Arizona Public Service Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 202 reviews

3.6
Arizona Public Service Company CEO Don Brandt
Don Brandt
Pros
  • "Good pay, great work, peaks and valleys amount of stress but overall I like it here(in 18 reviews)

• "Good benefits and yearly bonuses(in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • "Rotating shift hours (12hr) are not for everyone and require most people to sacrifice their work/life balance(in 9 reviews)

• "Upper management does not care about family values(in 8 reviews)

1. "Outstanding company"

Former Employee - Nuclear Security Officer in Tonopah, AZ

I worked at Arizona Public Service Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Benefits are outstanding, unlimited opportunities to advance in company.

Cons

Nuclear world is the twilight zone.

Advice to Management

Na

Arizona Public Service Company2019-07-18
  2. "Awesome place to work. Great in every aspect. Very flexible schedules. Second to none compensation and great benefits."

Current Employee - Engineer in Goodyear, AZ

I have been working at Arizona Public Service Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

Compensation, benefits include a pension and paid time off is best in the industry.

Cons

It can be a bit bureaucratic but nothing major.

Advice to Management

Great job attracting top talent and retaining them.

Arizona Public Service Company2019-08-19

"Overall a good company"

Current Employee - Energy Innovation Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Arizona Public Service Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, culture, and a fun work atmosphere. People really want what is best for the customers in Arizona.

Cons

Non-competitive pay, hard for young people to move up since everything is years of experience based.

Arizona Public Service Company2019-08-05

"Slow downward spiral to mediocrity"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Arizona Public Service Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Stable industry, company does try their best (spending rate payer funds) to appear squeaky clean in the eyes of the public.

Cons

This represents my personal opinion and personal experience. "Pension" is really an additional 401k match, not a real defined benefit pension. There was a real defined benefit pension plan at some point, but this was removed to cut costs. Appears to be a concerted erosion of regular employee pay/benefits while executives get $10,000,000+ pay packages. No stock options for regular employees. Relentless corporate... propaganda about how great the organization is while shutting off low income elderly customers power in the middle of the summer in Phoenix. Executives in charge of ensuring these easily avoidable PR nightmares are simply made responsible for less, but definitely keep their jobs (and probably pay), while regular employees who make mistakes are terminated with malice. Executives and entire departments should have been fired over missing the glaringly obvious error in policy and communication starting with our Chief Dinner Eater/Award Accepter Don Brandt. Incessant nauseating favoritism to the military. Completely ineffective ratings system. Caste system at APS in order: Palo Verde, Executives (and their friends), union, T&D, Fossil, then everyone else. Lots of long term "not my jobbers."

Advice to Management

Slow down on the internal propaganda and reverse the pay/benefits erosion. Stop trying to convince everyone APS is great....actually be great. Treat employees equally (yes even executives....*gasp*). Stop letting one external billionaire activist determine how you run an entire company. If your leadership and policies were actually effective, we wouldn't be in our current boondoggle. Get rid of ineffective... management/executives. Make Daniel Froetscher CEO. We don't need another typical Corporate Talking Head applying 1960 broken GE-like logic hiring consultants to tell them which workers APS can lay off. We need a visionary who knows the business, the people and ACTUALLY cares about customers and employees (Daniel Froetscher). Think John Legere, not Eddie Lampert.

Arizona Public Service Company2019-08-04

"Worst company I’ve ever worked for"

Former Employee - Back Office in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Arizona Public Service Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

The health benefits are decent, PTO is average.

Cons

Pretty much the worst company I have ever worked for; it’s a dinosaur that has the same working mentality 100 years ago. I was required to work 8-5, no matter what. For instance I was sick one day and wanted to work from home so that my team didn’t get sick as well. Got a call from my manager saying if I was sick enough not to come in then take PTO. No perks that new age companies have (coffee, snacks, break rooms).... Had to work multiple holidays even though it was a company holiday. The company is too cheap to have a Christmas party, so our team had a potluck. If you want a company that is stuck in the dark ages with nothing on the horizon; this is for you.

Advice to Management

Get out of the dark ages if you want to attract top talent.

Arizona Public Service Company2019-07-27
  6. "Great utility company to work for in AZ"

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Arizona Public Service Company full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great pay and benefits and enjoy working with the people around

Cons

People are stretched thin in some positions which means a large workload. At least you can stay busy.

Advice to Management

There are opportunities to move up but it's hard to move into a supervisor/manager position if you're already internal, if jobs require prior management experience. Could provide more work from home opportunities as well for IT, considering they use offshore contractors. Internal IT Helpdesk needs some work (should be moved back inside)

Arizona Public Service Company2019-06-14

"Great utility company to work for but could do better"

Current Employee - IT Systems Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Some benefits are competitive in comparison to similar sized utility companies. Care about the communities they serve.

Cons

Stagnated career path and difficult to move into supervisor/manager role as such positions are for well connected internal individuals. Limited IT continuous training for your job role. Pay not as competitive compared to other IT organizations.

Advice to Management

Invest a little more of front-line IT employees by providing career growth paths and sustainable future workforce.

Arizona Public Service Company2019-06-17
  8. "Enjoyable work environment"

Current Employee - Network Administrator in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

Professional atmosphere/work environment without being rigid. Numerous benefits, pension, 401K, education etc.

Cons

Consistency and continuity within the IT group. It's improving but needs work. Decentralized work environment between teams can make work a challenge at times.

Advice to Management

Place trust in your employees, be consistent with rewards and reprimands. Training for employees needs to be a priority. APS still lags behind the tech market overall, when it pertains to compensation. Employee skill sets, knowledge, responsibilities, are considerably higher compared to other employers or industries. They should be paid for these skill sets, at the minimum, fair market value.

Arizona Public Service Company2019-05-14
  9. "Not too bad"

Current Employee - Mechanic in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Arizona Public Service Company full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pay is average to above average. Work hours, and decent work/life balance.

Cons

Slow to change the way business is done.

Arizona Public Service Company2019-04-15

"An Operations Company"

I have been working at Arizona Public Service Company full-time

Pros

A stable job that will provide well. Most people are very friendly. Some very smart people working here.

Cons

Lack of opportunity; internal cliques dictate who gets promoted rather than ability. Engineering organization has too many issues to list.

Advice to Management

Get involved! Instead of spending time sucking up to the leaders above you, pay attention to your employees.

Arizona Public Service Company2019-04-13