at Ardene part-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the only ways to follow the dress code is by wearing jeans and a t-shirt, which at least is comfortable for me. There's a fair employee discount, and somewhat flexible hours.

Cons

There are more cons than I can count. First of all, their product is terrible and breaks in a couple washes. The piles on every table are often a foot high, which looks terrible and customers inevitable create a mess when finding something. We get too much stock, so our change rooms are always full of boxes, as well as our backroom.
    You'll be expected to do a million things at once. Typically I have to keep half of a massive store clean, be on till within seconds of someone going there, merchandise (a few boxes of stock an hour), and greet every customer that comes into my area of the store. In most stores, you'll have someone doing one or two of these things at once. I often feel very overwhelmed and unable to do anything properly. Of course, I do all of this for a few cents above minimum wage.
    I've seen so much drama and illegal treatment of workers, and there is nobody to talk to. I was sexually harassed by a coworker, and my manager knew but did nothing about it. I've seen several girls be bullied and threatened by 19 year-old managers, and quit suddenly because of it. I was so uncomfortable that I had to transfer stores, where I got a hefty cut to my hourly wage. I've worked there for almost 2 years, and have never had an opportunity for a raise.
    There are so many ridiculous policies (no photos in store, no holds, no returns, etc) so inevitably the low-class clientele throw tantrums at you several times a day. I've been threatened by grown men. If you can work somewhere else, choose that.

Advice to Management

Hire more workers, make workload manageable. Create incentives for long-time employees. Monitor the environment of the store, do not allow sexual harassment and bullying to go unpunished. Especially when a $5 shortage on the till will get you in trouble more than threatening someone or soliciting sex from a coworker.

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Ontario, CA

Pros

Discount, merchandising, always busy, enjoyed stock day

Cons

Only one employee on floor most of the day, company expected the world without offering additional hours, always recovering tables and change rooms

Advice to Management

Upper management should stay in contact with store managers to offer assistants and guidance...offer training, more than just reading a store manual.

5. "Sales"

I worked at Ardene full-time

Pros

There is a small family style environment

Cons

At times they are understaffed

"Stay away unless you want to be in pain"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Ardene full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount if you can last 3 months.

Cons

To pass the dress code you can only wear trendy flats, and I'm sure we all know how impossible it is to find trendy flats that you can walk around in all day. I'm shocked that this company has been operating for so long and still does not realize or care about the immediate or longterm health of their employees.

Advice to Management

Realize that employees are not mannequins, we have a job to do and we can't do it with a smile if are feet are battered and bruised and are knees are aching. Let employees wear tennis shoes, or some other type of shoe that is trendy AND comfortable.

7. "Good for experience"

Pros

-discounts
    -great coworkers (for the most part)
    -chirstmas bonuses for long term workers

Cons

-work is not delegated properly
    -management does not address problems appropriately
    -a lot of work to do in very limited periods of time and minimum pay

Advice to Management

Work on interpersonal skills and work with the team instead of them working FOR you

8. "Manager"

Pros

Good workplace for an opportunity to move next level.

Cons

The busy workplace, need to be active person.

9. "Love working for Ardene"

Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Windsor, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Windsor, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Ardene full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discounts, hours, fun environment, great staff, flexible schedules

Cons

Limited employees make it hard for sick calls or no shows.

10. "Not too bad. Overstock worst problem."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hamilton, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Ardene part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, generous discount after a month, positive environment amongst Co workers, opportunity to practice and grow your customer service skills.

Cons

When sales are low hours are cut; resulting in being understaffed. The over stocking is the biggest problem the store could be jam packed with stuff and head office will continue to send shipments. I don't think they realize it is not only stressful on the employees attempting to stock an already full store; but creates an unappealing, messy atmosphere for customers that is impossible for employees to tidy properly. Training is lacking, but it is not the fault of management as there really is no proper training procedures other than useless training videos.

Advice to Management

At my particular location management is great. They help with any and all tasks they do not consider themselves above any work an associate would do. They are truly understanding and great to work with, however this varies by locations. I would say to head office however, they truly need to reevaluate stocking procedures as it could truly improve sales and keep employees stress free, which results in better customer service.

11. "Part-time Sales Associates"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Brossard, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Brossard, QC (Canada)

Pros

As a sales associates, I felt that I was able to work on a variety of projects with the help of managers, head sales associates. This contributed to gaining skills when working with teams as well as having individual projects being assigned to me.

Cons

I found that I wasn't able to learn about what every position does; felt that I was limited in my opportunities to further advance in the career since I was a temporary sales associate.