Aritzia Reviews | Glassdoor

Aritzia CEO Brian Hill
Brian Hill

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Difficult to keep work-life-balance depending on store management (in 56 reviews)

• Extremely tense atmosphere among sales associates (in 41 reviews)

1. "Cash Desk Manager"

Former Employee - Cash Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Cash Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Aritzia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to begin a carer in sales and management. So much room to grow with a fantastic staff.

Cons

No consequences to be mentioned, just wish there were more stores like this around the states.

2. "Very put together company"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Century City, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Century City, CA

I worked at Aritzia part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive, direct offering to discuss promotional opportunities
    Company is very thorough with operations

Cons

Sales goals are far too high
    Too many managers watching your every step, its very stressful/uncomfortable

3. "Fitting Room Seller"

I have been working at Aritzia full-time

Pros

Great team, learning environment, good days are great ones

Cons

Competitive environment sometimes takes away from the idea of “we are a team”

Advice to Management

Try to promote more within the company instead of outsourcing to higher roles

4. "Inventory Associate"

I have been working at Aritzia full-time

Pros

Work with passionate, hardworking women

Cons

Schedule can be inconsistent sometimes

5. "Part Time Sales Associate / Cash Desk Operations"

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in New York, NY

I worked at Aritzia part-time (More than a year)

Pros

High hourly pay
    Potential to make commission

Cons

Competitive between sales associates depending on store

"Sales Associate"

I worked at Aritzia part-time

Pros

Clothing discount, some fun co-workers, upbeat environment, young and hip staff

Cons

Too competitive for retail especially when you don't receive commission
    Favoritism and absolute immunity for those with highest sales, meaning they can do whatever to whoever they want with no repercussions...
    Can work for more than 12 days in a row, only to have 1 day off and then return to 7 days straight of 9 hour shifts
    You won't be able to take your break for the full time you are legally allowed to
    No commission even though you will be bullied if you don't reach your goal
    Very catty and immature girls who will sometimes steal your sales
    People forget that it is retail, and it is supposed to be fun! Were selling clothes not houses!!
    Schedule comes out very last minute, so good luck making plans more than a few days in advance

Advice to Management

Relax. The pressure and hostility amongst the staff is felt by the customers and does not translate to a positive experience.
    Also, don't micromanage. No one enjoys that.

7. "Great Job for anyone who likes to be given cookies and a pat on the head."

Current Employee - Style Advisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Style Advisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Aritzia part-time

Pros

I will share pros in the context of a personality that will most likely thrive here.
    -Admittedly, you like to gossip. You like to spill tea.
    -You like competition.
    -You like to grind and a fast-paced environment is your forte.
    -You have no problem with confrontation and asserting your pov.
    -You can keep a straight face, or a certain persona around customers, even if they're asking for the most and are just annoying as hell.
    -Great job if you are into styling, or going to any fashion business school in NYC.
    -If you stick with it, *great brenefits*, compared to other retail franchises.
    -I put five stars because you have options for different careers in the store. Of course, it's based on need. That's the reality. But if you are a stylist and want to remain in the career path of styling here, you get good opportunity openings.

Cons

I don't know, it's a little odd to want to work at a store that is dramatic, has their own sales team crying and pressured to reach numbers, getting called out for attitude problems, and having to reach store goals just so corporate gives the hours. If you want to truly understand routined lifestyle work, this store will blow it in your face. There is a strong hierarchy, and these girls don't play. Your first week, they'll help you. After that, if there is the simplest discrepancy, as in they think you're taking their sale, they'll fight you for it.
    It will be obvious: some people get paid more than you, even though they do less. You get promoted based on how much you can keep up a particular sales per hour rate for a whole season (this is for style advisors). And of course, to do so, some people become animals. Others, can integrate themselves and those requirements.
    -Customers are viewed in a framework of ownership. You own her, she owns her, therefore do not talk or touch, if you do, I'm still taking the sale.
    -Hours are dependent on SPH. SPH minimum is 350, just in case anyone is curious. You get weekly reports. And oh my god haha there are colors for these damn lines. Red, yellow, and green. By the way, anyone can see them, because they paste them in the break room (my store at least).

Try it out if you want to. See if you think it's something you can handle. Like I said, some people thrive off of this work. If you like the feeling of getting a cookie every time you reach a number, go ahead. I mean, I don't know why. You should be giving yourself those cookies, not no company. But you do you.
    * I gave culture & values a 2, because while their presentation of such is chiseled and sparkly, there is a huge gap in the actual performance of such values. However, at the end of the day, everyone's trying to survive amongst the increase of living expenses in NYC. So people may sacrifice these values just to get the hours and the pay. So they might not care about your feelings at all. This job made me realize how I like to experience myself. And let me tell you, I am not fond of experiencing myself like that, seeing customers like objects and being stressed out.

Advice to Management

Not much. I respect my management team, only because their pressures made them do what they did. No hard feelings. At the end of the day, they are at risk of getting fired/demoted just as much as anyone else, just with different rules & pay. They are under someone as well.
    Don't blame anybody if you hate working here. Just ask yourself if any of this is worth it, and if it's not, quit and move on.

However, despite all of these circumstances, I will shout out my team, only because when the moments called for it, I had a lot of fun and support.

8. "Not Worth It"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Aritzia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay
    Commission
    Potential to move up

Cons

Pits Female workers against each other
    Not straightforward with expectations
    Overly competitive between coworkers

Advice to Management

Lied in interview about job details, lied about starting pay, paper worked filed completely wrong multiple times.

9. "Stay away!"

I worked at Aritzia full-time

Pros

Clothing discount, clothing is expensive to begin with though.

Cons

Promotes an aggressive, catty environment, nasty attitudes all around. When you are new the other sales girls steal your sales if you ask for help. Not impressed at all with the way they do business. The manager I had was also a micromanager, just following new people around and constantly watching them. Immediately after any interaction she would interrogate them on how it went and how to do better. It all seemed over the top and stressful. Also when you start they strongly encourage you wear there clothes, meaning you must buy a new wardrobe before you work, and even after dropping big bucks on "work clothes" they will still cut you immediately if you arent an amazing sales person. So they make sure the employees invest in them with little effort given back.

Advice to Management

Train better, create a better environment, and invest in your employees the same way they are expected to invest in the job.

10. "sales associate"

Former Employee - Assistant to VIP Stylist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant to VIP Stylist in New York, NY

I worked at Aritzia part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

staff is friendly, comfortable work environment

Cons

occasionally understaffed, difficult to grow within company