Argo Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 21, 2017

Current Employees

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Argo Group President, CEO, and Director; President and CEO, Argonaut Group Mark E. Watson III
Mark E. Watson III

Pros
Cons
  • There is a sense of politicking and favoritism with upper management (in 9 reviews)

• Communication and project planning are usually lacking, especially what comes from Senior Management (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Company!"

Pros

I recently joined Argo and have many years of experience. Insurance is not usually know as a place to nurture the cutting edge, but Argo is different. Through the years I have seen that many insurance companies have similar issues. What makes Argo different is we have the will and foresight to tackle old problems with the latest tools and analytical models.

Cons

Although progress is being made, the data is still a bit fragmented. Data solutions is and should continue to be a focus.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the data and the analytics. They some of our most valuable assets.

"Opportunities to grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Argo Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked with the company for almost two years now and have found there are multiple opportunities for job growth. There are a number of internal training seminars employees are able to attend. I have found the culture is family-like in pretty much all of the office, which makes for a nice work environment. People want to help each other and work toward the business goals together. You need to be able to adapt because things are always moving fast! Argo is really innovative and is trying to expand past just an "insurance company", so I think this is a really cool time to be with the company.

Cons

Scheduling with global offices can be tricky due to all the different time zones. Mergers can be tricky to maneuver sometimes due to the leadership changes (but lots of employee communications are sent out to help).

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employee feedback and work on enhancing communication processes.

3. "Opportunity to excel"

I have been working at Argo Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a place for everyone in the company. The company offers jobs in many fields for people a variety of skills. Your voice is heard in the company, upper level management respects your views and ideas and provide you with an environment where you can learn and excel. After only a few weeks of being apart of the company I was able to interact with executives on a daily basis. Argo has a unique and competitive company culture. The strong leadership team continuously strives to keep the company ahead of other businesses both in the industry and outside of it, creating an exciting and fast-pace work environment. The company cares about the community. It has a strong corporate matching program and offers several opportunities for employees to give back.

Cons

The company should continue to focus on enhancing their processes. Scheduling and communication can be challenging at points due to the several office locations.

"I.T."

I have been working at Argo Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with some of the people within the business is a positive

Cons

Communication and project planning are usually lacking, especially what comes from Senior Management. Major plans are often executed without proper evaluation of risks or solid plans. If you're not a manager, you're not valued as an employee. I.T. is also outsourcing to a 3rd party vendor so it makes working their less appealing.

Advice to Management

You say you are trying to be innovative, but you follow what every other company does. Not quite sure how innovative that is, but it seems to me like it's "follow the leader". Try to work on doing something that shows you're attempt to innovate.

6. "Adjuster"

I have been working at Argo Group full-time

Pros

Fast paced, friendly. Quick promotions.

Cons

Management style is intense. Look somewhere else.

"Great Company"

I have been working at Argo Group full-time

Pros

Great environment. Great career opportunities

Cons

Pay lags behind the level of work you do.

"Senior Vice President"

Pros

Argo Group promotes a dynamic entrepreneurial culture which encourages collaboration and original thinking. I have been given both opportunity and tools to succeed.

Cons

Continuous change in roles and responsibilities of senior executive team is confusing

Advice to Management

Better communication around changes noted above

"Director"

Current Employee - Director in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Director in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Argo Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good people and work environment. I like my immediate boss and one level above him.

Cons

Poor benefits, pay is not great, disjointed organization, senior management. Health screenings are invasive and the health benefits are expensive both premiums and employee contribution.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to "disrupt" and penny pinch and look at where you're really wasting money. Encourage entrepreneurial thinking instead of just focusing on ways to cut expenses. Spending money on Formula and sailing sponsorships is a huge morale kill.

"Automatic Denial of Valid Claims"

Pros

Coffee and lunch and clean bathrooms

Cons

Very unfriendly, not honest and bad

Advice to Management

Try and keep employees feeling like they can be honest at work.

"Top Heavy"

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Argo Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and experience.

Cons

Management is constantly trying to fix the "budget" at the expense of most workers without sacrifice to perks. Employees (not in management positions) are expected to work the job of several employees with little to no support from senior execs.

Advice to Management

Invest in employees to avoid constant turnover, and truly look at what expenses should be cut (perks vs. emolyees).