Arhaus Furniture Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 15, 2018

Current Employees

John Reed

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The pros of working here are that you are selling a great product (in 21 reviews)

• Beautiful store always changing the looks, great customers (in 20 reviews)

Cons

"Getting the company back on track!"

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

So...we had our final meeting on the final day of 2017. Commissions was the main topic. Another year and another new commission plan. I get the change because we have lots of people that are happy selling the minimum—-I’m a solid seller with Arhaus for years and love what I do and love working at Arhaus. Maybe that’s why I get they had to do it. If you want a paycheck with mediocre sales - this is not a plan or place for you to work anymore.

Cons

There are plenty. Years ago - we used to spend a lot of money on advertising for the stores... here we are in the Storewide Sale and all we have is a catalog. Thanks. We used to have magazine ads, tv commercials, mall advertising, and more. Cutting the pay - I get it. In return-we need more marketing to drive traffic into our store.

We have lots of new product in our only form of advertising - the catalog - we don’t even have most of the new product in our stores to show customers. On top of that - we are always out of stock on the product that is suppose to be in stock product. Rugs are a mess. Attitudes from the product team are terrible. They are all rude. I get it. In return-we need a better product team that can get the product in our stores and in stock!

Our computers. We still don’t have WIFI. Still have problems with our printers, computers...the new phones are horrible. They installed them in our store and we didn’t even know how to transfer a call!

Deliveries. Still a problem but not as bad. Concierge is slowly getting fixed but still not even close.

So let’s cut the sellers pay...but what’s the payoff...I get it but how come no one else is expected to do a better job? Or take a pay cut for bad performance?

Advice to Management

John we all love you and Arhaus. We are all thrilled Kathy is back and we know she was forced to change the commission plan. We’ll be accountable for our sales...but when will you make the corporate teams accountable? These problems have gone on far too long! Now you need to look at your corporate office and start clearing out the departments that are doing mediocre performances...I think the commission plan is fine but it’s hard pill to swallow when another delivery occurs and the product is damaged or a customer has been waiting months for an in-stock occasional table or I’m told to look at a MAPP from 2years from the Wood team when I have a question! It goes both ways! I still love Arhaus even with all the issues!

"The sky's the limit when you CAN sell!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You can make a lot of money if you're good at selling. The store incentive bonus program adds to your own commission. If you're just looking to "work" look elsewhere because solid sellers need to be my team members.

Cons

Out of stock on product that sold better than expectations. But it's coming! Cleaning the store not fun really but then better to do it than have customers see a not perfect store.

Advice to Management

Current path is wonderful. Keep getting the best sellers in larger quantities.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stores are exquisite with heirloom product! Sales team works incredibly hard to achieve success and deliver a wonderful experience to the client. Product is cutting edge and clients want their homes filled with Arhaus product- what a great job I have making this happen everyday!

Cons

Growing pains— more in stock product needed! Clients want our product and don’t want to wait! Keep the IT department working on internal projects that will make the flow and client experience better!

Advice to Management

Keep going in the direction you have been since March- we have seen significant improvement with morale and passion internally— in all departments! Keep listening and accepting all the feedback!

"Pay cut so work harder and sell more!!! Happy New Year!"

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The concept is there the tools are not. You may work for corporation but you are treated like an independent contractor for better or worse.

Cons

Quality control, delivery issues, lack of inventory and customer service is to blame for revenue losses this year but employees have to pay the price on their heads. It costs $40K to employ you so now we can't afford you unless you sell more than you are worth. This is understandable but the new message is "please we need you to work twice as hard for 1/2 the pay.." and then the local is not great for several of the stores. Marketing however would put us on the map. To open 4 showrooms in California in a highly competitive market without advertising is crazy. Social media is not local media and leads 95% of people to the internet not the locations. Catalogues targeted to upper real estate zip codes still doesn't invite them to shop locally. So many problems with execution and delivery and the evidence is all over yelp reviews. Commission goes down when items arrive damaged, or have execution issues. Hamster wheel mentality to sell sell sell but good luck on support from corporate and watch your back on the sales floor. The person that gives you a hand one minute takes your customer the next next. Survival of the fittest and shadiest.

Advice to Management

Invest in your stores and your employees or you will be hiring less than average salespeople and your numbers will not sustain.

"Amazing turnaround and an exciting future."

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People.Product. Career opportunities.

These are just three simple reasons I have grown and stayed with this company for nearly 8 years. As some other reviewers have posted is isn’t a simple or easy job. Hard working, self driven, creative people are who adapt and thrive in this retail world. The product is amazing and the customization options seem endless. Hearing the journey that our product goes through from developing or finding a new vendor half way around the world is my favorite part. Arhaus also hires from within so if you are looking to build a career this is the place for you!

Cons

2016 was really tough. But there have been aggressive changes since March 2017 to bring the company back and they have been successful. There are still issues with out of stock product, IT phone and computer systems, and delivery. They need to be addressed and corrected in order to meet our customers expectations.

Advice to Management

Continue looking to improve infrastructure. Focus on training sales team and managers. If you build strong teams everything will grow. Focus on your people and keeping best sellers in stock!

"Arhaus- a place to grow your career"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Arhaus has wonderful advancement opportunities as well as lateral mobility to accommodate lifestyle changes

Cons

Arhaus is a rapidly growing company that experienced some growing pains at the height of growth. Since slowing growth, the company had become stronger and regained some of its core values.

"More pancakes and less work and even less truth"

Pros

The pro is that I won’t be here much longer, especially the way it’s going right now, I’m ready to go. They got rid of one problem. Still more to go but I will hopefully be gone as well as some of my coworkers before that happens.

Cons

Management or lack of support from management. Living unrealistic deadlines and no one pushing back on reality especially so called management. Conflicts and tension all over, and it’s all ignored. So many problems that need fixed first but we want to ignore those and thing what we are doing will fix those. Working hard and watching departments that seem to put fun before work and they have a ton of issues to resolve. IT systems are a mess. Seems like a total lack of priority. The list could go on but a lot of it has been said already.

Advice to Management

Take a good hard look at your internal departments, what people are actually doing and evaluate management and supporting tools.

"Some things will never change"

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time

Pros

The furniture, SOME fabulous coworkers - both field and corporate. Showrooms. One out of every three employees is a hard working, delightful and dedicated individual.

Cons

Oh, where do I begin.

Well for starters, the commission structure is where it is now because of the following...
    1) Run amuck product discounting as directed by KV when she returned as a “consultant” in February - basically give the product to the client for whatever they want to pay for it.
    2) 30 million loan in June not invested wisely - more on that later
    3) Pitiful sales $ return in August for the biggest month of the year even with a continuation of “let them pay whatever they want to” - or wait, was it because of the heavy discounting the mark was missed? Might want to do some math there...
    4) No inventory left for MANY, MANY products that were already oversold in August or prior to.
    5) Back to the loan - Money should have been reinvested in inventory replenishment and streamlining of delivery system to one third party entity that holds every driver accountable for errors and damage. It wasn’t.
    6) Now with no money to cover overhead, basic necessities and the cry for more inventory even louder - time to pull the rug out from under the DCs as they are scratching their heads wondering how we got here (quite honestly through no fault of their own - they did as they were told). Song and dance given as to why “she had to do it and had no control over the change”... well, now your know the truth. You are in this position because of poor planning/leadership. Retail landscape has changed since last time KV was here. Now more thought, planning and prioritizing are needed.

The journey of KV back to Arhaus
    1) Left the company for another job
    2) No longer has that job
    3) Her minions step in and start posting negative reviews on Glassdoor in January 2017 laced with “we want to go back to the good ole days” (of course they do - some of them had to actually perform real work for the first time ever because they were being held to the same standards as everyone else)
    4) KV hired as a consultant and starts in on point 1 from the previous section.
    5)Starts working up ways to get rid of people that don’t bow down and pledge undying loyalty to her. They aren’t knights and this isn’t King Arthur’s court. Actually if it was King Arthur’s court, there would be “round table” discussions on issues and planning versus the reactionary dictatorship we have now.
    6) Continues to use her classic style of pitting people or departments against one another to incite competition/anger - Store versus store, corporate versus field, design consultant versus manager or design consultant versus design consultant.... You get the drift. You’ve seen it unfold on Glassdoor or maybe you have experienced it first hand. In the past, this style has made people hungry to do more (thus more productivity and sales). The other objective she has by doing this is to get rid of people - maybe it’s for budget reasons, maybe they threaten her dictatorship, maybe one of her minions actually has to perform work managing them, maybe they aren’t a VIB rouge member at Sephora - whatever it is. This time people aren’t tolerating this strategy and have proactively exited the company. Better opportunities are everywhere. How is that working out for you on this go around? Insert lol emoji face here - 20 times over.

Advice to Management

Sales talent is sales talent. Ultimately they can sell the same amount of product even with restrictions on what they offer for discounts. Storis is Storis - again, not the best system but it works and people are familiar with it. Scale back on the technology initiatives for now. Rework the areas that hurt the sales teams - really through no fault of these departments either.... but delivery, inventory, concierge, etc. They just need more efficient and effective systems in place for delivery (one third party hauler with driver accountability). Scale back product assortment and focus on core product inventory replenishment. Focus on where you are bleeding cash.

All employees need to be treated in a CONSISTENT and FAIR manor. No one should ever have to “play the game” to keep their job or be sacrificed due to favoritism.

Please listen to the right people, John - not the self serving.

Investors/shareholders - hopefully you know what the next steps are.

"Design Consultant"

Current Employee - Sales in Edina, MN
    Current Employee - Sales in Edina, MN

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time

Pros

I love the products and enjoy working with our customers to provide rooms that they are proud of. Beautiful showroom. When the team is working well together it is a really fun job with good earning potential. The current team is great!

Cons

The company and store have gone thru many changes and growing pains in the past, which was frustrating and affected sales. However with a positive mindset there is so much potential in this job and many things have been resolved.

"Happy New Year, here’s your pay cut. Part timers only, please."

Current Employee - Full Time Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Full Time Sales Associate

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Nicely done upholstery. Nicely done wood when you can get it. A different professional sales/design experience from our competitors that you are ruining with your (yet another) new commission structure.

Cons

The New Years Eve sales meeting with yet another new idea affecting sales and the customer experience.
    Full time professionals? You’re too expensive. We can’t afford you. Read the back page of our fancy book, everyone else has only part time employees in their stores! (Lie, btw)

Advice to Management

You’ve rolled out a new commission structure yet again that takes away a rather substantial sum of money while asking to make higher numbers. We’re not dumb.
    If you want to clean the house, then do it. Have your managers at the stores let go of the people who are not producing and riding out a paycheck week after week with no repercussions. No, instead you make everyone—especially your top (meat of the sales scale) suffer.
    Listen, not everyone is going to sell several mill a year. Respectfully, those folks are the exception.
    You’ve punished talented, million plus writers substantially. They will loose 300-400 dollars per commission. I guess that’s just small potatoes to you all. But yet you are doing nothing to help us sell more because your Stock levels are disastrous. And so is customer and EMPLOYEE SUPPORT.

I ask you, when you all come up with these new ideas does ANYONE properly think them through?

We can read between the lines. You want to be just like everyone on the back sheet of your fancy new commission structure plan book that you dumped on us on the last day of the last month of the year. What is wrong with you? Talk about a moral extinguisher. Once again, you don’t think things through.

You don’t value the full time professional. No. No, you don’t. You’ve made that very clear. And that means you don’t value your customer. Plain and simple, Cleveland.

What a shame. What a very big shame.