Argo Data Reviews | Glassdoor

Argo Data Reviews

Updated July 10, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Team is great and so is work environment (in 8 reviews)

• Stress-free work environment, nice building near downtown Dallas and uhhh (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management has been in the job too long and they don't listen to new ideas (i (in 13 reviews)

• Use of proprietary language which uses "some" (KEY here is "some") modernized, client side stuff (in 11 reviews)

1. "Sales"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Argo Data (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great products! They pay people decently and provide good benefits. Use lay-offs as a last resort.

Cons

They could share information better and listen to their employees

"Run! Run away!!!"

Former Employee - Contractor in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Contractor in Dallas, TX

I worked at Argo Data (More than a year)

Pros

Argo feels a lot like a State Agency... extremely top heavy... mid-level management never hesitates to throw others under the bus... a passive aggressive management style. If you like being micromanaged, not knowing if you did a good job, watching others take credit for your hard work, this is your workplace!

To be fair, I did enjoy my team a lot. Hard working, intellegent problem-solvers... they have my respect. Managers, not so much.

Cons

Old school environment. Heavy handed upper management approach. Fear is not a management approach any one enjoys... Unrealistic deadlines, Extremely poor communication, Lots of OT and weekends "fixing".

Agile??? Argo's version of Agile was is not Agile! You'll wonder if the products will ever get built, built right, or will actually ever work.

Advice to Management

Culturally behind by 25 years... Management needs to find their energy bus and lead and inspire! Good people are hard to find and harder to keep. It might be time to reboot the mission.

"Sr Software Developer"

I worked at Argo Data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great for someone first entering the workforce

Cons

80% turnover in first 2 years... Three managers in 15 months. uses antiquated technology. Product full of bugs. low compensation.

Advice to Management

Would fall on deaf ears. Had to get note from the hospital where I spent 4 days so they would not think I was playing hokey... Really?

"Project Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX

I have been working at Argo Data (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart people, laid back company

Cons

No work from home, no flexibility in case of emergencies

Advice to Management

trust employees to do their job well

"Top Heavy"

Former Employee - Analyst in Lewisville, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Lewisville, TX

I worked at Argo Data (Less than a year)

Pros

Can not think of any thing positive to say

Cons

Not very loyal to employees.

"ADS Blues"

Former Employee - Programmer in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Programmer in Richardson, TX

I worked at Argo Data full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy to get hired and gain some kind of experience in development.

Cons

They use a proprietary language called ADS, which isn't a very desirable skill to have if you decide to leave. Debugging was a nightmare because you have to go through thousands of lines in log files.

Advice to Management

Get rid of ADS and then you'll be able to keep developers.

"Not as Bad as People Say"

Former Employee - Certified Programmer I in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Certified Programmer I in Richardson, TX

I worked at Argo Data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Argo is a great place to get your foot in the door of the industry.
    They hire a lot of recent grads, most of whom use it as a stepping stone to somewhere better after some time.
    A lot of the work is relatively easy (depending on the team).
    It's very easy to advance because of the high turnover rate, there's a lot of mid-level-to-junior developers in management positions.

Cons

They hire a lot of recent grads, who break the code and then leave. Which results in terrible code.
    Some teams have to work a lot of overtime with no compensation or perks.
    About half of the technology (depending on the team) is dated and useless outside of Argo.
    There's a lot of distrust between management and the employees.

Advice to Management

I think the CEO needs to trust his VPs a little more and give them a little more power.

"May work but not a dream job"

I worked at Argo Data full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a good place to gain experience in a new area. The culture is little stiff and professional. It is not a place for everyone.

Cons

It is very hard to get recognized or awarded or promoted. Some one who is in good books of right people can only make that happen, which can cause discontent with other team members. Also, there are a lot of people leaving and that makes harder for people who stay to produce good quality work as they get moved around and burdened with others' work.

Advice to Management

Appreciate everyone's contribution and fill out the missing positions faster. Offer work-life balance options to everyone.

9. "Sr Business Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Richardson, TX

Pros

Great experience and consistent industry

Cons

Not super competitive pay or benefits

"My View of ARGO"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Argo Data full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

ARGO has quite a variety of technologies and products making it possible for just about any type of developer to find a fit. On one end of the spectrum we have cutting edge teams helping set standards for Semantic Web and on the other end we have teams heavily leveraging Java and open source.

ARGO develops enterprise class applications not mom and pop software. Our applications run in the largest, most complex environments in both banking and healthcare - if you can solve the types of problems we tackle, you can do anything. The challenge is real which makes the work rewarding.

ARGO has a high performance culture, those people who are inquisitive and actively seek solutions to problems are the most successful. I have seen many people get promoted and move up quickly by demonstrating initiative and developing expertise in a particular area - you don't have to be here for X years to earn respect and be heard, you just have to demonstrate you have knowledge and the ability to articulate it.

The industries we server are some of the largest, most stable in the country. ARGO took a delayed hit from the recession and is now emerging on a growth path again.

Cons

Like any successful software company, we have some projects on older technology that customers have been slow to move with us to newer technology - the efforts continue (with .net leading the charge) but it won't happen over night.

We are a more traditional (work in the office, dress like a professional) culture that isn't a fit for everyone and we have not figured out how to maintain our high performance culture with remote employees.

We have cubes - to me this is a neutral topic not a con but I know some people don't like it. Our cubes are good size with L shaped work surfaces, overhead shelves etc. I personally prefer our environment to an open office concept - I could never focus and it would feel like I had no privacy if I didn't have any walls.

Advice to Management

Provide more visibility on our advances and new achievements to the whole company (e.g. more frequent letters from the CEO / President and/or town hall sessions).

Continue educating and re-educating middle management on our compensation studies and the positive outcomes from annual evaluations so they share the message with their teams.