Argo Tea Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 12, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Arsen Avakian

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You get 50 free drinks a month for you and friends (in 18 reviews)

• Learned a lot about tea and the cultures they come from as well as learning to keep time management up to par (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't tend to listen to lower level employees like the Barista role (in 23 reviews)

• Work/life balance is encouraged but not supported (in 6 reviews)

1. "Barista"

I have been working at Argo Tea full-time

Pros

I really love this job and company!

Cons

Theres nothing I hate about this awesome place!

Advice to Management

Keep It Up!!

"Every bad review is 100% accurate!"

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Argo Tea (Less than a year)

Pros

The tea is actually really good.

Cons

The reviews are absolutely correct, it will be the worst experience of your career if you choose to work at Argo Tea. The CEO, Arsen, it the reason this company will fail. Don't compare yourself to Apple, you are so far from it it's shocking that you would have the arrogance to even say it.
    If you are considering a job here, please read every other 1 star review and listen to what they have to say. I was a manager for less than a year and left without having another job to fall into it was that bad. I've been a franchise owner and developer and even at my worst, I was never as terrible as this company is to it's employees.
    Please, please, please steer of this company.
    I'm not a bitter ex-employee, I'm just trying to paint a clear picture.

Advice to Management

What's the point. Way too arrogant to listen to anyone but themselves.

"Practice What You Preach"

Current Employee - Team Leader in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Team Leader in New York, NY

I have been working at Argo Tea full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great inspiring leaders. We receive around $37.50 to spend whatever you'd like in the store. Which allows you to buy like 6 large signature drinks. No free drinks/food after that.

Cons

Very low retention rate because upper management does not care about you. Literally, every piece of machinery ends up breaking and they will not fix it until Arsen comes into town and asks why everything is broken. Very long hours and high stress. Also, expect to make minimum wage. Even as a team leader, you will probably make a dollar and change more than your teamembers. You also have a lot more responsibilities. There is a lack of transparency in the company as well. You literally have to jump through hoops in order to get a small request done for you. Unless it concerns their money. The company will leave you tired, poor and depressed. They do not value your hard work and milk you dry.

Advice to Management

Give more benefits to those who have been with the company for so long. Also, try to make the work environment more enjoyable. How is there only a single person for an entire department? Make the company more transparent and stop being so cheap and constantly lying about everything.

4. "Love it here"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Argo Tea full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Argo dollars and fun teams. Argo culture is cool.

Cons

Higher cooperate manager is mean to managers. They have no life and so much work.

Advice to Management

Be good to the managers . You over work them and underpay them. Quality of life matters.

5. "Barista"

I worked at Argo Tea part-time

Pros

Better environment to work in than starbucks. All the food is fresh and the managers are really kind

Cons

Expected a lot of hours in the beginning and seemed to cut down a lot as the weeks went on

Advice to Management

Nothing stands out

6. "Solid part time job"

Current Employee - Barista in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Barista in New York, NY

I have been working at Argo Tea part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy work even though it can be a lot at times, money to spend on food and drink while at work, good coworkers

Cons

Pretty high standards that are able to be met, but can be difficult at times

Advice to Management

Work on your communication. Its getting better and we see youre trying, but it's still inconsistent and can get mixed messages

7. "We Care"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Argo Tea full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Argo is a growing company with some new District and Store managers who really care about our team members.

Cons

At this point I'd say there is a 2.9 star reputation of a company who is working hard for a 5 star team member experience.

Advice to Management

I am part of the management team and we talk every day about how we want to be great leaders and provide a great experience for our team members. I personally care and I believe everyone on the team at this point does as well.

"Store Leader"

Former Employee - Store Leader in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Leader in Chicago, IL

I worked at Argo Tea full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free money in your app, not a lot of good. Free uniforms? CTA discounts and cool people to work with.

Cons

Long hours, assistant managers running stores, stores with store managers don't have Assistant managers, instead unqualified team leaders. Training program is centralized and you lose out on a lot of quality people because they don't fit Argo's "criteria"

Advice to Management

Make some changes in your management and home office. You can't expect managers to work 60-70 hours consistently and have no end game. Find a real recruiter and a real HR person.

"Don't work here"

Former Employee - Barista in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Barista in New York, NY

I worked at Argo Tea part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you meet are some of the nicest, smartest individuals I had the pleasure to meet. That's about it.

Cons

Management. They really have no clue or care what they put their employees through. They had us riding subway cars carrying cups and lids from one store to the other store because managers messed up the ordering. Everything was just much harder than it needed to be, and often times there weren't enough people working to fulfill all of the countless duties that needed to be done. Pay was poor, and if you wanted to make a complaint (like I did) they invented ways to fire you.

Advice to Management

The company is only as good as its employees. It would behoove you to treat them well and act like you care.

10. "Great company!"

Current Employee - Barista in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Barista in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Argo Tea part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Here's the scoop on Argo Tea. they are demanding. If you're lazy or want to get a free ride for a paycheck, that won't fly. Their products is top notch and so are their people. Every now and then you will see bad hires, but the good news is that they won't last too long. What I like the most is that they listen and they have people in the upper management that genuinely care.

Cons

bad hires from time to time that tend to pollute the pool

Advice to Management

careful who you hire. One person can strain the whole store Team!