Aritzia Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Brian Hill

Pros
  • obviously a great discount on clothes (in 17 reviews)

• Great working environment, good discount of clothing, and liked my coworkers (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance isn't the best especially around Christmas time - typical for retail (in 38 reviews)

• Sales associates fight with each other to 'dibs' customers coming into the store (in 30 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Growing and Successful"

Current Employee - Support Office in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Support Office in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Pros

Opportunities to learn and grow - philosophy around remuneration is that training, education and experience (exposure in other areas) is all part of the package. Company makes an effort to support your career path and even creates positions that may not exist. This helps to keep people motivated and engaged. Company values performance so they go out of their way to ensure that great people are recognized and rewarded. You are treated as an individual. The company cares about results - not about what time you clock in/out so they empower you to get the joy done. Thus providing flexibility with where and when you complete your work.
    It is Inspiring to work with so many smart, talented and passionate people!

Cons

The expectations are high - and many work long hours. (Is that because of the company demands or because of the hard working, passionate individuals that make the company a success?) It is a growing fast-paced business - with remote offices (New York, Toronto and Calgary) so staying connected with everyone is an ongoing challenge. Though they implemented an engagement survey and are working towards improving this area and have seen results already...

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on providing leadership training and recognizing and rewarding based on performance. Keep up the efforts to unite the people and share the success as we continue to grow.

2. "part time sales associate"

I worked at Aritzia part-time

Pros

community, great employee discount, client relationships

Cons

fast paced, competitive, dramatic collegues

"Don't do it."

Former Employee - Shipper/Receiver in Garden City, NY
    Former Employee - Shipper/Receiver in Garden City, NY

Pros

- the pay is good

Cons

-no communication
    -schedule comes out day before week
    -rude to employees
    -FAKE

Advice to Management

Be kinder to your employees. I've never been so miserable at a job and it was because you treated me like garbage.

5. "Great for retail"

I worked at Aritzia full-time

Pros

The pay potential is pretty great and it's not based upon years of service but based upon your performance. If you are sales driven its great.

Cons

It's a big corporate company and you definitely feel that in everything. Lots of scrutiny and opinions floating around.

"ASM"

I worked at Aritzia full-time

Pros

Good clothing discount, good learning experience in people development and sales management

Cons

Little to no growth past the store level. Little investment from regional/district managers if you're not a top performing store. Scheduling based on individual sales performance, even for managers. They prioritize style over smarts and reward petty, selfish behavior among sales associates.

"Where Do I Even Begin."

I worked at Aritzia full-time

Pros

There is a 20 word minimum so I suppose the only pro is that I got extremely lucky in the sense that MOST (definitely not all) of the other SA's in my store were really nice girls. This made working here tolerable. The clothes are nice and the discount is good.

Cons

There are so many cons I have to use bullet points to keep myself organized.

- Do not expect this to be a full time job. They say that in the beginning they will max you out on hours so that you have a fighting chance against the more seasoned SA's to get your SPH up. This is a boldface lie and when I inquired about the recruiter telling me this the regional director acted as if she had no idea what I was talking about.

- You will, at some point, receive 9 hours or less a week. Even if you were hired as "full time". They expect you to be able to pay your bills and survive on this. It is insane. Do not expect to be full time, I promise you.

- Some SA's will receive special treatment. You will be told that there are no set hours or set schedules and that it will vary week to week based on needs of the business, and then some SA's will receive the same set hours every week.

- Expect to feel really bad about selling people clothes they didn't ask for. One of Aritzia's selling methods is to add a bunch of stuff on to their fitting room. Even when people didn't ask for help or give any inclination that they were interested. So awkward.

- The managers expect you to physically RUN around the store. RUN UP TO THE CUSTOMERS WITH NOTHING IN THEIR HANDS AND HARASS THEM.

- Virtually impossible to get a hold of HR and they never return your calls or emails.

- Had issues with my benefits for MONTHS on end.

- Work here if you are in high school and have no life, don't play any sports, and want to waste your youth at Aritzia. DO NOT WORK HERE if you are an adult with bills, family, a life, responsibilites.....It just doesn't work.

Advice to Management

You need to step down from your high horse. At the end of the day, you create a toxic work environment. You put unnecessary stress on your employees because we feel like we have to fight for our jobs. You preach all of these values to work together as a team, but how can you work as a team when you're fighting for your livelihood?

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

some of the people are very nice, and of course the discount helps a lot. there are opportunities to switch between different store locations

Cons

Management was horrible, they are very fake to you. Majority of the sales team are extremely rude and make working their uncomfortable.

Advice to Management

at least pretend like you care about your employees. and respond to emails. they need more charismatic managers who make coming to work enjoyable.

"salesperson"

I worked at Aritzia (More than a year)

Pros

good atmosphere, people are fun to work with. nice locations in midtown and soho so it's easy to get to and hours are decent

Cons

overbearing managers who complain about minor matters like dress and attitude. poor pay structure and inflexibility with respect to time off. difficult to communicate grievances

"Style Advisor"

I have been working at Aritzia part-time

Pros

Meet great people, managers are understanding about your life.

Cons

SALES PER HOUR GOALS, competition between staff, stealing of sales, awkward hours, expected to do so much

Advice to Management

Change the sales per hour goals and competition among staff to reduce pressure

"Style specialist"

Pros

Pretty good discount. Fun music/atmosphere. Usually doesn't get boring. Talking to people/meeting different people

Cons

Stressful especially in the beginning. Schedules weekly so hard to plan. Feel bad for people who can't make the minimum hourly because they get treated like crap

Advice to Management

Put more training into low performers instead of just cycling through them.