Argosy University Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Craig Swenson

Pros
Cons
  • No job security towards the end (in 6 reviews)

• high stress around the beginning and end of the semesters (in 5 reviews)

1. "Adjunct Instructor"

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Alameda, CA
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Alameda, CA

I have been working at Argosy University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love the diversity and the location.

Cons

No cons. Argosy University is a great place to teach.

Advice to Management

None

2. "Admissions Rep"

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Chandler, AZ
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Chandler, AZ

I have been working at Argosy University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great potential after the buyout goes through. Culture is improving but pay is stagnant.

Cons

Not flexible at all for work hours. Computers, printers, etc are old and maintained on a shoestring budget. Training is poor. Very secretive and non-inclusive culture.

Advice to Management

Changing culture is a holistic endeavor and starts with leadership style. Having jeans day or funny hat day is not what defined a company's culture.

"Director of Student Finance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN

I worked at Argosy University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great faculty and educational programs that really prepared our students well for entering the work force.

Cons

For profit status of the University and lack of an endowment makes for tough finances in the current political climate.

"I wouldn't go back"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Argosy University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Relaxed work environment with autonomy within my specific department.

Cons

No job security towards the end.

Advice to Management

Concentrate on customers/students and employees, not just making money.

6. "Adjunct Professor"

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Remote, OR

I have been working at Argosy University part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Argosy provided my start/introduction to teaching on a collegiate level. I've worked for the university for nearly 7 years.

Cons

Advancement from an adjunct into another role is not easy.

Advice to Management

I've experienced the best managers!

"Unethical telemarketing to disinterested, unqualified & incapable"

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Tampa, FL

Pros

Good fit if you are unethical, immoral and driven by selling "impulse buys" to unqualified candidates.

Cons

Extreme micromanagement; chained to your phone telemarketing hundreds of calls per day to disinterested, unqualified, some even homeless, or deeply in debt individuals to sell them on enrolling in overpriced, substandard degree programs which most will never complete and be left financially ruined with dismal job prospects.

Advice to Management

shut it down

8. "Student Worker"

Former Employee - Student Financial Services Assistant in San Bernardino, CA
    Former Employee - Student Financial Services Assistant in San Bernardino, CA

I worked at Argosy University (Less than a year)

Pros

OK work environment and culture

Cons

A lot of work towards certain departments

Advice to Management

NA

"Finance Counselor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Argosy University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Dedicated hard-working student support staff.

Cons

No opportunity to advance. Plagued with layoffs and cutbacks. Poor management from the top down. Non-existent communication between departments.

Advice to Management

Stop being reactive and practice being proactive. Communicate with your student-facing staff to get an idea how to deal with challenges.

"Success Advisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Argosy University full-time

Pros

In my experience the pay was good, my office was in a great location, I was given a good amount of vacation time, and they offer tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Monotonous- In my second interview which was an in-person interview, I asked what I would be doing on a typical day at Argosy, I was lead to believe that every day was different and exciting. NOT THE CASE every single miserable day I would sit at my desk, with my headset on making phone calls for 8.5 hours or I was in a training session about making phone calls. Nothing exciting about it in the slightest.

Lack of job security- In my location, new groups of Success Advisors were being hired every single month, but the pool of students who were willing and able to go to school wasn't getting any bigger. This put a lot of pressure on SAs to stay on top of their game because it was very obvious that everyone was replaceable, layoffs were constant.

Sales- I took this position because I was excited to help students, unfortunately, that's a very tiny part of this job. Management is OBSESSED with numbers! I spent most of my day calling through a random pool of numbers and reading a script. Hardly anyone you speak to is actually interested in school, that doesn't matter to management, though. You are supposed to get these people into a program whether they're interested or not. Many times while talking to a potential student I would come to the realization that school wasn't the best option for them financially, that doesn't matter to management either because they think nothing of having a student take out all sorts of loans. Many times I would gracefully end the call without signing them up for school, because in good conscience I just couldn't. This would always get me in trouble as all of the calls are recorded and letting someone go without getting them enrolled is a big no no.

Lack of Recognition- No matter what you do it's never enough at this place. You can reach all your goals or even surpass them but management will always be there to remind you that you should be doing more.

Work Life Balance- During the interview process, it was made to seem as if the position had a set schedule and if you were willing and able to stay late or come in on weekends to "help" students you were more than welcome to. However, once I was in the position I was constantly pressured to stay after normal business hours and come in on weekends. I was made to feel like the work I accomplished during my 8.5 hour day meant nothing if I wasn't staying late. It didn't matter that I had children to pick up from daycare at the end of the day. I did come in one Saturday and learned that by "helping" students they meant making more obnoxious telemarketing calls to uninterested people.

Management- I believe that many of the SAs care about the well being of the students but management couldn't care less. Argosy is a for-profit company and they see each new enrollment as a big check and each employee as totally disposable.

Advice to Management

Make more room for advancement, respect the students, respect your employees, be human

11. "Supportive Community"

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Argosy University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Faculty and Staff are responsive and helpful. Students are motivated and hard working. Argosy is definitely a supportive community. Class schedules are flexible with various learning styles.

Cons

Sometimes students are registered to the wrong class.