Aristocrat Technologies Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Aristocrat Technologies CEO & Managing Director Trevor Croker
Trevor Croker

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Having said that, company is having an amazing insurance plan for employees, good timings, helps in maintaining work-life balance quite well" (in 59 reviews)

• "Good pay and benefits about average for Las Vegas" (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Very Well Run Company with Fixable Issues"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Aristocrat Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I recently started working here, and so far everything from interview process to on-boarding and orientation has been phenomenal. It is as well-oiled a machine as you can expect given the complexities of a company its size. The compensation is extremely competitive and the benefits start day 1 (health/401K/FSA/etc.). It is not a micromanaged environment, and generally you are able to move at your own pace (especially if you're accustomed to moving at a faster pace than everyone else). The long term employees are extremely helpful with sharing their institutional knowledge with you.

Cons

Some growing pains that are easily solvable. The biggest con is the time zone difference between Las Vegas and Australia, but there are strategies around it. Some other issues are that the company is growing, and with that come growing pains (outgrowing offices, new building migration, etc.).

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing (I know this is usually an "insider" posting, but I have not been told by anyone to post this).

2. "Good company."

Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Aristocrat Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay traveling is great too

Cons

Hard to move up internally. A little political.

3. "Diverse Gaming Company"

Current Employee - Senior Director Software Development
    Current Employee - Senior Director Software Development

I have been working at Aristocrat Technologies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Aristocrat is a global company with teams all over the world making all types of games and supporting technologies. The work force is diverse with a broad range of professional experience and cultural backgrounds. Aristocrat has purchased four large companies in the last five years and integrated the teams and products enabling new technology and product opportunities to employees.

Cons

The rapid growth of the business and the addition of multiple companies has created a large number of overlapping teams and technologies. The overlap creates confusion and uncertainty across the organization due to a lack of clear communications across similar job functions (regardless of the original company). The infrastructure to support a global company is lacking and many basic needs are difficult to get met in a timely manner.

Advice to Management

Invest in infrastructure and cross product teams to reduce friction and allow product teams to focus on delivery.

"DIFFICULT YEAR CULTURE CHANGING DISTRUST AND NERVOUS EMPLOYEES"

Current Employee - Engineer in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Engineer in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Aristocrat Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company is in a nice location of Las Vegas and there are a lot of great people here.

Cons

There have been layoffs recently with rumors that more are coming. Also, there have been issues with the culture changing for the worse and distrust cropping up among the teams. The climate is political and survival may depend on licking the right boot. The vision is not clear for those of us on our team. New hires have damaged the culture. Communication and trust has been eroded by senior people who are not culture fits who have gravitated toward personal favorites at the cost of team and overall organization.

Advice to Management

Weed out people who are not culture fits for the organization. This was always the best part of Aristocrat. Things change fast. Also pay attention to eroding trust and other issues that may cause great people to leave and bad ones to take over.

5. "Dont waste your time"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Aristocrat Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

office in Prime location

Cons

Bad Management
    Not much career opportunities
    They don't work on latest technologies.
    Most of the people in management (engineering) are not from software background. So they are clueless about how to run software projects.

"Open Office"

I have been working at Aristocrat Technologies full-time

Pros

Nice location if you live on West side of Las Vegas. Market leader. Cheap cafeteria food but after a couple of days it loses its appeal.

Cons

The new building is an "open office" (no offices, no cubicles) which I thought everyone knew was debunked as an effective way to design a modern office space. The problem with the open office concept is noticeable as soon as you walk in - you will mostly see people with headphones on trying to tune out the noise and staring at their screen trying to look busy because everyone can see them. The lack of privacy prompts others to work from home when they can. And the sense of being in a fishbowl means many choose email over a desk-side chat. The open office concept is also a very subtle form of sexism. The feeling that someone is watching me, checking in on me all the time, constantly judging me .. you can see how this can devolve into harassment pretty easily. a tyranny of interruption, distraction, and stress. The quality of my work has suffered immensely since the move to this new office and so has my mental wellbeing. I feel quite comfortable stating that I would never have been able to create any of my games, software or creative achievements in such an environment. We’re squandering human health and potential on an epic scale by forcing the vast majority of people who dislike or hate the open office into that configuration. Their work deteriorates, their job satisfaction declines. And for what? Because a minority of people (many of whom are not in the office that much ironically) kinda like that configuration? Because it’ll look good in a few photos? Because it’ll impress strangers who visit the office? The main supposed benefit to the open office, that it increases productivity, has been completely debunked. The majority of workers hate the open office concept. Nearly all creatives do. So why have it?

The other con: the company is currently in cost cutting mode and forcing good employees to work even harder than they normally do (which is hard to begin with), many are doing 2-3-4 jobs (with no salary increase of course). I dont care who you are, it's not possible to do multiple full time jobs simultaneously well.

Advice to Management

Go back to offices and private work spaces before your best people leave.

7. "I worked at Aristocrat Technologies full-time for more than 2 years"

I worked at Aristocrat Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture, Products, Benefits, Management, Campus, Great food

Cons

A lot of politics, less learning opportunity.
    Hire and Fire policies

"Depends on your department and location"

Current Employee - Not Specified in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Not Specified in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Aristocrat Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

excellent benefits, PTO, Sumerlin Building is beautiful, Subsidized lunches and baristas, lots of room , new furniture

Cons

Different departments get treated differently. Some departments appear fun and exciting, many departments are run by incompetent managers and are in fact soul crushing places. Open office system is...problematic. Rush to grow followed by big expenditures on the new building... and now they are talking about cuts. HR doesn't seem to care about systemic issues.

Advice to Management

Look, you've already hired the wrong people. Not sure there is anything you can do to fix the culture despite what you plaster all over the buildings and cheer at every rah rah meeting. When the culture is rotten from the inside and people don't like to come to work, no amount of free food or winnings ways is going to help you.

"Don't waste your talents on this company."

Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in Franklin, TN
    Former Employee - Hardware Engineer in Franklin, TN

I worked at Aristocrat Technologies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free Lunch
    High Pay (Can be a Con)

Cons

Poor Management Direction
    Company has no long term plan
    Product road is non-existent
    Management Lies to Employees
    Company Values are not reflected by management.

Advice to Management

Get your act together, you work in an industry that makes such high margins it could be run by high school drop outs. Make a plan and work the plan stop flying by the seat of your paints.

"Not for everyone."

Pros

The place has a good work life balance, except there is a big atmosphere revolving around proving yourself if you don't have experience. However proving yourself doesnt mean trying to improve the company yourself or showing what you can do, instead it means staying quiet until you are noticed.

Cons

Deceptive management. You have to be a gambler or else you wont be taken seriously.

Advice to Management

Hitting your computer doesnt make it go fastet.