Argosy University Reviews | Glassdoor

Argosy University Reviews

Updated May 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • No job security towards the end (in 6 reviews)

• high stress around the beginning and end of the semesters (in 5 reviews)

"Success Advisor"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Argosy University full-time

Pros

In my experience the pay was good, my office was in a great location, I was given a good amount of vacation time, and they offer tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Monotonous- In my second interview which was an in-person interview, I asked what I would be doing on a typical day at Argosy, I was lead to believe that every day was different and exciting. NOT THE CASE every single miserable day I would sit at my desk, with my headset on making phone calls for 8.5 hours or I was in a training session about making phone calls. Nothing exciting about it in the slightest.

Lack of job security- In my location, new groups of Success Advisors were being hired every single month, but the pool of students who were willing and able to go to school wasn't getting any bigger. This put a lot of pressure on SAs to stay on top of their game because it was very obvious that everyone was replaceable, layoffs were constant.

Sales- I took this position because I was excited to help students, unfortunately, that's a very tiny part of this job. Management is OBSESSED with numbers! I spent most of my day calling through a random pool of numbers and reading a script. Hardly anyone you speak to is actually interested in school, that doesn't matter to management, though. You are supposed to get these people into a program whether they're interested or not. Many times while talking to a potential student I would come to the realization that school wasn't the best option for them financially, that doesn't matter to management either because they think nothing of having a student take out all sorts of loans. Many times I would gracefully end the call without signing them up for school, because in good conscience I just couldn't. This would always get me in trouble as all of the calls are recorded and letting someone go without getting them enrolled is a big no no.

Lack of Recognition- No matter what you do it's never enough at this place. You can reach all your goals or even surpass them but management will always be there to remind you that you should be doing more.

Work Life Balance- During the interview process, it was made to seem as if the position had a set schedule and if you were willing and able to stay late or come in on weekends to "help" students you were more than welcome to. However, once I was in the position I was constantly pressured to stay after normal business hours and come in on weekends. I was made to feel like the work I accomplished during my 8.5 hour day meant nothing if I wasn't staying late. It didn't matter that I had children to pick up from daycare at the end of the day. I did come in one Saturday and learned that by "helping" students they meant making more obnoxious telemarketing calls to uninterested people.

Management- I believe that many of the SAs care about the well being of the students but management couldn't care less. Argosy is a for-profit company and they see each new enrollment as a big check and each employee as totally disposable.

Advice to Management

Make more room for advancement, respect the students, respect your employees, be human

2. "Supportive Community"

Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Adjunct Professor in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Argosy University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Faculty and Staff are responsive and helpful. Students are motivated and hard working. Argosy is definitely a supportive community. Class schedules are flexible with various learning styles.

Cons

Sometimes students are registered to the wrong class.

"Admissions"

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Argosy University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Helping people reach their potential is the most rewarding.

Cons

It is difficult for working people to keep to their programs because life introduce scheduling challenges.

Advice to Management

Drop the "top down" management model. It works against creativity and leads to ego driven decision making, circular reasoning, and loss of customer focus.

"Writing is on the Walls"

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Argosy University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Met some great people and the graduate level programs have fantastic instructors

Cons

The Chicago campus is extremely corrupt, racist place to work. Management works for the advancement of themselves and the business and not the employees or the students. Following the EDMC $95.5million settlement things have just gotten worse.

Advice to Management

hire a third party consulting firm to clean out the garbage and start over while there's still a school to save.

"Admissions"

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Argosy University full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Faculty are amazing. The majority of the student body are amazing. These two factors and the renewed focus on graduate psychology are why I have stuck around this long.

Cons

Argosy is owned by the for-profit company EDMC. Nothing good has happened for Argosy since that happened. Hopefully this will be ending soon before they bring the downfall of the university.

Advice to Management

Stay student focused, they are the priority at all times. Please take care of your faculty and staff. Provide solid communication

7. "Fraudulent Train Wreck - Destroying Education"

Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Professor in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Argosy University full-time

Pros

Here and there, there are a few good people. A small minority of students were prepared for graduate school. Most students were ill-suited (other than having access to Federal Student loans) for school

Cons

Most everything. Constant turnover. Ill-thoughtout knee-jerk programming. To call it a degree mill would be a compliment. Only criteria for acceptance is a pulse, access to Federal student loans, or a credit card (pulse, optional). No strategic direction. Horrible execution. Run by for-profit (vulture capital) management. Education is an occasional by-product. Continual lawsuits from shareholders, students, and federal government. Most recently resulting in a $95.5-million legal payout to the Federal government for fraudulent recruitment. In the end, the degree means nothing. Many employers would read no further than that an applicant got a degree at Argosy and move on to the next application in the pile. On top of all of this, the new Chancellor is a demon-driven tyrant. There are two kinds of faculty and staff, those looking for another job or those unable to be hired anywhere else. There is one kind of student, a victim in line for a degree of negative value and huge debt. Tic-tock. It is only a matter of time.

Advice to Management

Ask for forgiveness for what you have done and continue to do. Like Corinthian, this needs to be shut down.

8. "All awesome but the sudden ending!"

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Argosy University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You work with incredible co-workers everyday; the programs and resulting degrees are legit/excellent; best/most fulfilling job I ever had.

Cons

Third-party call monitoring can end in your termination based on THEIR interpretation of what was said. I had no infractions before getting my first; no chance to correct or defend what was actually said-just terminated.

Advice to Management

There has to be more accountability in the decision to terminate productive, hard-working ARs. I was told I said things that I know I didn't say, but was never given a chance to improve or even defend the bogus allegations against me. Too easy for management to let someone go knowing the person being let go won't have any say.

9. "Adjunct Nursing Faculty"

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Argosy University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Classes are prepared and uniform across all campus locations.

Cons

New program, has some management glitches that need to be ironed out.

Advice to Management

Listen to faculty input as well as students.

10. "Argosy University/SFBA"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Richmond, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Richmond, CA

I worked at Argosy University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Meet and assist lots of great students. Ditto for co-workers.

Cons

The commute from Richmond to Alameda.

Advice to Management

Please don't wait for someone to make a mistake before teaching them the correct way to do a task.

11. "Special place"

Current Employee - Present Adjunct Faculty in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Present Adjunct Faculty in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Argosy University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Location and people are both wonderful!

Cons

Student admission is a bit lower this year.