Arm Staff Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Staff Software Engineer

Create your profile to get personalized information

Arm Staff Software Engineer Reviews

Updated Nov 23, 2019

4.0
Arm Chief Executive Officer Simon Segars
Simon Segars
0 Rating
  1. "ARM A great company to work for"

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Olympia, WA

I worked at Arm full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Excellent benefits, healthcare, time-off, work-life balance, annual bonus, company stock, sabbatical

Cons

Conservative management, company is very risk-averse, new technology is not easily embraced. ARM is primarily a hardware company and isn't particularly good at managing software products.

Arm2015-10-06

"Big company but very little dead weight"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is the largest company I've worked for but the engineering and marketing staff are all very intelligent and productive. Benefits are top notch.

Cons

Legal department is understaffed and hyper conservative when it comes to open source because of their IP business. Lots of red-tape. IT is conservative but needfully so I suppose. Working outside the mothership (Cambridge) makes us a bit 2nd class citizens unless you're willing to travel to Europe and APAC frequently.

Arm2013-03-16

"More focus, more technical work and innovation, and less managers"

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Cambridge, England

I worked at Arm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Recognised name in the industry. Access to state-of-the-art hardware and software years before official releases. Opportunity to get in touch with a large amount of big names in the industry and build relationships.

Cons

Mostly no products - no focus at all on execution and delivery Lot of duplicated work between teams, almost absent communications between groups working on the same things - eventually this leads to re-organisations and layoffs Incredible amount of middle managers and self-declared tech leads who don't really lead anything, apart for their career in some safe spot. You can pass your day basically doing nothing and nobody will ever complain, unless you don't get along with the management, than they will pick on you on the next round of layoffs Went downhill since Softbank acquisition, as Softbank is either using Arm for financial/political reasons or they don't have a clue of what to do with it - basically late on every possible market expansion opportunity apart from mobile (AI, servers, autonomous driving, etc). Lots of inexperienced hires doing fundamental technical work, hence the work created on top of that will be flawed. No exit interview.

Arm2019-11-23

"It's worth coming to Manchester for"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Manchester, England

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

A beautiful office with many great people and only a few not so great ones. A great environment to work with a variety of projects spread between a number of teams. An employer that makes you feel wanted and valued, offering great benefits and flexibility.

Cons

Close to bustling Piccadilly Gardens and its users. Manchester is a pretty horrible place to commute into if you don't have a direct transport link or are dependent on your car.

Arm2019-05-07
  5. "Staff Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Cambridge, Gloucestershire, South West England, England

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Scrum based project management, Development & Engineering focus and very flexible work culture.

Cons

A bit hard for new starter due to insufficient OJT

Arm2019-04-27

"Review"

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Interesting projects to work on.

Cons

Administration and politics are getting more important than before. Thids is due to the company has been growing fast recently.

Arm2019-01-24
  7. "Good Salary and Package"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Cambridge, England

I have been working at Arm full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent work, good salary package, work-life balance, excellent joining bonus, yearly bonus 15% of the basic salary, a tax-free vacation allowance of £4,500, yearly partnership bonus, one month paid sabbatical every four years, 5 weeks yearly vacation, cycle to work scheme, and free health and life insurances

Cons

HR is bit lazy and the company hired by the ARM for conducting background checks, Hire Right, is very lazy, inefficient and very annoying

Arm2018-10-09

November 12, 2018Global Talent Brand Manager

Great to hear you are pleased with your surroundings. I would like the opportunity to pick up on the reference made about the HR team. Onboarding and Employee Experience is a key area for us and I'd like to learn a little more about your experience. Please ping me a note on GlassdoorFeedback@arm.com

Continue reading
  8. "Staff Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Cambridge, England

I worked at Arm full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Good environment - Nice salary - Many learning opportunities

Cons

May have some politics, but that is everywhere.

Arm2018-10-02

October 22, 2018Talent Acquisition Advisor

"Hi, Thanks so much for your positive feedback it's great to see that you enjoyed your time at Arm and that you felt that the learning opportunities, environment and salary were so great. We always strive to reflect our core beliefs and its really positive that you felt this way. It sounds like you have left, but please keep us in mind in your future career. Thanks again for the great review Katie

9. "It is good so far"

I have been working at Arm full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good atmosphere , brilliant people. Fair compensation. Good work & life balance.

Cons

Not enough human resources to do work. It impacts quality of the products.

Arm2018-04-01

July 11, 2018Talent Acquisition Advisor

Thank you for sharing your feedback on what we do well and what can be improved. With the speed we are growing, limited resources can impact quality of product as well workloads. So especially happy to hear your thoughts about the positive atmosphere and work & life balance.

Continue reading

"Best company I ever worked for"

Current Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Cambridge, England

I have been working at Arm full-time

Pros

I have worked for large enterprises and Arm is actually a small one compared to them. These big ones often have "sophisticated" systems around processes and I haven't found any that fits the purpose. They are usually imagined by someone ignorant at the top and implemented by someone ignorant at the bottom. Now in Arm it is completely the opposite. We have systems, cleverly put together, designed by clever people and they make our life easier. I am in Arm for not too long and I had many pleasant surprises how much effort Arm has put in to make it a good place to be in. And these efforts succeeded. I focused on the general feeling to work in Arm because the specifics will be different in every job/level/position, etc. For me as a seasoned software developer I find that the benefits are top and again I was surprised after joined the company, that the package is actually more than it was advertised. (Ask about FlexPot from your recruiter...)

Cons

I haven't found any so far

Arm2018-01-20

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 15 reviews