KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

4.3
Arizona State University President Michael M. Crow
Michael M. Crow
1,289 Ratings
Pros
  • "Nice work environment for research(in 163 reviews)

• "Flexible hours that allows work-life balance(in 110 reviews)

• Cons
  • "It would be nice if there was more benefits for student workers(in 53 reviews)

• "The pay was minimum wage and limited to how many hours you can work(in 43 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Arizona State University and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Amazing

Jun 13, 2021 - Sundevil Rewards CMS Assistant in Tempe, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great workplace Great benefits Good pay Good work life balance Great incentives

Cons

Hours may vary Lot of management in between

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

A Place with Room to Grow

Jun 8, 2021 - Manager in Tempe, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, including employee tuition benefit at all three state universities, are wonderful. This is a place to learn and grow, and not just if you are a student. ASU is like a medium-sized city in and of itself, and there is a culture of growth, innovation, and continuous improvement in how we work and serve students and the community. Not every department is the same - that's a given at such a large institution. But there are ample opportunities to connect with great people and to be involved in meaningful and impactful work.

Cons

Pay rates may be lower than in some other places, but as I mentioned, benefits make up a large part of the compensation. It can be easy for some to feel lost in such a huge workplace. Make a friend; volunteer; find a place where you can connect in order to feel less lost.

3. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 8 years

Take it or leave it, ASU is what you make of it

Jun 9, 2021 - Graduate Student Teaching Assistant in Tempe, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

ASU has everything. There's someone studying any imaginable topic. There are great labs, facilities and student activities. ASU generally looks out for both students and employees. Michael Crowe is a visionary showing one path toward the future of higher education.

Cons

Absolute grind for graduate students. Some departments and faculty (ab)use graduate student's time, using all of it for teaching or pet projects that set students up for failure in their own research.

4. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

RUN

May 9, 2021 - Community Director in Tempe, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

I met some incredible people and made some of my closest friends. I got to chaperone fun trips like Disneyland and Sedona. I also got to work on some really cool projects that ultimately set me up to be successful in my next job. I left before COVID hit, but we had really large budgets. You are able to do a lot of cool and creative programs.

Cons

Working this job completely wrecked my mental health. I was regularly working 50-60 hours a week. Offering critical feedback is not welcomed. You’ll be criticized for having a negative attitude and your opportunities will quickly start vanishing. If you’re gonna work at ASU, I hope you love sports! You will be forced to get students to football and basketball games by any means necessary. They don’t want to go, but leadership doesn’t care. If they’re not at games, you’re not doing your job. At ASU, the only constant is change. Your coworkers will leave. Your boss will leave. The director will leave. The turnover rate is so high that you’re constantly losing coworkers and retraining new ones with less work experience than the person that came before them. People are burnt out and miserable and no one cares. You’re expected to shut up and do your job with a smile even if it’s killing you. If a coworker leaves, you’re expected to do their work on top of yours. If you can’t get it all done between 9-5, you’re expected to stay until midnight if you have to. It’s just plain toxic.

1 person found this review helpful
    5. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Innovative and ever changing university means opportunities for growth and development

Mar 30, 2021 - Academic Success Specialist in Tempe, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

*Lots of opportunity to grow and develop as university changes. *Have the potential to work at other ASU campuses and experience it's one campus, many places philosophy and the unique needs those campus dynamics and campus culture communities have. *ASU is great at offering professional development opportunities for it's staff and faculty and the one unique opportunity offered is Council on the Status of Women conference open to all staff in the fall semester.

Cons

*That parking is not built into are benefits package and we end up paying sometimes such a large amount to pay for parking or even a light rail pass, which doesn't get discounted for faculty or staff either. *For years we were asked to take surveys about transportation to and from work, whether we were willing to work a flex schedule, but before COVID nothing like this was ever seriously looked at. With space so limited at the ASU main campus, it seemed like working from home or working a flex schedule would have been something figured out sooner?

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great environment, but postdocs should be treated like regular employees

Jun 1, 2021 - Postdoctoral Fellow
      Business Outlook

Pros

Really friendly people, supportive research community. Great grants admins!

Cons

Annoying travel approval process that seems to get more annoying with justifications (e.g. need to justify why we can't book an Airbnb through their preferred travel vendor). At least some buildings don't have their own generator, so my data analysis has been interrupted before by power outages. Don't give 403b matching benefits to postdocs, and vacation accrual expires every year (10 days only).

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good experience!

Jun 12, 2021 - Co-Instructor
      Business Outlook

Pros

The co-instructor role is a good way to keep a foot in the theory and academia

Cons

Nothing at this time! It's a great side job!

8. 5.0
      Former Employee

Great Experience

Jun 11, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

• Fully Remote work. • Gained experience in formal email communications. • Flexible times.

Cons

• Depends upon the supervisor. Mostly none.

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Awesome Team

Jun 8, 2021 - AFROTC Personnel Manager in Tempe, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

Love the camaraderie, and the cookies every year for Christmas!!

Cons

My job was contracted, so I don't work there anymore.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Understaffing is undermining big ideas

Jun 2, 2021 - Senior Program Manager in Tempe, AZ
      Business Outlook

Pros

This place is full of big thinkers who have come here because ASU says it is committed to big ideas. It's wonderful and exciting. President Crow is inspiring.

Cons

Where we invest our resources is a demonstration of cultural integrity... and we have perpetually understaffed the big ideas, which need support to reach their full potential. I've seen President Crow brag to ABOR about how low our staff-to-student ratio is compared to other universities; I think we've passed a threshold, with negative consequences.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 3,083 Reviews