Arizona Department of Economic Security Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Arizona Department of Economic Security Interim Director Henry Darwin
Henry Darwin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • They have really great Benefits (in 15 reviews)

• Good benefits, annual merit bonus, (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of turnover due to low pay and employees not fitting into the culture or philosophy (in 10 reviews)

• 11% of pay invested into the retirement system so your salary isn't as much as listed, upper management is somewhat broken (in 10 reviews)

"Typical Government Job"

I worked at Arizona Department of Economic Security full-time

Pros

Great benefits
    Excellent Paid Time Off

Cons

No raises
    No advancement
    Too much politics in staffing

Advice to Management

Figure out the direction and stick with it, stop blaming employees for your inability to lead.

2. "My experience...please read every word."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Arizona Department of Economic Security full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The feeling of helping out somebody. The good feeling you get when you help out somebody when they are hurting. Potlucks and when previous employees visit you. Being able to multitask at a job you like. Seemingly being able to make as much money as you can if you know how to make as much money as you can. Respectful and polite bosses and select quality coworkers and Administrative personnel. People caring for one another when they decide to. The community you serve... the communities you serve that are grateful for your efforts. Being able to tell anybody that will listen how much you love your job certain days because of how grateful people are of your work.

Cons

The lack of pay, no desire from upper management to give us raises. Terrible people that get called state employees who continue to be employed as state employees and are freely able to lateral transfer anywhere they want because upper management is scared to do anything for fear of retaliation. Lack of supplies waiting long times for supplies. No stipend for employees who have extra skills and qualities that can help their office and their caseload and or Community they serve. Slap-on-the-wrist mentality from the community we serve when they do not want to do the basics to allow us to do our job effectively. The feeling of cliques at every office, members of the clique who are the first to know about opportunities and good information to benefit their group and not the greater good. Minimal employee recognition for those that do their job exceptionally well. Favorable assignments being given to a certain community of state employee. Assignments given to State Employees while knowing by the person that assigns it basic Community breaches will be made. Assignments being awarded at the last minute in order to give minimal preparation to the person given the assignment. Covering assignments because the person that was assigned the assignment originally did not care to do it right and we're the ones that are going to get in trouble due to the actions of the lateral employee. The intimidation tactics of one state employee to others of one group that state employees to others. The feelings of not being welcomed by others because you are different and you actually care about doing your job.

Advice to Management

Do you care that bad employees are still employed with the state and at each office? Do you care that quality state employees are leaving in droves because of pay because of lack of opportunities to advance and because you high-ranking people don't care about us? Do you care that we have to wait a long time to get supplies to be able to do our job effectively? Do you care that select people are excluded from very pertinent information so that certain people can benefit and not the ones that are left out? Do you care that state employees are you able to lateral transfer like hotcakes when the going gets tough and the supervisors are afraid to start the proceedings to fire them for fear of retaliation? Are you hiring people that much of a coward to do the job the right way? Is your cowardice as such that you prefer to share the information amongst your group of Super Friends? Do you not care that people don't announce who got promoted knowing that there's going to be a backlash because of how scamful for the application process is? Do you not understand how much of an honor it is to be considered a government employee and people are mailing it in from day one and the older employees do not care enough until they get to retirement age? Will you even read this and care about what I was brave enough to post?

"Anonymous"

I worked at Arizona Department of Economic Security full-time

Pros

Good benefits, Great co-workers, got the opportunity to help those in need.

Cons

Seriously micromanaged, down to having to report when using restroom. Times are more important than employees.

4. "Liars = Thieves."

Current Employee - Clerk in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Clerk in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Arizona Department of Economic Security full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Not many, and they are overshadowed by the bad. (like having a Kelly temp for a supervisor).

Cons

This employer told us we were on a temporary wage freeze and to please be patient about eleven years ago, we meaning Clerks/OST/Scantech2/CSR's. We were lied to and they took that money and gave it to the Interviewers. (also no cost of living increase).

Advice to Management

I wish the very worst for the top level management that had anything to do with the removal of our pay increases + no cost of living increase, rot in Hell.

"Worst employer I ever had"

Former Employee - Program Service Evaluator III in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Program Service Evaluator III in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Arizona Department of Economic Security full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The money and benefits are good.

Cons

You cannot advance unless you’re on the management favorite list.

Advice to Management

Go to hell

"Worst job ever!"

I worked at Arizona Department of Economic Security full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only way to ensure that you survive that place is to document everything, save every email from management and personnel, your attorney will be glad you did when it comes time to sue them. Know your rights, believe it or not, you still have a couple.

Cons

The place is all about patronage and kissing the right butt. Management is totally incompetent and useless; they spend most of their time playing around on the internet or shooting the breeze with their pals.

Advice to Management

Why bother, they think they know everything about every thing there is to know about.

"Not what you know it's all about Who you blow. The place needs massive reform."

Former Employee - Management Analyst
    Former Employee - Management Analyst

I worked at Arizona Department of Economic Security (More than 10 years)

Pros

Not many. There are no pros to working here, find better employment.

Cons

This origination is a friend and family affair, stay away.

Advice to Management

Fire most mid management and most lazy employees

"DES"

I have been working at Arizona Department of Economic Security (More than a year)

Pros

This is a very large agency that serves a lot of people and has a lot of opportunity. There are a lot of promotional opportunities.

Cons

There has definitely been too much turnover at the top of the organization, and morale has definitely suffered from lack of vision and lack of communication.

Advice to Management

Management needs to get the work environment stabilized. They need to look for untapped resources within their employee ranks, because there's a lot of talent at the agency but a lot of it is misutilized or underutilized

"Horrible leadership"

Pros

State benefits is the only pro

Cons

Severe lack of management, supervision, direction, and leadership

"Overall: Not Bad"

Current Employee - Program Service Evaluator in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Program Service Evaluator in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Arizona Department of Economic Security full-time (More than a year)

Pros

By far, the best benefit of working here is the benefits. The State of Arizona offers amazing health insurance.

Cons

The agency routinely makes exceedingly stupid decisions and has outdated, broken software.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees