Aritzia Reviews | Glassdoor

Aritzia CEO Brian Hill
Brian Hill

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "You will need a strong ability to manage your work / life balance" (in 59 reviews)

• "Competitive between sales associates depending on store" (in 41 reviews)

1. "ARITZIA"

I worked at Aritzia part-time

Pros

They had a good discount

Cons

There was a very competitive atmosphere

2. "Unhealthy competitive environment due to systematic issues"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Aritzia part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay was alright, and it seemed like there is opportunity to be quite nicely paid. Their employee turnover is pretty low, so obviously they're doing something to keep people on that long.

Cons

This company produces an unhealthy competitive environment for making sales that is also a bad experience for customers. As a former customer, I always hated how aggressive the salespeople were to get me into a dressing room. As an employee, I found out this is because your number of hours is determined by your sales numbers and can vary wildly depending on how you do the week before. This creates an aggressive environment where employees are fighting over customers so they can get enough hours to make ends meat. This is a systematic problem that needs to change.

3. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at Aritzia full-time

Pros

40% discount
    Room for Growth

Cons

Management and Team Development needs work

4. "Terribly Judgmental and Uncomfortable atmosphere"

Current Employee - Style Advisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Style Advisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Aritzia part-time

Pros

high pay, discount is good

Cons

rude and unresponsive managers, you will not be scheduled unless you are top seller, no one will tell you if you are doing something wrong, but they will treat you as if you are incompetent, expectations are unreal

5. "Nice people, poor structure"

Pros

The people are nice and hardworking, good pay, nice clothes. Discount is 40% which is nice, 50% off every brand twice a year.

Cons

In comparison to my other retails jobs, being a “style advisor” at Aritzia (a salesperson) is very odd. The managers push for genuineness to the point where it’s insincere. They have me repeat back to them what they want me to say to the client, and yet wants it to be “natural”. Want to you spend time to get to know the client, but when there’s a rush, don’t take time at the register or on the floor. They expect you to know a persons whole life in the span of 10-15 minutes. I was in the middle of a conversation when one of the “SSA’s” (basically special name for a salesperson who sells a lot) closed my sale and told my customer to have a good day. A SAM (senior salesperson, you have to be with the company for more than 5 yrs) asked a woman “omg you live there? There’s so many homeless people and junkies!” How does a senior salesperson feel comfortable asking that question? Do go backs, but also check on your customer, and the one minute that you leave to do go backs, your customer asks someone else for something and they decide to take that client because you weren’t there or “not checking up on her”. They’re very anal about small things, it’s almost unproductive.

Advice to Management

“It’s a woman’s prerogative to change her mind” sounds really strange. Also, let us close the ******* doors, your patrons are freezing their butts off to the point where they don’t want to try anything on because it’s too cold to get undressed.

6. "Store manager"

Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Retail Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Aritzia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Aritzia is by far the best of the best in terms of retail. It is so inspiring to work alongside such an amazing group of strong, beautiful, and tenacious ladies. It is nice to know your voice is heard here, and you can truly have the ability to run your own business.

Cons

Not applicable at this time.

7. "Cash Desk Employee"

I have been working at Aritzia full-time

Pros

Easy interview, was hired on the spot. Tight group of gals/guys, they hire good personable people with similar personalities so everyone gets along. Most managers are professional and affirming, great discount and pay is good.

Cons

No formal training, you're just thrown into the force and expected to learn fast. Some of the managers live on a high horse, feel as if they can talk down to you. Very cut throat environment, especially for the sales associates, can be catty and high stress. Organization at management level is poor, communication also poor with hours and scheduling and help etc. Lots of issues with scheduling that are difficult to get addressed. Never get out of your shift on time, especially when its busy.

"Stay Away"

Former Employee - Style Advisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Style Advisor in New York, NY

I worked at Aritzia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discounts on clothing, ability to flex between different stores

Cons

Disorganized, Management displays favoritism, unpredictable hours, condescending co-workers, unrealistic expectations

Advice to Management

Train newbies, provide more incentives, appreciate your style advisors instead of pitting against each other

9. "Pretty bad experience"

Pros

Discount and pretty good pay for retail

Cons

Too sales focused- there should be no need to feel the need compete with coworkers. Every move is constantly being watched. Little to no training, was told on the first day to just get on the floor and pick up a client. Never had basic trainings like register training but was expected to learn it myself.

Advice to Management

Be more clear about expectations with sales at the beginning. A full training should be done before a new hire steps foot on the floor.

10. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at Aritzia part-time

Pros

Pay pretty well for retail

Cons

very competitive and no social life