Argosy University Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 14, 2017

1.0
Craig Swenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits and opportunity to continue your education as well as your family (in 6 reviews)

• Relaxed work environment with autonomy within my specific department (in 6 reviews)

"Run Away"

I have been working at Argosy University full-time

Pros

Great starting pay, full benefits.

Cons

Terrible leadership. It is clear that leadership does their best to make all the "you know" roll downhill. Employees are treated like children, not adults. This is an emotionally abusive environment. Leadership has stated that HR is their for the protection of the company, not the employees. RUN.

"Incredibly Unethical and Prioritizes Financial Gain Over Student Needs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Argosy University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The university offers opportunities for students who would not have chances elsewhere, but I would strongly advise any students out there to attend a community college first.

Cons

-Inconsistent directions and improper/incomplete training.
    -Company policies were unclear.
    -Minute-by-minute micromanaging along with hourly check-ins with my supervisor.
    -Management set unrealistic expectations and regularly compared my job goals with others rather than setting goals with me personally.
    -Management regularly discriminated against students of color and would make exceptions for other students that were not used for minority students.
    -Management would also regularly make off-handed remarks and jokes about minority students' names or vernaculars.
    -Management regularly held private meetings with other employees in an "inner circle" who would not otherwise have been able to attend them based on job description. This included representatives from HR which made reaching out Human Resources challenging.
    -Rather than addressing issues directly with individuals and teaching, management would regularly go around myself and others to take matters into their own hands.
    -The workplace was full of gossip and rumor; this extended to the most senior people on campus who would regularly discuss other employee performance openly.
    -Management discouraged any social engagement in the workplace and if anyone was "wasting time" they would be reprimanded either verbally or given a warning.
    -Students had zero to no resources on campus and frequently retracted from the program because of it. Those on the staff were then blamed for a shrinking student body.

Advice to Management

A new managing team would be essential in making a more open and effective work environment.

3. "Disorganized"

I have been working at Argosy University full-time

Pros

The opportunity to get an education with their tuition reimbursement program is great.

Cons

Disorganized, overworked, sales, lack of support from management

"Unethical telemarketing to disinterested, unqualified & incapable"

Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Tampa, FL

Pros

Good fit if you are unethical, immoral and driven by selling "impulse buys" to unqualified candidates.

Cons

Extreme micromanagement; chained to your phone telemarketing hundreds of calls per day to disinterested, unqualified, some even homeless, or deeply in debt individuals to sell them on enrolling in overpriced, substandard degree programs which most will never complete and be left financially ruined with dismal job prospects.

Advice to Management

shut it down

"Terrible"

Pros

The only things I can think of as a pro are my coworkers (not management) and the paycheck. Good people, decent enough pay.

Cons

Management, philosophy, and the feeling that the company could fall apart and close at any moment. The leadership changed several times during my time there. It is clearly unstable and the rats are fleeing the ship.

"I'd rather be unemployed"

Pros

Nice coworkers, good location, flexible hours, free food.

Cons

Terrible leadership, poor management/training, high turn-over, self-entitled students, constant changes and zero transparency; shady company overall.

Advice to Management

Treat your students and employees like people, not numbers, and perhaps you'll see a change in their work ethic. They might even stick around, instead of finding a new school/job in a few-month's time.

"Success Advisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Argosy University full-time

Pros

In my experience the pay was good, my office was in a great location, I was given a good amount of vacation time, and they offer tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Monotonous- In my second interview which was an in-person interview, I asked what I would be doing on a typical day at Argosy, I was lead to believe that every day was different and exciting. NOT THE CASE every single miserable day I would sit at my desk, with my headset on making phone calls for 8.5 hours or I was in a training session about making phone calls. Nothing exciting about it in the slightest.

Lack of job security- In my location, new groups of Success Advisors were being hired every single month, but the pool of students who were willing and able to go to school wasn't getting any bigger. This put a lot of pressure on SAs to stay on top of their game because it was very obvious that everyone was replaceable, layoffs were constant.

Sales- I took this position because I was excited to help students, unfortunately, that's a very tiny part of this job. Management is OBSESSED with numbers! I spent most of my day calling through a random pool of numbers and reading a script. Hardly anyone you speak to is actually interested in school, that doesn't matter to management, though. You are supposed to get these people into a program whether they're interested or not. Many times while talking to a potential student I would come to the realization that school wasn't the best option for them financially, that doesn't matter to management either because they think nothing of having a student take out all sorts of loans. Many times I would gracefully end the call without signing them up for school, because in good conscience I just couldn't. This would always get me in trouble as all of the calls are recorded and letting someone go without getting them enrolled is a big no no.

Lack of Recognition- No matter what you do it's never enough at this place. You can reach all your goals or even surpass them but management will always be there to remind you that you should be doing more.

Work Life Balance- During the interview process, it was made to seem as if the position had a set schedule and if you were willing and able to stay late or come in on weekends to "help" students you were more than welcome to. However, once I was in the position I was constantly pressured to stay after normal business hours and come in on weekends. I was made to feel like the work I accomplished during my 8.5 hour day meant nothing if I wasn't staying late. It didn't matter that I had children to pick up from daycare at the end of the day. I did come in one Saturday and learned that by "helping" students they meant making more obnoxious telemarketing calls to uninterested people.

Management- I believe that many of the SAs care about the well being of the students but management couldn't care less. Argosy is a for-profit company and they see each new enrollment as a big check and each employee as totally disposable.

Advice to Management

Make more room for advancement, respect the students, respect your employees, be human

8. "Fraudulent Train Wreck - Destroying Education"

Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Argosy University full-time

Pros

Here and there, there are a few good people. A small minority of students were prepared for graduate school. Most students were ill-suited (other than having access to Federal Student loans) for school

Cons

Most everything. Constant turnover. Ill-thoughtout knee-jerk programming. To call it a degree mill would be a compliment. Only criteria for acceptance is a pulse, access to Federal student loans, or a credit card (pulse, optional). No strategic direction. Horrible execution. Run by for-profit (vulture capital) management. Education is an occasional by-product. Continual lawsuits from shareholders, students, and federal government. Most recently resulting in a $95.5-million legal payout to the Federal government for fraudulent recruitment. In the end, the degree means nothing. Many employers would read no further than that an applicant got a degree at Argosy and move on to the next application in the pile. On top of all of this, the new Chancellor is a demon-driven tyrant. There are two kinds of faculty and staff, those looking for another job or those unable to be hired anywhere else. There is one kind of student, a victim in line for a degree of negative value and huge debt. Tic-tock. It is only a matter of time.

Advice to Management

Ask for forgiveness for what you have done and continue to do. Like Corinthian, this needs to be shut down.

9. "Success Advisor"

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Greensburg, PA
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Greensburg, PA

I have been working at Argosy University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Pay. This company is going downhill. The people there are being laid off one after another.

Cons

Always looking over my shoulder for lay-offs.

Advice to Management

None.

"Counselor"

I worked at Argosy University full-time

Pros

Decent salary, free education, weekends off, health benefits, and vacation days.

Cons

Just about everything else. Scare tactics used in management, unrealistic goals for performance, high turnover rate, deceptive practices, incompetent managers, ridiculous procedures, etc.

Advice to Management

This company is falling, fast, because they view their students as paychecks and not as human beings. Employees are given goals that can never be met, and then treated horribly about it. Management has no idea what they're doing, and the students are herded in like cattle and then expected to pay for classes they cannot afford. It is a sad excuse for a school.