Arista Networks Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Arista Networks President and CEO Jayshree Ullal
Jayshree Ullal

Pros
Cons
  • Pretty steep learning curve and hard to make progress the first few weeks (in 9 reviews)

• Managers and Directors in Bangalore office lack leadership (in 7 reviews)

"Arista is the best place I've ever worked..."

Current Employee - Sales Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Arista Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'm in Sales and feel completely empowered by Arista management to help customers succeed. I'm the CEO of my region and I know Jayshree would support me making such a statement to customers and colleagues when the goal is achieving customer success.

The other thing about Arista is working with Andy Bechtolsheim and Ken Duda. I'll never play ball with Michael Jordan or golf with Rory McIlroy, but when it comes time to work, I'm glad to be on the same team as these networking rock stars.

Cons

None. Arista is the best place I've ever worked.

"Not as good as it claims"

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Arista Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

free snack in kitchen; flexible work schedule

Cons

very bad benefit; low pay; the management is not transparent;

3. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Software in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Software in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Arista Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, smart people, and a strong emphasis on doing things the right way.

Cons

Health benefits, immigration related processing, etc needs to be upgraded.

Advice to Management

While the company is seeing tremendous growth with engineering and product development, there has be an equivalent expansion/investment in HR and other departments to make sure employees are properly taken care of.

"A Culture of Winning and Helping Customers Succeed Like No Other"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Arista Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of companies try, and sometimes succeed, in going all out for their customers some day. But at Arista, it's everyday. Winning, helping and succeeding through referrals, word of mouth and tons and tons of public success. forget about the employees along the way, or don't fully execute on helping customers. Led by an outstandingly personal, experienced and very intelligent CEO, Jayshree Ullal, we're winning everywhere and with new heights of internal and customer success. More importantly, the culture of winning through customer loyalty is built upon layers and layers of doing things the Arista way. Everyday.

Cons

Not a place for entitled thinkers. You have limitless opportunity to earn your place everyday and will have to do your job better to stay and succeed.

Advice to Management

Keep finding new ways to stay five years ahead of the competition!

"Arista IT is weird place to work productively"

Former Employee - IT Lead in Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - IT Lead in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Arista Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- US Office kitchen fully stacked with good choice of balanced snacks.
    - But India office is stacked with unhealthy snacks, except limited quantity fruits, chai point isn't great either.
    - One may feel proud working for a company cofounded or funded by some known valley serial entrepreneurs-leaders.

Cons

There's no clear vision nor a road map, rather it's all ad-hoc driven, highly interrupted work culture with surprising frequent priority changes, zero encouragement.Hence learning path could easily stagnate.

It's a partiality based on selective team members input-agenda driven, hence it's biased. As all projects, events, meetings, talks, chit-chats, etc, etc everything via some favorite personals.Hence rest of team is sidelined-ignored, not encouraged and dis allowed to grow to do things differently.

Micro management style is adapted with ""Eye of Mordor" watching over your shoulders and relies on politics/red tape to drive or enforce stuff to get things done.

Performance measurement scale is skewed.Productivity is calculated via weird ways.Heavily relies on multiple meetings with repetitive discussions-statuses checks.Work-life balance is imbalanced.Be prepared to drive into work and dial into many day-nightly meetings.

Least concerned about IT Ops.
    Hence nobody listens or cares.There is no potential for personal or professional growth.

Advice to Management

Encourage and allow open feedback policy-discussion, open door policy doesn't mean it's honestly being practiced.

7. "Software Engineering Internship"

I worked at Arista Networks full-time

Pros

-You get to work with a small software engineering team and develop software that makes a difference and gets used, even as an intern
    -Intern program is well organized, good mentor pairing system, "caretaker" pairing, good intern events

Cons

-Pretty steep learning curve and hard to make progress the first few weeks. I would recommend taking a networking class before interning with a routing or switching team, it definitely helps.

Advice to Management

Perhaps pushing for having interns do at least one paired project with another intern would help. Not all of the projects have to be that way, but having one of these to start before I jump in on my own would have eased the learning curve a bit.

"Horrific experience"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Arista Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The products are fantastic and I imagine is a good employment experience only if you work at headquarters in Santa Clara, CA.

Cons

Worked there pre-IPO through IPO and most of team was hoping someone was going to just purchase Arista. I remember I had to to a barter trade with another rep to secure product because inventory was run reactively and thin to keep costs WAY down.

Immature mgmt chain that had never managed others before and were all 'playing coaches'. I bring this up for two reasons: 1. I believe those roles NEVER work; 2. They don't ever take time to learn how to develop to be a better manager and therefore a leader for the team.

'Get to your number by any means necessary' was the constant mantra from my direct and skip level mgmt. this style went all the way up to CEO. Had one dialog with a top Sales executive (recently departed) that he showcased an employee as the pinnacle of hard work and the kind of team player he expected where the employee had a heart attack and day 2 in the hospital was on customer calls from hospital bed. Another top top executive told a story of an employee that had spoken up about low pay and horrible benefits and how they called that person fat and greedy (the statement was that this employee shouldn't need a car, but should ride a bike to work and should skip lunch therefore saving $.

I could go on and on but I would recommend you really speak to current employees before you progress in discussions of employment.

Advice to Management

Be ethical. Train your managers to be leaders.

9. "SE"

Pros

Great team, Smart people to work with, Great exposure, Best products

Cons

No office!
    Takes long to communicate to and fro HQ

"Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Pros

You get to work with the brightest and the best
    Management is always ready to listen and any effort to improve the software infrastructure is highly appreciated.
    Lots of freedom to work on different projects

Cons

I can't think of anything right now. If you want free food and games join google.
    If you want to work on really cool projects and have the drive to lead one of them, this is the place to join.

Advice to Management

I really liked the fact that upper management is always ready to listen to its employees and every now and then they repeat this, that come talk to us if you have anything to say, specially Ken.

11. "Internship"

Pros

Good pay and interesting work.

Cons

I felt that I was poorly managed and my mentor was unhelpful.

Advice to Management

Improve the mentorship program.