Argus Information & Advisory Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 25, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Nana Banerjee

Pros
  • Good exposure to data analysis and the credit card industry (in 15 reviews)

• You have the chance to learn a lot about the banking industry (if that is your aim you can do it here) (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance, lots of politics where moving between teams (in 14 reviews)

• Extreme long hours, so work life balance is not possible at all (in 21 reviews)

"Long hours"

Former Employee - Senior Data Analyst in White Plains, NY

I worked at Argus Information & Advisory Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good team but lots of work and politics. Be careful on what you are going after. Nice office in white plains

Cons

Extreme long hours, so work life balance is not possible at all. Very low pay for the work that you do.

"Senior Data Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Data Analyst in White Plains, NY

I worked at Argus Information & Advisory Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friday Breakfasts, good team members

Cons

Long Hours for low salary

"not worth the effort"

I have been working at Argus Information & Advisory Services full-time

Pros

Nothing, employees here are seriously underpaid

Cons

Expect you to work 14-18 hours a day
    No personal and professional development

"Disaster"

I worked at Argus Information & Advisory Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You are reading this review. If you are a prospective employee, this tells you exactly why not to work here. That's the only pro.

Cons

Its a never ending list however I will try to keep it short. Instead of helping you overcome your weaknesses, managers will keep a track of everything you did wrong and make you feel terrible. There are apparently no training programs to help college grads transition into managers. This makes them too stressed about simplest things and tend to micro manage. The management treats employees like trash scum. These employees become managers in a few years and follow into the footsteps of their seniors. This has caused layers and layers of poor managers and the attitude change is almost irreversible. After 6 months, you keep doing the same stuff over and over again and again. Your career goes into a never ending for loop until you find a new job and quit. Once out you feel like you are finally free from Guantanamo of your career.

Advice to Management

The management doesn't care.

"Associate"

I worked at Argus Information & Advisory Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think you get to learn a lot about the credit card industry and the fast paced environment is definitely challenging. There is a lot of learn early on.

Cons

The biggest Concern in my view is the management. There are groups within the teams and divide is pretty evident. People support each other because they have been friends in college and talk about every other team member. Managers are untrained to handle pressure from bosses and they change managers without asking the employee. The expectations are not set. if you want to change your team they will hang you in the air saying I support you and in the hindsight tell bosses that this employee is not interested in doing work. The managers are waiting to behind the back of higher ups to do whatever they feel like doing and not tell anyone about it. Performance reviews are a joke and Bonuses they give are not upto the industry standards. The ugliest thing about this company is that if you do 1 small thing wrong and 100 things right they won't care how much you have done. It's that mistake they will remember and blame you.The culture of the company is very biased in that way.

Advice to Management

I would say recruit good people and take care of them. Team structure should be more flat and give more voice to employees and not their managers.

"Associate"

Pros

Take it if you dont have any other option,

Cons

its a staffing company in disguise of a Consulting firm

"Associate Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

I worked at Argus Information & Advisory Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place to learn about Banking Industry.

Cons

No work life balance, Lots of work, Usually will end up working on 2 Projects simultaneously and deadlines are super tight. Technology is outdated and personal growth is limited. This is a company which never encourages innovation and if you would suggest one, management kills it.

Advice to Management

Encourage innovation and respect your employees.

"Like a 80's slasher film but its your hopes & dreams that are cut down one by one"

Former Employee - Analyst in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in White Plains, NY

I worked at Argus Information & Advisory Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Free snacks on Wed and breakfast on Friday. Tea, coffee and soft drinks are available every day.

2. Support staff (IT, HR, administrators and finance) are pretty good. They will help you if a problem arises so try stay in their good graces. Its a good idea to try and get a connection with their team in case something fishy or bad happens.

3. Career prospects are good. You can expect to be promoted every 1.5-2 years simply because turnover rates are so high (kind of like the units storming the beaches of Normandy in WWII high).

Cons

1. The number of H1-B visas is incredibly high. There is nothing wrong with the workers themselves but they are quick to agree with management because they are afraid to lose their job/get deported. This leads to errors being made even when the analyst knows its wrong because they are afraid to get into arguments with management or working so much over time that they become prone to make mistakes.

2. Work environment is awful. They tried to put a Foosball table in the kitchen but boarded it up because god forbid people start to socialize and enjoy working in the office. Whenever people start laughing, management starts glaring at you like the Eye of Sauron and any semblance of a personality is stripped from you.

3. Attrition rate is high and it leads to work place inefficiency as you are constantly training new people only to watch them leave in a year or two. It adds to work place stress on the remaining team members who have to pick up the slack and saps morale in the office (usually the better employees are the ones leaving). You come to that realization pretty early on in your career here. About a year in, I noticed I was the last person left on the team I came in with and it was a nightmarish feeling. Its like in a scifi movie where the heroes have to jettison part of the ship in order to save it but there is that one guy who didn't make it. Im that guy who has to look out in horror through the blast door as I see my fellow crew members escape and I drift away into the abyss knowing full well my time has come to an end.

Advice to Management

1. Please stop sending those company wide generic copy and paste welcome emails. "Welcome ___. He graduated from ___. He likes to ___,___,etc in his spare time. They will have lots to contribute, please drop by to say hello". Honestly, its depressing because at the rate we lose people, the associates use it more as a body count than a greeting tool. Its tough enough to get through the day without being reminded by some generic email that we didnt ask for, from a manager that we dont even know, about a guy who we will probably never see, for insincere sense of community in the world place. Just work on treating the current workers better and reducing turnover rate. This isnt some Darwinian theory of survival of the fittest, the best workers end up leaving because they dont have to accept getting treated like trash. Our product would be better if we kept our best workers.

TIP for new Workers!
    Try and find a good mentor, there are a few in the office that will take time out of their day to help foster your growth. They are the people you want to build connections with and along with your fellow coworkers are your 'Band of Brothers', a light in the darkness so to speak. In the future you'll come back and retell the crazy stories you had working here. Best of luck, hope this is helpful and now my watch is ended.

"Terrible would be an understatement"

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Argus Information & Advisory Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Getting your feet wet with data. Glassdoor is making me have 20 word minimum. There's no other positives really. Filler Filler

Cons

This place is essentially the professionals version of a sweat shop. Managers have no respect for their employees personal time. You'll be asked to constantly sacrifice for the firm, but they will invest very little in investing in you. The data is often so messed up that you spend more time cleaning then doing actual analysis. The data quality is dubious, the hardware is absolute junk. The type of work and tools are also rather limited to the point where your skills are not easily transferable making it very hard to transition to anything beyond one of your clients. Unless you absolutely have to, DON'T JOIN!

Advice to Management

Learn to treat your employees if you want to actually want to keep talent.

"If you are still here then get out for your own good!"

Pros

Steep initial learning curve, smart and professional colleagues and free drinks. But that's about it!

Cons

Awful senior management. Employees are treated like replaceable junk. Raises are a joke, hours can be extremely long - 12+ hrs sometimes, work gets repetitive after 9 months of initial learning and you keep doing the same stuff for at least 4+ years in most teams. Their own internal employee survey gave them such an awful review that they were ashamed enough not to share it for a while. DO NOT WORK HERE UNLESS YOU HAVE NO OPTION!

Advice to Management

These guys will never change. They don't understand that its more economical and efficient to make an effort to retain employees than the replace half the work force annually. They are only concerned about maximizing margins and revenues. Every time experience leaves you end showing shoddy analysis based on bad data to your clients done by a new hire with no training and no one to oversee their work. The clients just don't know about this!