Argo Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 1, 2017

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Argo Group President, CEO, and Director; President and CEO, Argonaut Group Mark E. Watson III
Mark E. Watson III

Pros
Cons
  • There is a sense of politicking and favoritism with upper management (in 9 reviews)

• Continuous change in roles and responsibilities of senior executive team is confusing (in 3 reviews)

"Single worst place I have ever worked."

Former Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Good benefits, pretty nice facilities.

Cons

Argo is nothing more than a financial playground for the Executives. The company cannot afford bonuses or cost of living increases for the employees, but they can afford a private jet? With only a few exceptions, the Executives at Argo treat the employees like lesser human beings. It's also worth mentioning that that same Executive team is primarily made up of a bunch of old buddies, college frat brothers, and prep school pals. I was in Management at Argo, so I got to see the dark side of the organization first hand.

Advice to Management

The Board of Directors and shareholders should really take a serious look at how their money is being used.

2. "This ship is sinking"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Decent benefits.
    Pay is industry standard.
    Good place to work if you need an quick job between looking for something better.

Cons

Management is clueless
    No incentive to improve
    Environment and Culture is very negative
    People are not valued. Only focus is on ROI and cutting expenses
    IT is a waste of space. Only interested in outsourcing jobs to other countries. All the real talent has left the building.

Advice to Management

Trim the fat at the top. Your employees are not happy even if they smile and agree so maybe you should start listening to them.

"Working Here Sucks the Big One"

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Covered parking and comfortable desk chairs

Cons

Management team and Board lack ethics

Advice to Management

Repent

"Offices closing, employees do not know it yet"

Current Employee - Senior Claims Examiner in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Claims Examiner in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Argo Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

medical, dental and vision insurance

Cons

Employee number, not you or who you are is what matter. Anyone over the age 50 is subject to being let go and the position is not being replaced. I saw many people lose jobs due to outsourcing. Underwriting profits are not coming in, claims are down, too many people and not enough income to cover expoenses.

Advice to Management

Tell the people now rather than wait until Christmas to say your job is being consolidated.

"Work environment has gone downhill in past 2 years."

Former Employee - Senior Claims Examiner in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Claims Examiner in Denver, CO

I worked at Argo Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The salary and benefit package was equal to other insurance companies but not as good as it was two years ago.

Cons

Upper management places no value on their employees. In the past year the claims department has had countless people leave due to the work environment. Upper management has no respect for the employees opinions. Company is outsourcing jobs to India. They are part of the employment crisis in the US.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees who actually know about the claims environment.

"the portland office is a toxic environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Argo Group full-time

Pros

some basic insurance experience. other than that, there's very little that is positive.

Cons

inept management; pay is far below industry standard; people who leave earn at least 20% more to start. poor communication on the part of management. there is rampant speculation as to what is going on in this office, and management does next to nothing about it.

Advice to Management

my advise, get rid of management. they're generally inept, from the top down, and couldn't care less about their employees. Pay your people the going rate. stop all the unnecessary travel. COMMUNICATE AND TREAT YOUR EMPLOYEES LIKE ADULTS.

"Horrible treatment of employees by India/China outsourcing of jobs and high turnover"

Former Employee - Management in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Management in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Argo Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Healthcare Benefits, new offices, free health screenings and flu shots.

Cons

Aloof CEO and Executives that use the public company as a personal playground with lavish parties and trips to international luxury destinations. All the while expecting their employees to do more with less and shareholders to accept minimal stock value appreciation. This company exhibits what is wrong with corporate America by outsourcing skilled and talented claims, underwriting, IT and audit positions to India.

Advice to Management

Don't put your personal bonus desires above treating employees fairly and stop the massive turnover by hiring VPs with compassion, fairness, and open minds to accepting others who may be different from themselves.

"Extremely bad experience."

Former Employee - Senior Claims Examiner
    Former Employee - Senior Claims Examiner

I worked at Argo Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits and my immediate coworkers are the only good things about the company/office.

Cons

Micromanagement. I cannot say much more than has already been said on this site relative to the reviews labeled "very dissatisfied". In my 26-year career, this by far, is the worst company for which I have ever worked. There are two others that are a close second and third. Upon my reflection of these three companies, I realized the problem with them and it was all MICROMANAGEMENT.

Advice to Management

The only advice that I can give is for management to LISTEN. Many of us have talked until we are blue in the face and it makes no difference as they really do not care. The only thing that management cares about, even local management, is money, whent it lines their pockets.

"Just really kind of sad and disappointing"

I worked at Argo Group full-time

Pros

Colleagues all agree, we are in this together and everyone works well together. You feel as though they are your only support at times. The Claims Supervisor is one of the best I've ever worked with.

Cons

Claims are extremely complex and were mishandled for years. The Claims Manager is clueless, misguided in his knowledge and frankly is just a waste of space. The interview process is extensive and a waste of time. 5-7 interviews does nothing to guarantee success of any candidate once on the job and does nothing to assure you didn't let the good get away during that process.

Advice to Management

It is imperative in order for Argo Group to succeed that they place truly qualified individuals in management roles and stop the silly interview process. Additionally, do not place Senior Management in roles where they have no experience just because they've been around a long time. Additionally, colleagues need support not an inexperienced claims manager and a senior officer who travels the country acting like a controlling mother hen.

"Politics, Favoritism, & Bullying"

I worked at Argo Group full-time

Pros

The majority of the employees in the office are great to work with. Compensation and Benefits are very good. Wonderful office building and location.

Cons

The Executive Team is horrible, if you do not "click" with their group you are immediately the outcast. I was shocked to have heard racist remarks from the Executive team about the Indian and Middle Eastern Employees. They yell and scream at support staff which I find very unprofessional. The CEO uses the company vendor accounts for personal use all the time, talk about stealing from the company.

Advice to Management

Argo Group is going nowhere fast. If you would trust your employees and stop playing favorites I think you would have a better chance at success. Good Luck.