Ardene Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.5
Arden Dervishian

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • amazing employee discount compared to most other clothing stores (in 27 reviews)

• Great discount on the merchandise they sell (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Horrible dress code consisting of wearing store product (in 20 reviews)

• Company sends store way too much stock (in 18 reviews)

1. "Fun at times"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Ardene (More than a year)

Pros

fun
    cool co workers
    employee discount

Cons

low pay rude manager
    hard hours

2. "Sales Associate/ Former Third Key"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ontario, CA

I have been working at Ardene full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Manager and Co-workers, very chill location, good with schedules! Hella good discounts. 30% off for foot wear and clothing, 50% off accessories, jewellery, and 70% off items we give an extra 15% I'm pretty sure idk how I forget rn. So since theres always good deals on in the store, the store discounts are crazy. The work is not hard once you get the hang of it.

District manager is super nice, is ALL about customer service! must be on top of it at all times

Cons

As of recently, the stock loads have been insane where they have sent 80-100 boxes of stock not even during holiday season and because we are such a small location we have NO room for these boxes to go so it gets very stressful when the average boxes were supposed to get is about half and even less than half if anything

I feel as though the location I am in, head office just pretends it doesn't exist considering the amount of complaints we give saying to not send so many friggen boxes and that were most likely the only store with the very old ardene sign.

Very very unorganized when it comes to stock placement when given a huge overload, and just unorganized in general. Not managers fault, just the way that ardene runs things is bad.

People get hella mad over our store policy. In saying this, head office has tried to change around the store policy in a way. Example: they said when something is final sale but if the customer is still in the store and changes their mind on the item we can actually do a refund??? when were not even supposed to do refunds especially on final sale items?? I feel like they're not solid at all on their store policy. I doubt that is still a thing, but they're very scattered about the policy in general, as an employee being there for more than a year even I don't know what the heck is going on in head offices mind when they say stuff like that about the policy. Just make a store policy thats reasonable and stick to it??

Advice to Management

Find a better way for bringing in stock. Possibly where certain stores that are of certain sizes of square foot, get certain amounts of boxes that can actually fit the back rooms and that is manageable.
    Keep all stores up to date, don't make newer locations and leave older ones behind with outdated signs, and overall look of the store.

3. "Sales"

I worked at Ardene full-time

Pros

There is a small family style environment

Cons

At times they are understaffed

"Terrible Company."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ontario, CA

I have been working at Ardene part-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the only ways to follow the dress code is by wearing jeans and a t-shirt, which at least is comfortable for me. There's a fair employee discount, and somewhat flexible hours.

Cons

There are more cons than I can count. First of all, their product is terrible and breaks in a couple washes. The piles on every table are often a foot high, which looks terrible and customers inevitable create a mess when finding something. We get too much stock, so our change rooms are always full of boxes, as well as our backroom.
    You'll be expected to do a million things at once. Typically I have to keep half of a massive store clean, be on till within seconds of someone going there, merchandise (a few boxes of stock an hour), and greet every customer that comes into my area of the store. In most stores, you'll have someone doing one or two of these things at once. I often feel very overwhelmed and unable to do anything properly. Of course, I do all of this for a few cents above minimum wage.
    I've seen so much drama and illegal treatment of workers, and there is nobody to talk to. I was sexually harassed by a coworker, and my manager knew but did nothing about it. I've seen several girls be bullied and threatened by 19 year-old managers, and quit suddenly because of it. I was so uncomfortable that I had to transfer stores, where I got a hefty cut to my hourly wage. I've worked there for almost 2 years, and have never had an opportunity for a raise.
    There are so many ridiculous policies (no photos in store, no holds, no returns, etc) so inevitably the low-class clientele throw tantrums at you several times a day. I've been threatened by grown men. If you can work somewhere else, choose that.

Advice to Management

Hire more workers, make workload manageable. Create incentives for long-time employees. Monitor the environment of the store, do not allow sexual harassment and bullying to go unpunished. Especially when a $5 shortage on the till will get you in trouble more than threatening someone or soliciting sex from a coworker.

5. "O.K. For a Student Job but not Forever"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Ontario, CA

Pros

- good hours

- not stressful

- able to socialize if you get along with your coworkers

- generous employee discount after working there for 1 month... 50% off of accessories, 30% off of clothing/shoes/swimwear, and 15% off of any clothing reduced by 50% off or more

- reasonable break times

- kept busy throughout shift

- always get time off as needed [with the exception of the blackout periods]

- very technologically advanced in terms of everything being online for your schedule/booking time off and there is an app you can download to your phone, it also shows your pay stubs

- the company is getting rid of ear piercing [good because piercing guns are not sterile, employees are not piercing professionals or trained properly, and they jam a hole through an ear whereas a needle actually pierces a hole]

Cons

- The dress code can be difficult to dress for. You are understandably not allowed to wear anything with logos/slogans representing other companies. You are not allowed to wear hoodies, anything that doesn't cover your shoulders entirely, leggings with a top that doesn't entirely cover your bottom and in the front, no ripped jeans, and no light wash jeans. Skirts and shorts have to be a certain length. No cleavage or low cut shirts.

- You are not allowed to have duel toned hair or unnatural hair colours. You are limited to 2 piercings on your ear lobes and 1 other visible piercing.

- You are not allowed to work at another workplace that sells any of the products that Ardene sells as it is considered a conflict of interest. So, since Ardene sells bags, you couldn't work at a place such as Bentley. Or because Ardene sells shoes, you couldn't work at Famous Footwear.

- The rules about footwear suck. You have to wear impractical "fashionable footwear". You are not allowed to wear sneakers, open toe shoes, winter boots, heels, moccasins, UGG style boots, flip flops, or anything with a white sole. They strongly encourage you to wear their footwear... which is very cheaply made, poor fitting, and provide no foot support. Wearing ballet flats for an 8 hour shift is just HORRIBLE for your feet... can lead to foot pain, bunions, hammertoes, etc.

- The company seems more concerned with internal theft than they do external theft. There are mandatory bag checks every time you both enter and leave the workplace. If you spend too much time near the tills when there are no customers [even if you're using the counter to fold clothing] red flags go up. You can only make purchases if your store manager is present [even if you aren't getting your discount] to sell you the items... the SKU number of each item is written down and you must sign your receipts and one copy of your receipts goes on your file. If you shop at another location, you are required to bring in your receipt for your store manager. All of which seems a tad too invasive... they need to trust their employees and not make them feel like criminals.

- As with all retail/sales jobs, there is always miserable customers that can ruin a good mood.

- The return policy isn't the best and leads to a lot of complaints from customers.

- Sore back and feet after a long shift of standing.

- Depending on who you're working with, you could be dealing with some drama.

- Very tiring to continuously refold/straighten up things.

- Blackout periods for booking time off happen... there is one from halfway through November to halfway through January for the holiday season. So you are not able to book time off during this period even if you're a part time employee where you wouldn't be working all available shifts anyhow.

- Stock day sucks. You end up sorting through a mountain of boxes and hauling them around the store. Unpackaging shoes is a whole other chore.

- The company seems to be awfully picky on who they hire.

Advice to Management

1. Put more trust in your employees.
    2. Ditch the blackout periods.
    3. Allow more sensible footwear to be worn [i.e. Sketchers Go Walk Sneakers]. Fashionable flats that are good for your feet are upwards of $100.
    4. Embrace employee individuality and lighten up on the piercing/tattoo/hair colour rules.

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Ontario, CA

Pros

Discount, merchandising, always busy, enjoyed stock day

Cons

Only one employee on floor most of the day, company expected the world without offering additional hours, always recovering tables and change rooms

Advice to Management

Upper management should stay in contact with store managers to offer assistants and guidance...offer training, more than just reading a store manual.

"Stay away unless you want to be in pain"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Ardene full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discount if you can last 3 months.

Cons

To pass the dress code you can only wear trendy flats, and I'm sure we all know how impossible it is to find trendy flats that you can walk around in all day. I'm shocked that this company has been operating for so long and still does not realize or care about the immediate or longterm health of their employees.

Advice to Management

Realize that employees are not mannequins, we have a job to do and we can't do it with a smile if are feet are battered and bruised and are knees are aching. Let employees wear tennis shoes, or some other type of shoe that is trendy AND comfortable.

8. "Terrible Job After Management Switched"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Halton Hills, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Halton Hills, ON (Canada)

I worked at Ardene part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-My old manager was AMAZING
         -> She accommodated everyone's hours as she understood that school takes priority with students.
    ->Ensured that everyone was working efficiently so that we wouldn't get stuck working late.
    -My co-workers were very friendly

Cons

-The NEW manager is a huge bully, she has no respect for anyone and treats her employees like trash.
    -She is very racist and made my time working there horrible.
    -I felt bullied out of my job
    -I tried talking to HR and corporate but nobody cares, no changes were made and Ardene clearly doesn't care for its employees.
    -The clothes are hella expensive but super cheap material
    -It's a rip-off don't buy anything

Advice to Management

Literally, no amount of advice could help you.
    Managment sucks
    Corporate sucks
    HR sucks
    ARDENE IS TRASH!

9. "Sales Associate"

Pros

- great discount of 30-50% off

Cons

- management at the store I worked at was not very good; not flexible, not friendly, very bossy and demanding... made it miserable coming into work

Advice to Management

try to approach staff in a less condensing manner

10. "Zero compassion"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at Ardene full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Money making
    Good employee discount
    Great harmony between sales associates
    No breaks so more salary hours
    Lots of working hours

Cons

Looks at your phone when you forget it on the table
    Zero compassion
    False accusations
    Unhappy when your are friends with coworkers
    Extreme zoning
    Terror management
    No boundaries

Advice to Management

Be more compassionate and understanding when someone’s step-father commits suicide. Don’t make false accusations about them faking it so they can go shopping with their friends. That’s just horrible. People don’t want to be harassed when they enter a shop by the way. Just looking means just looking not “ follow me around and show me clothes till I’m annoyed and leave”.