Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Not at this time"

I have been working at Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System full-time

Pros

Flexibility and ability to move around the agency.

Cons

I will add more later here.

2. "Smart People to work with"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I enjoy my job and the people with whom I work. Tom Betlach is the smartest Director ever. And I've worked for a lot of them. There are new challenges every day.
    You cannot beat state benefits.

Cons

The only way to get a raise is to get a promotion.

Advice to Management

I appreciate that my division leaders are always looking for ways we can be better. Lean has highlighted that, but I think they've always been doing that.

3. "OIG Terrible Supervision"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employer (state) health insurance with options

Cons

Lack of integrity. Good-ol' girls club. Back door antics for the the inspector general to put her friends where she wants them--promotions, contract employees, special treatment for her personal baby sitter. Management by threat constantly. HR representatives are bias toward management instead of neutral as they should be. The Director never talks to any other level of employee except the IG so he is uninformed about the antics. Or he does knows.

Advice to Management

Use the current IG's tactic of removing people she does not like to replace them with people she does like. Except use this rule: The replacements need to have demonstrated integrity and management experience. This should be the "likeable" quality. Stop attacking the whistle blowers.

5. "Senor Rule Writer"

I worked at Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System full-time

Pros

coworkers are great resources, always willing to assist each other.

Cons

I prefer not to comment.

Advice to Management

I prefer not to comment

6. "Compliance Specialist"

I have been working at Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System full-time

Pros

Telecommuting 2 days a week.

Cons

Micro-managed. No training offered.

Advice to Management

Hire a training coordinator.

7. "Program Manager"

I have been working at Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System full-time

Pros

Flexible Work Environment, great work life balance, good pay for public service, very respectful and happy employees

Cons

no raises but you can move up through applying for internal jobs, missing 1/3 of the workforce since the recession

Advice to Management

n/a

8. "Good place to work."

Pros

Strong well-run organization. Good place to learn about Medicaid

Cons

Working at AHCCCS was overall a good experience.

9. "ISD application management has no concern for employees"

Former Employee - Senior Applications Developer, Programmer Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

quality, knowledgeable.fellow employees for the most part, decent retirement, excellent health care

Cons

For an agency supposedly dedicated to helping the medically needy, management has serious issues in their own house. They have no concern for your well being, i.e. medical or disability issues are ignored. I saw a situation where a layoff let go of a person who was obviously depressed, a 100% blind person who did an amazing job especially considering his issue and a person suffering from M.S. who was forced to maintain 24 hour coverage for 2 systems as well as working both positions on a daily basis causing the MS to exacerbate and drag them down to where, post layoff, they immediately qualified for disability via the federal SSIDI system as well as State of AZ retirement disability. Not sure who else was let go but these people seemed to have been set up for removal. How can a system like this run such a ship and still pretend to care about people??? Stay away from this employer

Advice to Management

Application manager, as an agency supposedly dedicated to caring for people you are doing an incedibly poor job,

"OIG lacks leadership and integrity"

Current Employee - Investigator - Task Force in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Investigator - Task Force in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits and staff that are working to make AHCCCS a gread place.
    Coworkers share a level of trust and mutual respect.

Cons

Management starting with Inspector General down to supervisors. Place runs off of fear and making employees feel unimportant. Some supervisors have no education outside of having been in state service for 20 years. Be prepared to be scolded and belittled daily. High turn over but nobody looks into why or addresses employee concerns.

Moral is very low and employees do not want to give input due to supervisors ridicule or negative attitude.

Advice to Management

Communicate and be respectful of your employees. OIG runs because staff not managers. Look at your high turnover and speak with current employees on what is wrong and fix it!

11. "Pas assessor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Great flexibility, nice people and excellent medical benefits

Cons

Salary is low and no step raises.