Aria Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Kathleen Kinslow

1. "Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Aria Health part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers. Patient safety is valued. Manager listens as long as people communicate.

Cons

Not much to say. It could be better if there's better communications to avoid confusion about roles and responsibilities between different shifts.

2. "Nice place to work"

Current Employee - Department Secretary in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Department Secretary in Phila, PA

Pros

always chance for advancement. Nice people. Good core values

Cons

NO cons for this company.

Advice to Management

NO advice to management at this time.

3. "Poor New Hire Training & Support"

Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Aria Health part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great experience with a few AMAZING nurses who have made a life long impact on my role as a nurse.
    - Some floors work well together as a team.
    - Some units offer flexible scheduling
    - Decent pay I thought (although long term nurses made it clear they were underpaid, and long past due for a raise)
    - Torresdale campus has a level 2 trauma center if that's your thing.
    - No parking fees
    - Lower rate city wage tax (Is that a plus? Lol)

Cons

- Poor employee morale through out hospital, my unit hated their direct manager. Never found out why. She was nice to me...I thought. - A RN manager in another department talked down about her own RN staff and student nurse aids in front of me. She said RN's c/o patient ratios of 1:7 on tele were unsafe. She said some were refusing to take 7 patients for the safety of their patients. She stated this was patient abandonment, and that they had to take that patient load or they could basically kiss their jobs goodbye or quit! She stated the student nurse aids were incompetent and she would only hire Drexel student nurses as RN's to her unit who were previously aids there. I'm actually surprised she admitted this to me, being a RN from another unit. This should have been my first warning to run from this place!!! - - My expereince: Being new to acute care in the hospital, I was offered a 6-9 week orientation which included a 1 week hospital orientation. From day one I was given a full assignment of 5-6 patients and treated as if I should know everything already. My preceptor was never around to ask questions, and forget about asking for help. If I had a question about something I literally had to hunt her down for 20 mins, and sometimes she wasn't even on the floor b/c she would leave without telling me. This lead to a lot of unanswered questions and did not help with my time management, being often too slammed to play hide and seek with my preceptor. I would usually ask another nurse my questions, most were very helpful. Throughout my orientation my preceptor praised me to my manager for taking a full patient load with little assistance. My preceptor signed all my orientation checklists showing I had passed each skill/milestone with competence. I thought I was doing well. The last two weeks of orientation I was switched to night shift. It was difficult to adjust in 2 weeks but I tried my best. Next time I spoke to my manager was a phone call to f/u about my last couple days of orientation and post-orientation work schedule. Instead I was terminated over the phone. Very rude and unprofessional in my opinion. I was told she felt I was "unsafe" to be let off orientation and "HR" would not extend my training period. She would not provide me with any concrete reason or examples to why I was unsafe or not a good fit for the position. I did not see this coming at all!!!! Talk about the shock of my life...my heart practically dropped out of my chest. I asked to be transferred to another unit that might be a better fit for me, she said that could not be accommodated b/c it would take several weeks to train me on another unit and the "hospital refused to pay for additional training." I'm not stupid, I was approching my 90 days and they acted on that I'm sure. Aria failed to support and train me in my new nursing role, and when they thought I needed more training they refused and terminated me instead. If this is the company you want to work for, go right ahead. You have been warned.

***Side note: I later got another hospital position and I had an amazing orientation. I always felt well supported, guided and updated by the nursing educators/preceptors my whole orientation and given honest feedback about my weaknesses and strengths so I could work towards proficiency! I never encountered any problems at my new hospital job and always felt valued for my contribution to the hospital as a staff RN (and still do)! It was literally a night and day difference in the type of training and treatment I received. So before you think I must have been a horrible incompetent nurse at Aria, know that I had no problems being successful at my next hospital job. The amount of support and respect I receive at my current job has been what has kept me here and what will keep me from leaving for a long time. Plus they have better staffing and pay me a fair market rate. That is what it takes for nurse retention if you were wondering.

Advice to Management

- In your oversight to not value a hard worker who perhaps needed a little extra training due to a poor and neglectful orientation, you missed out on retaining a fabulous employee that is dedicated, empathetic and willing to go above and beyond in patient care everyday!
    - Perhaps have nurse educators who are not involved in unit politics, ask your new hires if their orientation and preceptor arrangement is meeting their needs several times through out their orientation. Make it clear that it's ok to ask for a new preceptor if the one they have isn't a good fit. If their orientation isn't meeting their needs try to find solutions early on, not deem them a lost cause and terminate them.
    - Be more careful with your preceptor selection. The one I had volunteered but obviously for all the wrong reasons.
    - Your managers need some classes on being good leaders and increasing team unity and morale! Since when is it ok to bad mouth your employees to another employee about their peers? How about never. A great leader is one that leads by example, not one that demands orders and rules be upheld! Watch some TEDtalks and get a clue middle management! RN managers don't forget where you came from!!! Bedside nursing is ridiculously hard work, mentally and physically. There is a reason you got out of bedside nursing and don't you forget that for one minute where you came from. Listen to your staff nurses.....they are the heart and soul of healthcare.
    - Hoping that Jefferson came in and made some much needed upper management and culture changes. However it's doubtful considering how poor the morale was when I left.
    - Did I mention already that you really missed out on an AWESOME employee that instead you screwed over? Just making sure we are clear on that point. Deuces

5. "Community first"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant/Security Secretary in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Aria Health (More than 3 years)

Pros

All ways working on what they can do to make things better for the patients and the community.
    the loyalty to the Community is impressive.

Cons

Not so loyal to it's employees.

Advice to Management

Let your employees know they are of value.

6. "Registered Nurse"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Let's you take time off without backlash. Easygoing company.

Cons

Salary could be better but have days where you go in and doctor isn't there.

7. "Unhappy employee"

Current Employee - Clerical in Langhorne, PA
    Current Employee - Clerical in Langhorne, PA

I have been working at Aria Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always hiring and co workers are generally very nice

Cons

Administration does not treat employees well not do they pay well

Advice to Management

Be grateful to those who are loyal to your company

8. "Work"

Current Employee - Lead Medical Assistant in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Lead Medical Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Aria Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Doing what you love to do

Cons

Balance of work and life

Advice to Management

you need to prove yourself

9. "Medical Assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Langhorne, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Langhorne, PA

Pros

Good opportunity room to grow

Cons

I haven't come across anything bad about this company yet.

Advice to Management

Lots of potential

10. "RN"

Current Employee - ICU RN in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - ICU RN in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Aria Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay. Great bennifits. Unlimited overtime

Cons

Upper managment disconnected from lower level staff

Advice to Management

Become more integrated with the majority of employees

11. "Cna"

Current Employee - CNA in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - CNA in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Very caring nurses and doctors that care about the patient and the aids work well together to give the best care.

Cons

WorkING short need to be more organized

Advice to Management

Hire more aids