Arizona Humane Society Reviews | Glassdoor

Dr. Steven Hansen

1. "AHS review"

Current Employee - Volunteer Enagement Assistant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Volunteer Enagement Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

AHS is a great organization to work for. Even though we are spread across multiple locations, we will go out of our way to help another location or department because it will benefit our overall cause. Every time I come to work I'm greeted with smiles. It truly feels we are a family here and support each other both in and out of work.

Cons

We are constantly growing and changing. With that, comes a learning curve. It can feel at times we throw projects together without thinking things through or having done all the necessary prep work (i.e. hiring staff support or putting together materials for the public). It can also feel like there are too many cooks in the kitchen and too many departments trying to put in their input on projects.

Advice to Management

I think it would be beneficial for the VPs to sit down and really think about which departments are needed to get projects off the ground as well as what is truly needed to begin new projects (i.e. the bottle baby nursery. What staffing is needed? What does volunteer support look like? How does fostering play into it?) before throwing it all together.

2. "Underpaid"

Former Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Arizona Humane Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers, nice doctors, fun environment to work in if the co-workers work well together as a team.

Cons

Management, hours, they need to get more organized with the way they run the clinic

3. "Started positive but ended sour."

Current Employee - Behavior Evaluator in Sunnyslope, AZ
    Current Employee - Behavior Evaluator in Sunnyslope, AZ

I have been working at Arizona Humane Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with animals, everyone with the exception of management is dedicated,

Cons

Emotional toll from less then compassionate management team; very little communication between management and workers; benefits were a joke

Advice to Management

Listen to employees. Honest reviews to provide feedback for employee development.

5. "Awesome Company!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Arizona Humane Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked at AHS for about two and a half years and the changes I have seen occur throughout the company since I've started have been amazing. Everyone here truly does care about the animals and will do everything possible to save every life. Compared to companies I have worked for in the past, AHS is by far my favorite when comparing the way employees are treated. I feel as though my opinion truly matters and am always treated with respect. Also, this is the first job I have every had with benefits, PTO, and major holidays off.

Cons

Not so much about the company, but about some of the things you may experience. You will see a lot of pets who are sick,injured and abused and who come from horrible living conditions and it will affect you emotionally. But, that's part of the territory when working for any animal rescue and is why we do what we do.

"Getting Fired"

Former Employee - Animal Care Specialist in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Animal Care Specialist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Arizona Humane Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was very rewarding to take care of animals that needed the most care. Getting animals adopted to great families is the best feeling.

Cons

The management doesn't seem to care about the employees, they don't listen to the employees (the ones who are actually doing the work and not sitting at desks) about what could work better. They have fired people over petty things when they have showed that they are trying and have been loyal employees for years. They go off of hear-say more than asking the employee what actually happened.

Advice to Management

They need to focus more on the comfort of the employees, making sure they feel comfortable working there rather than themselves

"If you like to work with animals"

Former Employee - Receiving Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Receiving Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Arizona Humane Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Enjoyed working with the animals

Cons

Seeing injured and abused animals

"Toxic management"

Former Employee - Veterinary Technician in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Veterinary Technician in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Arizona Humane Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Caring for homeless/injured animals along side some of the most dedicated, hard working people. There are many people working towards the same goal who really love and care about the animals

Cons

The management practices are absolutely appalling. If anyone speaks up about any of the unfair and unprofessional behaviour, they should prepare to lose their a job even if they are speaking to the HR person.
    Managers are notorious for firing people they don't like and showing ridiculous favoritism to people they do like.
    Never before have I seen favoritism to this extent. The favored staff can be belligerent, rude, lazy, absent, break any rule, complain constantly, belittling to others and smoke more then they work without being disciplined but the employees who haven't been granted membership into the cool kids club are treated like they don't exist or endure constant criticism in which they are blamed unfairly.
    Managers have no real management training but will protect their positions fiercely. They have been known to encourage employees to quit before they fire them and also make a regular habit of firing people who have worked for the organization for several years or more without any prior complaints/warnings.

Advice to Management

You are the worst and most incompetent people I have ever attempted to work under/around. I really hope that you experience the same treatment that you've shown to others. You deserve to be falsely accused and not given any opportunity to make corrections. You deserve to have your jobs threatened and held over your head for weeks before being fired for an event that never happened. Your the worst management I've ever had to work with.

"management is horrible"

Former Employee - Veterinary Technician in Sunnyslope, AZ
    Former Employee - Veterinary Technician in Sunnyslope, AZ

I worked at Arizona Humane Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helping people with there pets

Cons

Managment doesn't know a head form a tail.

Advice to Management

replace all of them.

"veterinary technician"

Current Employee - Veterinary Technician in Sunnyslope, AZ
    Current Employee - Veterinary Technician in Sunnyslope, AZ

I have been working at Arizona Humane Society full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It was great being able to attend to sick, injured, abandoned homeless animals. Very rewarding in that sense.

Cons

Management sucks. If they don't like you, they will keep finding reasons to fire you. Have to watch your back if you're not on their good side. I have seen it happen to too many people that were hard workers. Very negative environment. Management and some staff members are bullies. You are told more about what you're doing wrong rather than getting a pat on the back for getting a good job. Very high school, clicky. Half of the staff smokes so be ready to over work yourself because no one else is there to help out and nothing is ever done about that ongoing problem. You'll also get in trouble if you speak up on behalf of the animals.

Advice to Management

Management needs to be cleaned out and filled with fresh faces that actually care about their employees. It's a very physically and emotionally draining job.

"The AHS does great work for the animals but they do not support or develop their people. Low pay no growth"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Arizona Humane Society full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The beautiful campus at South Mountain is fantastic for the animals and a very nice facility to work in. Opportunity to work with some great people, volunteers and employees, who really care about animals and are dedicated and committed to their well being.

Cons

Great CEO but really poor management beyond that. Unorganized and inconsistent training does not set employees up for success, constantly changing policies and procedures are not effectively communicated because managers rarely interact with their teams and are condescending and dismissive when they do. New programs are rolled out before operational and logistical issues are worked out, causing unnecessary confusion, stress and errors. No performance improvement plans only disciplinary action.

Advice to Management

Evaluate your management team not by how well they manage up (they are very good at that), but how well they actually support, develop and manage their teams, turnover would be a good indicator. Treat your non management employees with respect and give them the training and the tools to do their jobs well. Have careers path that would support and reward hard work. Promote from within, lots of people with valuable business skills and experience take positions well below their skill set (and pay grade) to get the opportunity to work for and advance within the AHS, reward that. Look at your management culture.