Arkansas Federal Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

Arkansas Federal Credit Union Reviews

Updated Apr 6, 2019

Found 65 reviews

4.2
Arkansas Federal Credit Union CEO Rodney Showmar (no image)
Rodney Showmar
Pros
  • "I feel like everyday I can make a difference to those around me(in 5 reviews)

• "Great PTO Benefits, Corporate Culture is AWESOME, Great Work/Live Balance, Good Benefits (Mostly)(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "I have been working for AFCU for more than 5 years(in 9 reviews)

• "Upper Management only answers to the board(in 4 reviews)

1. "Best Employer Yet"

I have been working at Arkansas Federal Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

Being at Arkansas Federal has been the breath of fresh air that I've needed in my time in banking. I've very thankful for the leadership that is at this company, and the direction that they are taking the company. There are changes taking place, and I feel that the ones that are getting on board are seeing the benefits. Change is a good thing right now, and most of these have been long overdue. With most companies there is turnover, but there is a difference when it's necessary and unnecessary. The team we have in place in the company will take it places we've never seen before.

Cons

The company has done a great job of posting more jobs internally, but it still seems that jobs are created with particular employees in mind. This makes the interview process seem staged, and unnecessary when the employee that receives the job is announced. If leadership has an employee in mind let them work with that employee and not lead others on, or get their hopes up only to find out that the one that was hired is in the same "circle" as the leadership making the decision.

Arkansas Federal Credit Union2019-04-06
  2. "Arkansas Federal Credit Union is a great company"

I have been working at Arkansas Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have worked at another financial institution and the culture here is much better than anything I have experienced. The executive team really cares about the overall wellness of the employees. I can be whatever I want to be at this company. There is no glass ceiling keeping me from being more here. We are encouraged to be the difference and it is authentic. I feel like everyday I can make a difference to those around me. It is also awesome to work for a company who is dedicated to giving back to the community. If you go above and beyond and keep moving forward you are rewarded at this company. Arkansas Federal Credit Union encourages me to be the best version of me and be a difference.

Cons

Every once in a while you will run into a stagnant employee who is not representing the culture of Arkansas Federal Credit Union. They can be negative and hard to work with.

Arkansas Federal Credit Union2019-03-29
  3. Create your profile to get personalized information

4. "Be the Difference!"

Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Jacksonville, AR

I have been working at Arkansas Federal Credit Union full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone works as a TEAM & is treated as family instead of a employee. I made the best decision ever applying for a job with AFCU & I am so thankful for the amazing opportunity to be apart of this great group of individuals!

Cons

absolutely nothing I have found worth being put down as a con.

Arkansas Federal Credit Union2019-03-05
  5. "Making A Difference Every Day"

I have been working at Arkansas Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

My work has a purpose! What I do matters to our members.

Cons

None I can think of

Arkansas Federal Credit Union2019-03-05

"Propaganda at its finest"

I have been working at Arkansas Federal Credit Union full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay is higher than market average, which can also be a con when you are too afraid to leave it to find something healthier. Manager level and down are great people to work with, but anyone above that is a puppet-master.

Cons

Dysfunctional environment. Management by deceit and dishonesty. Morale is a problem, but you would never know it by asking because people are too afraid to speak up. But everyone talks about it behind closed doors. If you don't comply, you're gone. If you don't smile and swallow the lie, you're gone. It's easy to get good reviews when you run a new crop of fresh faces through your onboarding program and then tell them to go make a Glassdoor review. But the ones who have been here a while keep their mouth shut. After a couple of years, those who left good reviews wish they hadn't. Look through the old reviews and notice the gap in dates. They once asked for reviews and then got a bunch they didn't want. So they quit asking- the CEO even said he wished he never asked people to leave reviews. Now that we have fresh faces and the appropriate yes-men in positions of influence, they feel safe asking for reviews again. They talk a good game. I bought it. But work here at your own risk. It's not what you think it is, because it's not what they sell you. Yes, there are lots of trainings put on here. Because we are always changing things and putting employees and members through unnecessary stress. We also have to train because we keep losing employees. Nothing is done here unless it positively affects the bottom line. That is the basis for all decisions. We are profit-focused, not employee focused. And with $10 million in profits last year, no one asks any questions. No one asks why it's so hard to get employees to fill out engagement surveys- so hard they practically have to beg. As long as they keep making that money, everyone acts like everything is ok. But it is so fake.

7. "5 STAR EMPLOYER"

Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Cabot, AR

Pros

Arkansas Federal cares about their employees, recognizes hard work and promotes within the company! The benefits are better than any company I have ever worked for, going back to how much they care about their employees. Constantly training employees whether its for a new position or to grow in their career!

Cons

At Headquarters, they have a Starbucks machine, wish we had one here in Cabot

Arkansas Federal Credit Union2019-01-30
  8. "Great place to work!"

Pros

Wonderful culture; opportunities to grow and advance; competitive benefits. Philosophy is to Be the Difference --- employees encouraged to be active, involved community citizens. Company has stated goal to take care of Members and employees and they do.

Cons

May move slowly at times, which is also a Pro since decisions are made after careful consideration and research

Arkansas Federal Credit Union2018-12-07
  9. "Genuine Care & Concern for all Members (Employees and Customers)"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in Cabot, AR

Pros

Quality training, a true Culture of Caring and Concern for all Members (Employees and Customers), Benefits, Solid Training, Continued Development, Daily interaction with awesome folks, Strong Community Involvement and an Arkansas Original since 1956

Cons

Only one message chair in the break-room, ha. We need to have, at least, two!

Arkansas Federal Credit Union2018-12-08
  10. "Good employer with great benefits"

Pros

AFCU is a great employer offering good benefits and pay. The culture is unique and employee oriented. Communication has always been a good quality and there is great opportunity for individual growth if you are willing to put in the work.

Cons

Hiring process seems to be quite lengthy.

11. "AFCU is Awesome!"

I have been working at Arkansas Federal Credit Union full-time

Pros

Wonderful team environment, excellent member focus, great hours, love the holidays off, friendly and helpful coworkers

Cons

No job is perfect, but the positive definitely outweighs the negative!

Found 65 reviews