Arkansas Blue Cross and Blue Shield Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Curtis Barnett

Pros
  • Great benefits, great pay, very competitive internship (in 13 reviews)

• Room for growth, especially with the baby-boomers getting rwady to retire (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • The Dallas office has been closed and all jobs moved to Little Rock, AR (in 3 reviews)

• Employee have to supply their own computer and phone when working from home (in 2 reviews)

1. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Arkansas Blue Cross and Blue Shield full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome Benefits. Great place to be.

Cons

I can not think of any cons.

2. "Life with baby enrollment coordinator"

Former Employee - Nursing Unit Coordinator in Little Rock, AR
    Former Employee - Nursing Unit Coordinator in Little Rock, AR

I worked at Arkansas Blue Cross and Blue Shield full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Raises every year in January

Cons

The promote staff to be managers with no exp.

Advice to Management

None

3. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Little Rock, AR

Pros

You can work flexible hours and from home a couple days a week.

Cons

Slow rate of advancement is the norm.

4. "Excellent place to work!"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in South Texarkana, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in South Texarkana, TX

I worked at Arkansas Blue Cross and Blue Shield full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Very competitive salary, advancement opportunities, education advancement, community service, family atmosphere.

Cons

There were no known cons. Loved working for Arkansas Blue Cross!

Advice to Management

Excellent leadership! Keep doing what you're doing.

5. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

Pros

Blue Cross has great benefits and has a family atmosphere.

Cons

Not too many cons at Blue Cross.

"Great job but stuck in the past"

Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Accounting Manager in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Arkansas Blue Cross and Blue Shield full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits and competitive salary.

Cons

Holds on to the past. Suggestions for change are a great way to be excluded from decision making. If you have not been here for 30 years, you don't know enough to critique processes.

Advice to Management

Limits and poor implementation of new accounting system should not drive business decisions.

7. "RN, BSN Case Manager"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse, BSN, Instructor in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse, BSN, Instructor in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Arkansas Blue Cross and Blue Shield full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None that I can think of at this time. This company took reverse racial discrimination to the negative from Little Rock, Arkansas to Dallas, Texas..

Cons

Continue looking, do not even consider as you will only lose faith in Nursing and fellow Man. There is only so much to be overlooked and the turnover should have told them there were problems that were not going away.

Advice to Management

Bring in someone from a Real HR consulting firm and cut out all hiring, promoting of family, friends and long time worthless people that can blackmail someone at the top. I have never dug up so much trash on bosses in all of my career; all protected - sick. Board of Directors need to be let in on it; or maybe they are. . . .The place needs fresh air and sunshine for disinfectant.

"Nurse Case Manager Dallas Office A horrible culture. Bad place to work."

Former Employee - Nurse Case Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Nurse Case Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Arkansas Blue Cross and Blue Shield full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Annual Bonus, but the company lost so much money in 2016, there was no bonus. Medical insurance was low priced.

Cons

Training was incompetent and awful. Dallas office was treated like a scapegoat for the Little Rock office and often sabotaged. Communication between management in Little Rock to workers in Dallas was abhorrent. They could never decide what they wanted or make up their minds on how we should follow processes, they would change the process every week sometimes several times in one week. Their internal systems are a nightmare and there are constantly outages or workarounds, hoops the nurse have to jump through to do the documentation. The audits went from percentages to a pass fail system of compliant or non compliant requiring 100% perfection on all charts.
                They hired nurses with promises of flexible scheduling and options to work from home, then made things so impossible for those working from home by changing the rules or penalizing for petty grievances, people were drug back into the office. The work from home nurses had to furnish their own internet, phone, computer and phone lines. They do the bait and switch tactic frequently and are not to be trusted. We could never count on anything, they jerked us around all the time without conscience.
              They traumatize their employees. They are a very punitive fear mongering culture, bullying and constantly changing the rules about work from home requirements using whatever manipulative control and fear tactics they could . Because of the fear tactics and threats for disciplinary action for even the most minutely perceived transgression, the environment was very toxic and tensions ran high. They set their employees and their office up for failure. They can't keep a manager. The turnover was enormous. There were mass exodus' and a revolving door the entire time I was there. They drove off hundreds of good nurses that I saw and from what I've heard through the grapevine, they're still imploding and nurses are leaving each week. And they don't care. Their excessive punishments don't fit the perceived crimes. Run don't walk from that place and company.

Advice to Management

No self respecting professional nurse or human being would want to work with or for you because of the way you treat your employees in the Dallas office, and from reading some of the Little Rock reviews it's there too. There is no advice for you, you can't be fixed.

9. "Amazing place to work!"

Current Employee - EBI Medical Informatics Analyst I in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - EBI Medical Informatics Analyst I in Little Rock, AR

Pros

The atmosphere is amazing and not to mention the 10% of your salary profit sharing bonus is awesome too! There's also plenty of room for growth at the company as they like to promote from within.

Cons

It's very hard to get into the company if you don't know someone on the inside or have a huge amount of experience. Some do get luck enough to get chosen to work here though.

10. "All in all, a great company to work for."

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Little Rock, AR

Pros

Great benefits, usually a great work environment, good building security, PTO accrual increases the longer you are there, free parking.

Cons

Non-flexible hours for certain staff, favoritism, having to work under supervisors that know less about the job than you do. STD benefit is a joke.

Advice to Management

Lose the STAR interviewing technique, especially for internal candidates. That method does not guarantee you the best fit for the position. All it guarantees is someone who has practiced and knows how to "work the system" of a STAR interview and is a good storyteller.