Aria Systems Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"On the up swing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- Momentum: Very big Q3, large deals with huge accounts closed. Great prospects in the works.
    - ERP-type stickiness....once big companies deploy, the solution is sticky and stays.
    - Solution can deal with even the most complex scenarios and use cases.
    - Good culture, decent company trying to do the best for the prospects and customers. Prefer to say NO to prospects that are not a good fit.

Cons

- Work-life balance is precarious as the opportunity is huge and the resources constrained.
    - 2 large offices in opposite sides of the country.

Advice to Management

Continue focus on enterprise market, it is paying off big time.

"Hot Market"

I worked at Aria Systems full-time

Pros

True SaaS company and product. The market space is growing and the product handles the complexities inherent in enterprise companies. Opportunities for advancement and career growth.

Cons

Typical growing pains of a company at this stage.

3. "Professional Services"

I worked at Aria Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good culture and great team. People try to help each other out to get the job done.

Cons

Immature product, way to complex to configure and in most of the cases it does not support client's needs. Most of the client's have very complex business needs which platform does not support. PS team is struggling to find viable workaround, which make implementation go longer and makes client's unhappy.

Advice to Management

Need to go after the customer's that Product can support. Product is not ready to handle B2B contract permutations.

"Avoid at all cost"

I worked at Aria Systems full-time

Pros

The management team seemed to WANT to success but were far from savvy or smart enough to achieve the kind of "disruption" they desired.

The free snacks and drinks were a plus, as were the free lunches and occasional breakfasts.

They had no problem flying anyone at any level to and from either office, so if you always to travel for business with no business reason, there ya go.

Salaries were more than competitive.

Most, if not all, of the non-management employees were aware of the working conditions and were more than willing to help anyone out that needed it.

Cons

Truly abysmal engineering practices and standards. If you're considering joining Aria Systems in the Engineering group and think your current dev team is bad, this is worse than anything you can imagine.

Think multiple patches to production environments per WEEK. Constant world ending defects. Never ending "drop everything for this client that hasn't paid us a dime yet" emails that totally derail a dev team. Upper management having way too much influence in day to day operations with no real understanding of what it takes to produce functional code. Truly massive requirement documents with months of work that need to be competed in just a few weeks. Pivots. CONSTANT product pivots and directional changes every few months. How are you supposed to feel when your CEO is talking about reinventing your product when you're still working on last quarter's product pivot?

Just stay away. It's not worth it.

Advice to Management

I don't know, resign I guess?

"Going down hill ... FAST"

I have been working at Aria Systems full-time

Pros

Nothing. We used to have free lunches and a snack bar but they have either been eliminated or cut back

Cons

- Benefits aren't great, no raises this year.
    - Multiple members from senior management left around the same time as layoffs were announced. They say it's a coincidence but you really expect people to believe that?

- Morale is low so the company is doing everything they can (guest speaker from one investment firm) to calm people's fears. Truth of the matter is we're not closing sales. Our target market is very narrow, we can't compete with the bigger companies.

- EVERY townhall meeting we have starts with the CEO saying "we're on to big things." We've been waiting years NOT months.

Advice to Management

Better start rethinking what we're doing. How many more bad quarters before you realize we're going after the wrong target market.

"More of a "catch-up" than a "start-up""

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Aria Systems (More than a year)

Pros

- Good process controls that seem to work most of the time, which make some things flow smoothly
    - Lots of snacks
    - Well-stocked bar
    - Free lunch on Wednesdays, and the food is good
    - Great location near public transit, restaurants, shops

Cons

- Bureaucratic and slow-moving; not the "dynamic, fast-moving start-up" they claim to be. Trying to be cautious / conservative, but ends up costing because it takes too long to realize they're going the wrong direction.
    - "Us vs. Them" mentality between PA and CA offices
    - Some groups think their role is to say "NO" instead of helping find ways to get to "YES"
    - Very strict job descriptions that lead to a lot of "That's not my job" and "I'm not allowed to do that."
    - Tolerance for people that clearly don't know what they're doing but are allowed to keep trying despite inability to deliver results.
    - Management tries to "spin" issues in ways that any semi-intelligent child could see through, for example, as mentioned in an earlier review, the CEO is always saying "We're in a different space than <competitor> (who is half our age and eating our lunch)" and then proceeds to compare ourselves with them constantly, and trumpet "wins" against this competitor, and "We're going after enterprise deals" (and then can't close them).

Advice to Management

I have no idea how to fix this dysfunction. Maybe a new CEO.

"Good people, lots of alcohol to drink and food to eat"

I worked at Aria Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy hours and lots of work all at the same time benefits are decent but no 401k matching Decent funding for an older startup

Cons

Management doesn't listen and doesn't want to hear anything that may go against the grain even when brain storming Management doesn't see the value of one on ones with employees and the lack of communication makes it difficult to work in this environment

Advice to Management

Learn to be good managers rather than managers that yell when someone does something wrong

"The one and only review you should read"

Pros

Free lunch Wednesday? Snack shelf?

Cons

Let me start off by saying this company spends too much money on useless things. They fly managers, directors and VPs across country to attend dinner events or outings. When there are special events like team dinners, other employees not part of the team are invited, thus resulting in a large dinner tab. Again, lots of money spent on entertainment rather than rewarding your hard working employees with raises and or GOOD bonuses.

Like some of the other reviews have stated, some managers are incapable of doing their job. All it takes is constant whining and lack of progress. It's the only company I know of that rewards people for not doing enough. Some groups have 2-3 people on the team, but reality is the amount of work to be done could be performed by 1-2 people if they chose to actually work and not talk all day.

Let's talk about the identity crisis. Management does a "great" job of telling people that the company is an enterprise level company. Truth of the matter is, the company spends A LOT of time bashing its closest competitor. The company has a hard time getting into deals with larger companies, so they end up closing deals with smaller companies. So which is it Mr CEO? I thought the deal size we wanted was bigger, yet we're settling for smaller deals because we can't close the larger deals. AND, the deals with the larger companies are TINY when you look at the overall deal. Signing a deal w/ a large telecom company is great BUT what you're not considering is that said company is using your technology for a small product in their portfolio. The company is not switching their entire billing system over to Aria. There's a huge misconception with these large size deals.

During one all hands meeting it was said that the company doesn't compete in the same market as their closest competitor. Then why is it that new clients the company signs up are always stated with "We took this away from [insert competitor's name]." It's like they're super jealous of the competitor and every chance they get to take a jab at the company is well worth the effort.

Now let's talk about how unrealistic this company can be. Client facing employees are so afraid of telling the customers no. Lots of overpromising with unrealistic goals. The company is so afraid of losing the customer during the implementation phase that they will do whatever it takes to make sure the project succeeds. It doesn't matter if the changes to the codebase will affect other customers, it's all about pleasing whoever is up to bat.

After all, every email that goes out to all employees to announce a new client is always stated with "Great logo for the website." Yep, the company bases it's success and hopes of reeling in new customers by putting fancy logos on their website.

Advice to Management

Stop forcing employees to drink the kool-aid. Stop flip flopping on the things you tell your employees. Stop bashing your competitor and telling your employees they're not a threat because you're focusing on a specific target market. Just stop lying.

"Great company overall"

I worked at Aria Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My time at Aria was exciting. It is a great company overall with many options for employee advancement. The company has a lot of great people that work hard to have a great product.

Cons

Some managers are not deserving of their positions. There were some that excelled at what they did and were well respected, but many managers were just incapable of leading a team.

Advice to Management

Value those working under you. Employees reach higher heights while working for great leaders.

"Good team"

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Broomall, PA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Broomall, PA

I worked at Aria Systems full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good professional team. I learned a lot there. Free lunches.

Cons

Work-life balance is not good.
    Too much micromanagement