Arizona Humane Society Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Dr. Steven Hansen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Animal Care Specialist"

I have been working at Arizona Humane Society full-time

Pros

Lots of PTO. Many different areas to work and train in.

Cons

Feeling comfortable enough to speak to management regarding concerns. Trying to avoid the rumor mill.

2. "Vet Tech"

I have been working at Arizona Humane Society full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people who work in Second Chance are like family. You leave at the end of the day knowing that you've helped animals. The 401K and PTO are great!

Cons

The health benefits are good if your single and healthy. If you have other people to add or need to have surgery the payments and deductible are not affordable for most of the people who work there.
    If you enjoy working with a manager who has not worked in the area they are in charge off and has no idea what they are doing and plays favorites then this is the place for you.
    Everyone is working hard but that is not recognized or appreciated it no matter how much you do it is not enough. It is more about the dollars and numbers instead of being about what is best for the animals.

Advice to Management

The people in charge need to come out of the office and actually work in the area they are supposed to be in charge of. Stop playing favorites and give the same treatment to everyone.

3. "Great Place to work"

I worked at Arizona Humane Society (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing passionate employee's. LOTS of PTO

Cons

This can be an emotionally challenging job. Go in with your eyes open, understanding that everyone there is doing everything they can.

4. "Underpaid"

Former Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Arizona Humane Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers, nice doctors, fun environment to work in if the co-workers work well together as a team.

Cons

Management, hours, they need to get more organized with the way they run the clinic

5. "Field office"

I have been working at Arizona Humane Society part-time

Pros

Beautiful South Mountain campus. Working near the animals.

Cons

Seeing the sad animal faces.

6. "Great Co-Workers"

I have been working at Arizona Humane Society full-time

Pros

Advancement opportunities and a willingness to train employees.

Cons

Salary not great in some areas, but I believe it’s typical for jobs in the animal field. Exhausted and overworked staff.

Advice to Management

Get involved with your employees day to day more. Helping them out and showing them that you care will relief some of their stress. Take a break from your office.

7. "Started positive but ended sour."

Current Employee - Behavior Evaluator in Sunnyslope, AZ
    Current Employee - Behavior Evaluator in Sunnyslope, AZ

I have been working at Arizona Humane Society full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with animals, everyone with the exception of management is dedicated,

Cons

Emotional toll from less then compassionate management team; very little communication between management and workers; benefits were a joke

Advice to Management

Listen to employees. Honest reviews to provide feedback for employee development.

8. "AHS Review"

I have been working at Arizona Humane Society full-time

Pros

Working at AHS has been so fun! It is great to work alongside individuals/teams who share the same passions and ideas. The organization truly cares about its employees and goes out of the way to provide a variety of staff enrichment activities. While we are spread all over the valley, its very easy to get on a one-on-one basis with staff from different departments and locations.

Cons

The organization has and is undergoing a tremendous amount of change and sometimes it can be a bit difficult to follow its new direction. However, I think it was time for things to change for the better even if there are growing pains. Given that it is an animal shelter, it can be a bit emotionally draining at times, but that is to be expected.

Advice to Management

I think at times management enforces new procedures and policies without giving the proper background information on them, which results in employees not being set up for success. Because the organization is undergoing such a large change, it would be nice for management to explain the reasoning or concept behind new programs and procedures instead of just giving out tasks. I think it would make staff, particularly front line employees, feel more included and appreciated.

9. "Poorly Managed, Toxic Environment."

I have been working at Arizona Humane Society full-time

Pros

Amazing work for the animals and opportunities to get creative with new programs.

Cons

Toxic upper management. All of the company's effort is put towards customer experience with complete disregard for the exhausted and overworked staff. The company continues to demand new programs and push the already overworked staff beyond the breaking point. The level of care provided to the animals is suffering and communications between departments and ranks is non-existent. The staff has no idea what the organization is doing or where it is going. Management threatens your job if you cannot keep up with the demands, which have quadrupled in the past year. Staff and middle management crying in the halls, offices, and parking lot is common-place. New policies and programs are demanded by the executive team with no notice or explanation. Poor decisions are being made, especially regarding medical policy.

Advice to Management

Stop new development until staff is approved, hired, and trained to fill the ever-increasing work demands. Salaries and hourly wages need to be re-evaluated for all staff, not just entry level. Decide on an end goal and steps to achieve that goal, then share with the staff. Reevaluate the medical policies and use sound medical judgement to determine new programs and policies.

10. "AHS review"

Current Employee - Volunteer Enagement Assistant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Volunteer Enagement Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

AHS is a great organization to work for. Even though we are spread across multiple locations, we will go out of our way to help another location or department because it will benefit our overall cause. Every time I come to work I'm greeted with smiles. It truly feels we are a family here and support each other both in and out of work.

Cons

We are constantly growing and changing. With that, comes a learning curve. It can feel at times we throw projects together without thinking things through or having done all the necessary prep work (i.e. hiring staff support or putting together materials for the public). It can also feel like there are too many cooks in the kitchen and too many departments trying to put in their input on projects.

Advice to Management

I think it would be beneficial for the VPs to sit down and really think about which departments are needed to get projects off the ground as well as what is truly needed to begin new projects (i.e. the bottle baby nursery. What staffing is needed? What does volunteer support look like? How does fostering play into it?) before throwing it all together.