Argosy University Reviews | Glassdoor

Current Employees

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Craig Swenson

Pros
Cons
  • No job security towards the end (in 6 reviews)

• high stress around the beginning and end of the semesters (in 5 reviews)

"Some ups but mostly downs"

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Argosy University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits were good after the standard 90 days
    Decent job for the 20-something looking for a cheap education

Cons

No 401K match
    No flex-time
    Weak leads (admissions)
    "Free" education is taxed
    Too many reps calling from the same pool of candidates
    Company is financially unstable
    No advancement opportunities

Advice to Management

Job is ridiculously boring when you are calling the same 100 people 3 times/day. How many times can you hear the words "I'm not interested" or be hung-up on before you really start to look at your lead sources? Corporate or regional admissions management all come from a time when the education industry was growing either due to the recession or a strong economy. Now those people who were successful "picking the low hanging fruit" are trying to tell me that I am not doing my job correctly because I'm not hitting the numbers. How about all admissions personnel from the Sr. V.P. on down to the Sr. DOA get on the phone for one week per quarter and post their numbers for all to see? Let them experience the same challenges and explain how they overcome them. I'm willing to bet my two-week paycheck they won't even come close to hitting the goals they pressure us to achieve.

2. "Adjunct Faculty"

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Argosy University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Teaching background includes HR, Management and English courses. Coaching and mentoring students to success is perfect time spent! I love teaching.

Cons

None. Argosy University give support to the faculty in many ways. The president, staff and Chairs for each department are fully engaged in helping students and faculty.

Advice to Management

None

3. "Success Advisor"

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Greensburg, PA
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Greensburg, PA

I have been working at Argosy University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Pay. This company is going downhill. The people there are being laid off one after another.

Cons

Always looking over my shoulder for lay-offs.

Advice to Management

None.

5. "Disorganized"

I have been working at Argosy University full-time

Pros

The opportunity to get an education with their tuition reimbursement program is great.

Cons

Disorganized, overworked, sales, lack of support from management

"The Pros and Cons of Argosy University"

Current Employee - Admissions Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Admissions Coordinator in Seattle, WA

Pros

Free tuition! If you work there for over a year you can enroll in any of their programs for free.

Cons

Being one of 18 corporately owned campuses makes it difficult to get problems solved.

It is a growing University that is struggling to break away from the "degree mill" persona. In the meantime most of the departments (academic, administrative, etc) struggle to keep employees from being over worked and underpaid.

Advice to Management

Physically come visit campuses more often to get a real idea of what is going on.

Pay more attention to the importance of the Student Services department. That is where student retention will be found.

7. "Extemely challenging...presenting a product all other universities have at a much higher cost"

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Good pay and benefits as compared to other schools

Cons

too numbers driven...management doesn't understand that basis of sales diffculties here is that the price is just too high during bad economic times. When other private universities were lowering tuition, Argosy University had the "balls" to increase its tuition. We offer a good product, but not the best product, so why do we charge more than everyone else??

Advice to Management

Keep tuition reasonable, and you'll get more students...please don't blame your sales team when your tuition is "off the hook"!

"Top heavy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Argosy University full-time

Pros

Great people in the company at a ground level. Students and Health Science programs are very good.

Cons

Very top heavy company. Focusing on getting students to only take online courses, when students are adamantly against this. Only look at the money side of things, not the students.

"I was a student and was an adjunct instructor"

Pros

Love the programs and faculty.

Cons

I was waiting and waiting to teach courses and many times I was not offered a course to teach for month on in. I wish they were more professional. I am still waiting to teach courses there.

Advice to Management

There should be more professional faculty schedulers. I am very disappointed that I was not offered courses to teach when I did such a great job there.

"Look elsewhere"

I have been working at Argosy University full-time

Pros

Many of the full time employees consistently have the students' best interests in mind and heart.

Cons

Too many full time employees are not required to do the work that used to be done my 2 or 3 full time people. Employees are not sufficiently appreciated or valued but are viewed as expendable and easily replaceable.

Advice to Management

Focus on employee appreciation and creating a healthy work/life balance for full time employees

"No room for growth."

Current Employee - Academic Advisor
    Current Employee - Academic Advisor

I have been working at Argosy University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Payroll is consistent and employees get along.

Cons

All HR duties are outsourced. Pay freeze for the last 4 years and when it was lifted, they did not notify the staff of their annual increase which was less than 2%. There are annual lay-off's in January and July so you never know if you next on the chopping block and they would prefer to hire outside people then promote from within. Medical benefits doubled in the last year and construction companies (where you can have a limb chopped off with more liability) have cheaper coverage than a university...

Advice to Management

Management can only do what corporate allows them to do which is minimal. Its best to work with functional departments to ensure efforts are not duplicated and promoting from within improves employee morale.