Argo Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated May 1, 2017

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Argo Group President, CEO, and Director; President and CEO, Argonaut Group Mark E. Watson III
Mark E. Watson III

Pros
Cons
  • There is a sense of politicking and favoritism with upper management (in 9 reviews)

• Continuous change in roles and responsibilities of senior executive team is confusing (in 3 reviews)

"Continual Decline"

Current Employee - Commercial Underwriter in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Commercial Underwriter in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Argo Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are good, offices are nice, dress is business casual. There are some good guys here, like my boss, but they are very rare.

Cons

If you look at the tenure of people at Argo, majority would be under 3 years. No one knows anything because of the constant turnover. Most "employees" are actually contractors. It's chaotic, stressful and unfriendly. So called leaders don't even speak to people. H.R. is a joke, I.T. systems are awful, though not due to the I.T. staff that have been constantly laid off and built back up numerous times. Contributions are not valued here. This is a private enterprise for the executives at the top who hold all the reins and the company suffers because of it. I don't know it it's too late to change the tides here. If you have choices, my advice to you is keep looking. If you don't have options, take the job, act like an egomaniac and hide in your office all day (it's normal, you'll fit in perfectly).

Advice to Management

Hire yet another contractor to find out why people are unmotivated to perform in or stay with Argo.

2. "full stack developer"

I have been working at Argo Group full-time

Pros

Good company to work for.

Cons

They don't communicate effectively.

3. "Good, can be better"

I have been working at Argo Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good People, salaries OK, great benefits and active social scene

Cons

Long hours, management don't take responsibility, old fashioned

Advice to Management

Listen to staff, promote from within

5. "If you've got a positive attitude, kindness and some grit, you belong here!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Argo Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Your team is going to be awesome...sharp and fun. Lots of professional communications are shared around the globe. Argo is becoming more and more global and that is super exciting! Tuition reimbursement and development opportunities are generous! Donation match and 1% free money in your 401k...Yippee!

Cons

Vest the 401k program 100% right away...not over 5 years. Argo has seen a lot of change with merger and acquisition activity and that means lots of processes must be melted together and that can get clunky sometimes.

Advice to Management

The mission is noble IMO...we are saving livelihoods through our insurance offerings....we help change the world for the better when crisis hits...best to focus on the bigger picture...the positive... and not silly day to day challenges which will happen when any company goes through change. Be open to flexible schedules that don't fit the Mon-Fri model, consider student loan payoff program and potential sabbatical program offering.

6. "Good starting platform"

Pros

Wide exposure and project work

Cons

Company politics - lead by example

7. "the IT dept"

Former Employee - Developer
    Former Employee - Developer

I worked at Argo Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Excellent stepping stone
    -huge selection of coffee

Cons

-no work life balance
    -too many managers in IT, few and dwindling people left to actually do the wok.
    -the entire IT dept is moving to the offshore outsourcing model.

Advice to Management

the IT dept hold alot of different things together, enables the business to function as it does.
    Proclaiming that Argo is a 'Big Boy' and outsourcing does not remove this dependency.

"Opportunities to grow"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Argo Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked with the company for almost two years now and have found there are multiple opportunities for job growth. There are a number of internal training seminars employees are able to attend. I have found the culture is family-like in pretty much all of the office, which makes for a nice work environment. People want to help each other and work toward the business goals together. You need to be able to adapt because things are always moving fast! Argo is really innovative and is trying to expand past just an "insurance company", so I think this is a really cool time to be with the company.

Cons

Scheduling with global offices can be tricky due to all the different time zones. Mergers can be tricky to maneuver sometimes due to the leadership changes (but lots of employee communications are sent out to help).

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employee feedback and work on enhancing communication processes.

"I.T."

I have been working at Argo Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working with some of the people within the business is a positive

Cons

Communication and project planning are usually lacking, especially what comes from Senior Management. Major plans are often executed without proper evaluation of risks or solid plans. If you're not a manager, you're not valued as an employee. I.T. is also outsourcing to a 3rd party vendor so it makes working their less appealing.

Advice to Management

You say you are trying to be innovative, but you follow what every other company does. Not quite sure how innovative that is, but it seems to me like it's "follow the leader". Try to work on doing something that shows you're attempt to innovate.

"Token promotions"

Former Employee - Team Lead in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Team Lead in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Variety of free coffee and soda.

Cons

Bad decision in promoting someone that was very good as an errand boy to a managerial position with absolutely no experience and a weak presence that instantly evaporated any respect from the team he was awarded.

Advice to Management

Actually interview people for positions of importance not just gift wrap it due to the fact that the individual delivers the bosses dry cleaning. Company is vastly overspending due to this incompetent compromise.

"Accountant"

Pros

Worked with some great people

Cons

No work/life balance. Do not value employees.