Argosy University Reviews | Glassdoor

Argosy University Reviews

Updated August 4, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great benefits and opportunity to continue your education as well as your family (in 6 reviews)

• OK work environment and culture (in 6 reviews)

Cons

"In one sentence, umm...I was VERY disappointed at this university, as a student and an employee."

Former Employee - Student Services in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Student Services in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Argosy University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The students. There is really nothing else to say about it. I had a horrible experience.

Cons

The employees. Terrible place to work and go to school.

Advice to Management

Shape up!

"Some ups but mostly downs"

Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Assistant Director of Admissions in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Argosy University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits were good after the standard 90 days
    Decent job for the 20-something looking for a cheap education

Cons

No 401K match
    No flex-time
    Weak leads (admissions)
    "Free" education is taxed
    Too many reps calling from the same pool of candidates
    Company is financially unstable
    No advancement opportunities

Advice to Management

Job is ridiculously boring when you are calling the same 100 people 3 times/day. How many times can you hear the words "I'm not interested" or be hung-up on before you really start to look at your lead sources? Corporate or regional admissions management all come from a time when the education industry was growing either due to the recession or a strong economy. Now those people who were successful "picking the low hanging fruit" are trying to tell me that I am not doing my job correctly because I'm not hitting the numbers. How about all admissions personnel from the Sr. V.P. on down to the Sr. DOA get on the phone for one week per quarter and post their numbers for all to see? Let them experience the same challenges and explain how they overcome them. I'm willing to bet my two-week paycheck they won't even come close to hitting the goals they pressure us to achieve.

"Admissions Representative"

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Argosy University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing Bennefits as well as amazing co-workers. Yep- that's pretty much it.

Cons

telemarketing job. Managers are always on a power trip. Everything but an admissions representative, sales job (selling school). Repeatedly calling individuals who told another AR to put them on the do not call list. Almost all of the people you talk to just want job so they can pay bills, NOT take out student loans they will never be able to pay back. The practicality of half of the students getting a degree is horrible. I'm not sure how this "institution" is accreted. Classes are so simple and such a joke.

Advice to Management

Assist AR's a lot more. Get off your power trips. Upper management should do an observation of lower management and see how unpraductive they are. Micromanagement at its finest.

"High Pressure Sales"

Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Admissions Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Argosy University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The air conditioning worked well. There were benefits. And coffee. Sometimes people brought snacks. Not a lot I liked about this place, honeslty.

Cons

Pressured to sign people up for classes who are unlikely to succeed. Phones were on auto-dial. Graudation rate was very low, and yet sales pressure very high. I felt like I was making the world a worse place.

Advice to Management

Stop taking advantage of students. Invest more in better instructors and curriculum and spend less on marketing. Lower the price of tuition so students aren't going hopelessly in debt for a useless degree.

"Associate Professor"

Former Employee - Associate Professor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Associate Professor in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

online position - flexible schedule based on the ability to work form home on pretty much any location within the U.S.

Cons

For-profit institution, on call 24/7 even weekends, no down time, vacation limited and only if approved, treat employees very poorly, disrespectfully and do not promote professional development or research activities

6. "Adjunct Faculty"

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Argosy University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Teaching background includes HR, Management and English courses. Coaching and mentoring students to success is perfect time spent! I love teaching.

Cons

None. Argosy University give support to the faculty in many ways. The president, staff and Chairs for each department are fully engaged in helping students and faculty.

Advice to Management

None

"Unethical Push for enrollments"

Former Employee - Graduate Academic Counselor in Chandler, AZ
    Former Employee - Graduate Academic Counselor in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Argosy University (More than a year)

Pros

They will give you a chance and you can take advantage of free undergrad tuition.

Cons

They did not understand how or what it takes to keep this company standing. No one knows what their economic value to the company was. They would have quarterly desk moves to try and "Shake things up". It never worked.

Advice to Management

Understand the economic value of each person and don't lie. We all know when you do.

"Would not recommend"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Argosy University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros: Free education, great students (sometimes)

Cons

Horrible leadership, it was very immature and would pit employees against each other and make people lie to HR to get employees they disliked fired. They enrolled anyone with an SSN. once had a homeless student harass me and the staff, yet they couldn't kick him out until after he applied because they wanted his money. Oh and the benefits are horrible.

Advice to Management

HR needs to implement training for managers on how to interact with employees, treat them with respect, act professionally, harassment, etc.

"Counselor"

I worked at Argosy University full-time

Pros

Decent salary, free education, weekends off, health benefits, and vacation days.

Cons

Just about everything else. Scare tactics used in management, unrealistic goals for performance, high turnover rate, deceptive practices, incompetent managers, ridiculous procedures, etc.

Advice to Management

This company is falling, fast, because they view their students as paychecks and not as human beings. Employees are given goals that can never be met, and then treated horribly about it. Management has no idea what they're doing, and the students are herded in like cattle and then expected to pay for classes they cannot afford. It is a sad excuse for a school.

10. "Success Advisor"

Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Greensburg, PA
    Current Employee - Admissions Representative in Greensburg, PA

I have been working at Argosy University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Pay. This company is going downhill. The people there are being laid off one after another.

Cons

Always looking over my shoulder for lay-offs.

Advice to Management

None.