Arhaus Furniture Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
John Reed

Cons

"Good work but no real leadership"

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Fredericksburg, VA
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in Fredericksburg, VA

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers, sales manager was great, fun environment, easy to sell furniture

Cons

No leadership by manager, store ran by rude employee with seniority, company cut benefits, most furniture aside from sofas made in China

Advice to Management

Run the store instead of letting others dictate what to be done. Don't let someone do what they want, whenever they want just because of personal relationships. Actually lead the store, make all employees adhere to the company regulations and rules. Don't let employees treat other employees and customers with blatant disrespect.

"Design Consultant"

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Friendswood, TX
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in Friendswood, TX

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good commission
    Flexible scheduling
    Here the coworkers are fair
    Good health insurance/benefits

Cons

With any work place there is some drama
    low commission percentage (tier program)

"Design Consultant"

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Arhaus exhibits a very creative environment and gorgeous products. I am always looking forward to going to the store! This is not your typical furniture store! It's a feast for your eyes!

Cons

I don't believe the design consultants are rewarded accordingly. We take the brunt of any issues, such as delivery, product damage...and take the monetary hit in our pay. There needs to be accountability on all levels; in all departments.

Advice to Management

Respect your frontline and reward them accordingly. Without sales, and the people that enjoy the process of selling Arhaus, there is no company.

"JR is back in the driver's seat!"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Owner at the helm! Yippee!

It feels so good!

Million Dollar Sellers come out of your basements and feel sunshine on your faces!

Selling is good again...no more journeys...it's back to closing sales! Yeah!

God bless you JR!!!

Cons

It appears the HR Team can write posts!

Did the CEO put you up to it?

Come on...you can tell us...or better yet, we'll secretly pull your emails...you know how that works, right?

The posts sound solid...almost convincing....Good for all of you!

100% pack of lies!

Move along little doggies! Take your big salaries and bad changes and head back to the Dollar Store!

The sleeping giant has awaken!

Advice to Management

JR is steering the ship now and look at the soaring February sales! Better watch out Resto - Arhaus is finding its way home...and it feels so good!

"YO ADRIAN.......................Dont believe the recent fake positive reviews.................................."

Current Employee - Corporate in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Corporate in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

John Reed is the reason this company is around. He is the reason it thrives. He is the only reason sales are finally not in the red and the company is motivated again! So glad to have you back in the biz!

Some of the people are great. This statement excludes the current executive team.

Cons

First off, the recent rash of positive reviews are written by the same group of 4 people. Its very obvious. Nobody in the company would praise the HR department, except themselves.They are unmotivated and typically outsource any and all real work. I challenge people to start contacting HR and see how far you get. They cant explain anything. Unless you ask about beagles, then the CPO will tell you all about facetiming her dogs when she travels. Other than that, zip, zero, zilch.

Another way to tell the reviews are written by the same person, is that they say how amazing the company is but bash everything about the company and John Reed the entire review. If its so great, why aren't you posting a more positive review? I love working here, but let me write and write about why its so bad.

More importantly, why are you so against John? Without him, there would be no Arhaus. He stepped aside for over a year. It got him no where good. Are you upset he is starting to hold all of you accountable? Asking you difficult questions?Actuallly (gasp) making you work??? You cant sit in your ivory tower executive meeting and make bad decisions together any longer? Did he break up your little clique? Sounds sad. Maybe we should send out a 2.0 apology letter.................. Break out the cue cards

Wake up people, you walk around as officers of a company that employs you, provides you and your families benefits and you bash the man who not only owns the business & is your Chairman, butstarted this company from nothing and grew it into what it is today. You realize you are working for someone that has more than you ever will and you act as if you are better or smarter? HA!! You don't have a third of Johns creativity or intelligence. If John is so awful then get out of HIS company. Go start your own retail company if you're so smart and accomplished in retail. Build your own empire, GENIUS! One of the reviews said John keeps interfering, of course he does. Its HIS business your driving into the ground. Maybe you should stop interfering, did you ever think of that?

Make no mistake about it, Adrian was NOT brought into clean up after John. John found Adrian himself and thought he would be capable of running Arhaus, so John could step aside. Unfortunately, the joke is on John who is working more now than before Adrian.

Do you honestly think its not obvious who is writing these reviews? Bashing John and saying Adrian (current CEO) and our HR team are amazing? Nobody in the company will say anything positive about the HR team. Not to mention the current CEO is walking around sulking about glassdoor every day instead of leading the company. Screaming at the CPO to fix it. You are all so transparent.

To say John has a misguided group is cute. His group as you call it are the same people that helped him build this business that you currently work for. While none of them are perfect at least they have good intentions which is more than I can say for all the evil this 2.0 group has done.

Advice to Management

Grow up! You have no allies in this business aside from each other. We are all glad to have John back. Nobody knows HIS business like he does. So step aside and maybe you can learn something. Better yet, just step aside.

"Concierge"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston Heights, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston Heights, OH

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits -- that's about it. Normal pay.

Cons

Everything else. Lack of any real leadership. customer service is a joke. Constant excuses for delays. More work = no extra pay. Favorite system. Kelly should go back to jewelery. Utterly clueless. Basically a joke.

Advice to Management

John Reed stop treating employees like tissues. Take ownership and fire the people making the ship sink i.e... leadership or lack of.

"Enjoyable Workplace"

Current Employee - Web Sales in Boston Heights, OH
    Current Employee - Web Sales in Boston Heights, OH

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful design, quality merchandise, positive work environment, awesome management and coworkers.

Cons

I really can't think of one. My experience has been great so far!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing by being supportive and encouraging to your employees.

"Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Akron, OH

Pros

The product and coworkers are wonderful. It stops there.

Cons

The upper management and new regime are terrible and treat sales consultants like second class citizens

Advice to Management

Please get rid of the problems at the corporate level. Hire back the good people who have left. Hopefully we will get back to normal.

"Corporate office"

Current Employee - Manager in Hudson, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Hudson, OH

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It used to be achieving the monthly sales plan was a given...in fact, we used to speculate how much we would go over plan! Amazing how times have changed...today we will miss the January sales plan by millions! January was the 'Holy Grail" month--if we blew it away the year was a profitable year...and sales were amazing! If it was missed...all the ugly, dysfunctional behaviors would start...like non-stop discounting, unbelievable promotions that tanked margins...therefore profits were non-existing. From 2009 through 2013--we never missed the January sales plan...and those years finished with amazing results from achieving and exceeding the annual sales plan, to soaring margins, low turn-over and on and on...In 2014 and 2015 sales were soft...but in 2016--sales were literally destroyed and ironically no one cared...this year has begun to hit an all time low--and again, no one cares or even discusses it in great length!

Cons

So what changed? It all starts at the top! We have a CEO that has no idea on how to lead this business. He doesn't even understand this business. In one year February through this month/January--he has systematically destroyed all that was good about Arhaus.

Where do I begin...The enormous expansion of the corporate office staffing...people with no defined responsibilities. They whisper in offices, tattle on each other, make-up lies about past and current employees...and deflect on others to avoid being called out on what they are not doing to grow the business. This is just the start of what this CEO accomplished...

He's fired every top leader--there is no head of IT...no CFO...no CCO...lost countless experienced managers and directors...and the list goes on and on! He hired and expanded departments like HR, Customer Service, Marketing, etc. Yet--the biggest complaint from stores and our customers have...has to do with the lack of effort, service, and initiative these very expanded departments have achieved. Even with the loss of sales, profits, margin--he managed to created useless departments or teams such as, the concierge team, greeters in stores, store development team--all of these 'new' teams have added absolutely NO VALUE to the bottom-line.

Let's address the sales...in 2016 and now with the disastrous 2017 start--the company has never hit its monthly sales plan--no one single month! The large pool of multi-million dollar salespeople (that took years to develop) have been disrespected, ignored, and in his words, "they all need to go!" These tops selling people have accounted for 1/3-1/2 of the sales in individual stores. It doesn't take a MBA from Harvard to figure out their value. However...with his direction and the enormously huge HR Team--they've hired individuals from low-end retailers that would have NO comprehension of how to operate within a luxury brand such as Arhaus...and the sales show it.

Now starting in the most critical month of the year and to really stick it to the million dollar sellers--he decided to pay people on delivered sales. Anyone in the industry knows that all of the high-end furniture retailers all pay on written sales. Why? Because 50% of their sales consist of customized-special order product that takes months to delivered... His narrow-minded approach to this decision will affect all other departments within Arhaus. No more house calls. Salespeople will be more focused on selling 'stock' product because it can be delivered faster than special order product--so the product mix will change. The monthly sales plans will need to change because the last week or so of every month--sales people will not care who is walking in the door to buy...but rather...focused on calling customers to get orders on the trucks so they can get paid on delivery.

Know this...whether you pay on written or delivered--they net out the same--if you write an order and the customer cancels, refuses the product on delivery, returns the product--the salesperson will lose the commission. Same goes for delivery. If the Genius at the top would take the time to understand this business---he would also know that the focus of the salespeople will be to get orders on trucks instead of writing future orders with new customers walking in the store.

He operates like a two-faced tyrant--smiles all the time but has no one that will step to the plate to argue a point when he is absolutely insane to state. People are afraid. People are now operating with the mindset of protecting their jobs as oppose to doing their jobs! Say all you want about the chairman--but he loves the company, promoted people from within, and cared about so many. In a nutshell, he understands the business. You would have never found him directing his HR team (like the current CEO) to read people's emails, review phone texts, and humiliate top salespeople.

Advice to Management

I would like the investment group and the board of directors to compare 2012 & 2013 financial statements to 2016 and now 2017...and examine where all the deficits appear. There are numerous. Listen to the former owner and now chairman--he was at the helm those years...and he can explain how bad this past year and right now really is to Arhaus. If you do not move on this CEO there will be no Arhaus! It will only take a few more months--amazing what this one person can and will do to destroy this great company. I love Arhaus but I love the Arhaus that once was...way back...all the competitors where chasing us...now they are laughing... So sad.... So Sad...So Sad...

"It's a struggle"

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Arhaus Furniture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The product is fairly easy to sell. They have a commitment to sustainable practices. As a company, they listen to feedback from guests and employees and take it seriously enough to make changes. They are growing and changing and trying to adapt the culture and implement new technology.

Cons

The commission structure is so low, you cannot make a living wage. The managers are over-worked and can become hostile at times. The product, although beautiful and hand-made by artisans, often have key design flaws that deem them non-functional. The pos, ordering system and daily duty system is archaic at best. The incredible amounts of paper waste is almost immeasurable. The sales team is bogged down with hours of meaningless busy-work, micromanagement, and faxing in numbers, sales, and paperwork to corporate every night that can clearly be seen through the company's intranet. There are not enough computers to accomplish the work that is required for guest follow up and writing orders. It takes at least ten minutes just to write up a sale for a small take-with accessory.

Advice to Management

Continue with efforts to update technology. Provide a computer, phone and desk for each Design Consultant and manager on the floor so we can be more productive and time-efficient. Ensure that the wifi capabilities can support the implementation of ipads.